Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 22 Mar 07 4:00am

Mabsie

Member since Thu 15 Feb 07

Organic Gardening

I'm very sure the new series will be inspiring vegie gardens all over the world. There is absolutely nothing like a home grown tomato, or sharing your produce with friends, family and neighboours. In cheers to World Water Day today, don't forget to consider water saving measures when establishing your home or communal crop - mulching, drip irrigation...
Big thanks for the show Jamie - its inspirational on so many levels (I love the guy in the show that manages your garden!).

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 22 Mar 07 1:00pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Re: Organic Gardening

Or save the kids bath water & grab a bucket!

Im just getting my gardens in order as we moved in before Christmas, lucky for me & I have 5-6 tonnes of mulch arriving from the local tree lopping guy, my nephew used to work with him.

There is an old vegie patch up the back, but it has been sadly neglected, the weeds are bigger than me... lots of work on the horizon help

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 22 Mar 07 10:46pm

Lew1592

Occupation Still at school
From Aberdeen, Scotland
Member since Fri 24 Nov 06

I'm only 14 and I have been so inspired by jamie's garden I have decided to grow my own.  This summer im building a small vegi patch in my garden.  My family have backed my idea and i should be starting soon. smile

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 23 Mar 07 4:17am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Thats great Lew, I wish I had been that inspired at your age!

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 24 Mar 07 9:54pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Thats a lot of mulch Frizz! Good luck with your garden! How big will your garden be?

I started some seeds a couple of weeks ago; swiss chard/Lincoln peas/sweet basil and 2 baskets of nasturtiums... I went and looked at them today and they have all sprouted! Mind you they are in a heated house @ 20C but it's great when they all get going! I have a few more flats ready to go but need to pick up some more seeds.

I have never seen JO garden or the show you are talking about... I wonder if we get it here in Canada??

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 24 Mar 07 11:29pm

kimber

Forum champ
Occupation Mom and TKD Red Stripe
From Alberta
Member since Sat 24 Jun 06

bcrain,
We are supposed to be getting it in April. thumbsup   I have been checking the Food Network webpage but so far no info. 

I finally planted some Sweet Basil this morning.  I could not find any seeds or plants last summer!  Hopefully they will sprout soon (and the cats don't get them while I'm not looking lol  - no one has told them they aren't herbivores!)

Hope you are having a great day.
K

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 24 Mar 07 11:34pm

kimber

Forum champ
Occupation Mom and TKD Red Stripe
From Alberta
Member since Sat 24 Jun 06

Just checked again and this is what I found!  It starts on April 1st - Yah!!

www.foodtv.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=106378

I hope the link works ( I don't have much luck with stuff like this lol )

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 25 Mar 07 6:37am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

I'm lucky - I have a gardener who does as I tell him. lol

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 25 Mar 07 9:35am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I have a tiny garden but its a walled garden ,lovely old stone walls that have endless places for the slugs and snails to hide !
After 16 years of living in the house and removing all slugs and snails as I find them, I do beleive that we are beginning to get on top of the problem!
I think that I might be able to plant a few asparagas crowns this year in my tiny border.
The asparagas gives a beautiful fine fern which for the flower arangers amongest us ,( and I can not be counted as one! lol ), are lovely in flower arangements.
But the real reason for planting some is the delicious asparagas that just seems to pop up overnight during the short asparagas season. My father had a huge asparagas bed in his garden ,its something that I miss.
For the 'hayfever' sufferers ....its low pollen .

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 26 Mar 07 12:25am

Lew1592

Occupation Still at school
From Aberdeen, Scotland
Member since Fri 24 Nov 06

This sounds great, i always love to cook freshly grown foods.

Does anyone know where to find herbs, i so want to plant them???/ help

Likes (0)