Do you mean the grainy semolina?

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 18 Jun 10 11:37pm

Squidgy

Occupation Police
From London - An exiled Boltonian
Member since Fri 03 Jul 09

Re: Pasta Flour???

I've tried to buy 00 flour from Sainsburys and Tescos. Must have been out of luck!

Plain flour works

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 19 Jun 10 5:56pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Yes, we gathered that from your other posts.  Reported for advertising.

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 17 Apr 12 8:48pm

philmcc

From Belfast, Britain
Member since Tue 17 Apr 12

Sainsbury's do in fact sell a oo flour in a pink bag called pasta flour so it may even have some semolina flour it it.. The 00 flour makes an enormous difference. With it the dough I'd slinky and perfectly elastic, does not break up and behaves beautifully especially when hand making pizza (no eggs) or pasta.

A few pointers.
the correct way to measure egg/flour ratio is to add whole eggs to a well in the flour, no water not oil, until wet enough.. more flour or an egg as required.

Try not to roll a pizza, just stretch and prod gently by fingertips.

My best pizza recipe is 500g tipo oo, 10g best flake salt, preferably Isle de Re fleur de sel. Mix in 325g warm water but leave to soak half an hour. Only 3g yeast, mix till elastic, five mins, then make into six balls to leave covered in the fridge for even a week to use as required

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 19 Oct 12 8:35am

philmcc

From Belfast, Britain

I asked a local pizza shop who supplied their 00 flour and bought some. Turns out to be pastry (soft low gluten) so I mixed with fine semolina to add gluten so it gets more rubbery when kneaded. But recently I found Tesco strong white for 60p a bag. Best result yet oops

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 15 Jan 13 6:16am

Squidgy

Occupation Police

I see you are north of the border so not sure if they have Sainsburys,

I was there the other day and they have an excellent range of foodie flours including the lesser spotted '00'.

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 15 Jan 13 7:28am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Not all the Sainsbury's stores stock the pasta flour .
I manage to buy 00 flour localy to me in a couple of Independant stores here in Cardiff also in Waitrose .

Last edited by mummza (Tue 15 Jan 13 7:29am)

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 15 Jan 13 12:45pm

philmcc

From Belfast, Britain

Sainsbury oo is a quid per kilo. Tesco strong is from 40p to 20p on 3 for2. Strong flour matures if you like more flavour, can be prepared and kept in the fridge for days to meet Utalian standards of at least 4hrs proving. Sainsburys has enough gluten for this process too with the distinct advantage of becoming silky smooth and elastic, other pastry 00 do not retain elasticity so must be used immediately with bland results which is why Jamie adds semolina, however if you work the tesco strong flour till rubbery then prove before balling and storing covered it stretches just fine with more flavour, perhaps less crunch than Sainsburys but for third the price

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 15 Jan 13 6:42pm

Squidgy

Occupation Police

philmcc wrote:

Sainsbury oo is a quid per kilo. Tesco strong is from 40p to 20p on 3 for2. Strong flour matures if you like more flavour, can be prepared and kept in the fridge for days to meet Utalian standards of at least 4hrs proving. Sainsburys has enough gluten for this process too with the distinct advantage of becoming silky smooth and elastic, other pastry 00 do not retain elasticity so must be used immediately with bland results which is why Jamie adds semolina, however if you work the tesco strong flour till rubbery then prove before balling and storing covered it stretches just fine with more flavour, perhaps less crunch than Sainsburys but for third the price

Superb post, thank you.
clap

Likes (0)