forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 22 Mar 07 10:39pm

Lew1592

Occupation Still at school
From Aberdeen, Scotland
Member since Fri 24 Nov 06

Leek and Potato soup, GREAT FLAVOR AND FILLING FOR ANYONE.

Right Heres my recipe for my Leek and potato soup which i make in large batches every week and all my family can't get enough.

Heres what you will need:

Serves 8-10

3-5 Fresh Leeks.....Cut like a palm tree but not to the point that it is all the way through and soak in salty water.  Your leeks are noe ready to be chopped.
3-5 Medium/Large Onions
4-6 Chicken Stalk Cubes (this depends on the size of your pot, i use a 3.5 Litre stock pot)

Heres the fun bit....You can add Carrot, Potato, Herbs and almost anything that you can think of.....I even tried some peas and it went down a treat.  remember though that you dont need to use there.

Fill pot 3/4 with water and heat until boiling.
Chop and dice your Leek and Onion And place in pot.
Add Stalk Cubes
(at this point i usually add a dash of thyme and Parsley.

Leave to boil for 45mins to and hour...Regulary check and scum the bree.

Hope you enjoy this...please do not hesitate to ask for any questions.  i am more than happy to answer them. smile

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 23 Mar 07 2:50pm

Chanr

Forum champ
From Melbourne
Member since Mon 14 Mar 05

Re: Leek and Potato soup, GREAT FLAVOR AND FILLING FOR ANYONE.

Hi Lew. My mother often makes a similar vegetable soup and it goes down with the family very well. Adding parsninp, turnip, tomato and beetroot makes a treat. I always include celery as it gives it a good base flavour, peppercorns to give it kick.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 23 Mar 07 4:13pm

Grabar

Occupation Student.....wanna start a career as a chef!....don't know how to!
From Seacoast Croatia
Member since Thu 15 Mar 07

Hello everybody...........My family makes often a similar soup because we have some leeks growing in the garden......our passion is to make a home-grown vegetable stock........home-grown leeks are fantastic.....  lol ...we use to add some fresh beans,carrots,potatoes and parsley...sometimes I try to make a pure' from the vegetables when finished....so the soup becomes dense........fantastic! smile

The quality of the food you consume is directly proportional to the quality of life you have!
    Likes (0)

#4 Sat 24 Mar 07 12:55pm

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

I looooove potato and leek soup. I think there are some recipes over at the soups on thread too.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 26 Mar 07 12:22am

Lew1592

From Aberdeen, Scotland

Yea, sounds great, im writing all my recipies in a HUGE note book for future reference.   I like the idea of the home grown stuff..i always wanted to do that. big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 26 Mar 07 1:54am

cheftomny

From NY
Member since Sat 24 Mar 07

My mom always orders this from a local restaurant.  I can't wait to surprise her when I make this for her !

:-)

http://www.cheftomcooks.com      cool

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 26 Mar 07 10:10pm

Lew1592

From Aberdeen, Scotland

Whats the fun in ordering a soup, its much more fun to make it.  I get to use my knifes big_smile

Likes (0)