forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 25 Mar 07 8:18pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Wanted: thick and hearty pea and ham soup recipe

Well, daylight saving finished this weekend sad.

But since Autumn and Winter are my favourite seasons (food and other-wise), and since some "bright spark" threw out the Xmas ham bone (and I need to beg my butcher for another), does anyone have a thick, hearty and full of veggies (eg carrots) pea and ham soup to serve with my sunflower seed bread rolls?

Envy you in the Nthn Hemi with 4 "real" seasons. Just want to cuddle up under a rug, eat soup and watch a chick-flick (will be the football, here), still we can dream.

Thanks in advance. Plz let me know if I have to soak the ham bones in milk/water.

Maree

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Sun 25 Mar 07 8:54pm

gramma julie

From Southwestern Ontario
Member since Fri 16 Jul 04

Re: Wanted: thick and hearty pea and ham soup recipe

I love pea soup made with a big ham bone. I don't soak the ham bone ahead, but put it in a soup pot and cover with cold water, bring to a boil, skim and then start adding vegetables. I always toss in chopped onion, celery and carrots and one pound of dry split green or yellow peas. (I prefer the green peas). For seasonings I'll throw in a couple of bay leaves and salt and pepper to taste. If the ham bone isn't giving enough flavour I'll add a couple of big spoons of chicken soup base seasoning. Of course this soup is like a good stew or chili, made today for tomorrow's dinner. Tastes a whole lot better exclaim

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 25 Mar 07 9:11pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Julie,this sounds like *magic* and exactly what I wanted.
Must hassle and hustle my butcher for a ham bone today.
Can't wait to make that "spoon stands up by itself" soup again.

My sunflower seed rolls are simple. Use your favourite breadroll recipe plus 1/3 cup sunflower seeds. I cook them in a cakepan with removable base.

Your US cousins call it "monkey bread", I believe.

From me in Sydney,Australia to you in Ontario, Canada,

A big thank you,
Maree

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 25 Mar 07 9:50pm

beckybloo

Occupation student
From Italy
Member since Sat 24 Mar 07

Hi Maree! I can only give you my recipe of peas cream...I hope it'll be usable for you!!!
300 gr shelled and boiled peas
2 finely chopped leeks (only the white part)
50 gr of butter
30 gr of flour
9 dl of light chiken or veggies broth
salt
pepper
100 gr of fresh cream

In a saucepan 20 gr of butter, whiter(I don't konw if this is the correct term...sorry!) in it the chopped leeks, add the boiled peas and let it flavour, add the right quantity of salt and pepper. Blend everything and comb.
Separately, prepare a velvety sauce preparing a white roux with 30 gr of butter and 30 gr of combed  flour. Dilute with 3 dl of broth, put a right quantity of salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes till it starts boiling. Add the velvety sauce to the peas soup, dilute with 6 dl of hot broth and cook for other 15 minutes. Before serving add the fresh cream.

Maree, I hope my "culinary english" is correct, and if you find errors (and I think you will), please note down... Thank you and have a good peas cream!!!
Kisses
bck wink

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 26 Mar 07 2:59am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Split Pea and Ham Hock Soup     

4    oz    Bacon diced small
1    cup    Small-diced onions
2    tbl    Minced shallots
1/2    cup    Small-diced carrots
1/2    cup    Small-diced celery
1    tbl    Minced garlic
3    qt    Chicken stock
1    lb    Spilt peas
1    x    Ham hock - (6 ounces)
         Heavy cream
         Salt to taste
         Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
1/4    cup    Cooked split peas

Method :

In a stock pot, render the bacon until crispy, remove the bacon leaving the fat. Saute the onions, shallots, carrots, celery and garlic, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the stock, peas and ham hock. Bring to a fast boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 1 hour or until the peas are tender. Remove the ham hock and dice the meat. Set aside.

Whisk in small amounts of the heavy cream to prevent from breaking and simmer for 2 minutes. With a hand held blender puree the soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Add the diced ham hock and garnish with the whole split peas and fresh black pepper.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 26 Mar 07 4:20am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Here's something a little different - but very traditionally Irish

Fresh Pea Soup

# 350 grams freshly shelled Peas
# 2 tbsp Butter
# 1 Medium-sized onion - chopped
# 1 Head iceberg lettuce - chopped
# 1 Sprig mint - chopped
# 1 Sprig parsley - chopped
# 3 Strips bacon - chopped
# 1½ litres Ham stock
# Salt and pepper
# Sugar
# Chopped parsley

After shelling the peas, save the pods, wash them and put them to boil in the ham stock while preparing the soup. Heat the butter in a large saucepan and soften the onion in it, then add the lettuce, mint and parsley. De-rind and chop the bacon. Fry it for about 2 minutes, turning it from time to time; add to the saucepan with the peas, salt, pepper and a small amount of sugar. Strain the stock and add. Bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer for about half an hour until the peas are quite soft. Sive or liquidize, taste for seasonings and add a little milk or cream if needed (but not too much, for the fresh flavor must be preserved). Garnish with chopped parsley or mint.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 26 Mar 07 6:38am

oregonkimmy

Occupation student nurse
From Melbourne

Thanks Maree for starting this topic.  I too am craving some good ham soup.  *Wondering* Some people suggest using ham bone, others, no ham bone in the recipe.  Do you need a ham bone?  I have 1/4 of a ham in the freezer leftover from christmas.  I ate the other 1/4 of it about a month ago and it was dry and terrible and my husband and I ate it all different ways, it was dreadful, but we didn't make it into soup.

This ham soup is sounding like an answer....

Thanks guys!

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 26 Mar 07 7:05am

gramma julie

From Southwestern Ontario
Member since Fri 16 Jul 04

oregonkimmy - hi there - as long as your ham itself didn't taste terrible, I'd give the soup a go. Try some chicken stock with it and your ham should improve in the process of cooking in the broth.
Another soup with ham stock/ham bone is bean soup. I make it almost the same as the split pea soup and towards the end of cooking add a tin of chopped tomatoes or tomato sauce. I use white beans which I soak overnight before making the soup instead of the split peas and sometimes cheat with tinned white beans or tinned white kidney beans which are a bit bigger. Hope you have them available where you live.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 26 Mar 07 7:14am

oregonkimmy

Occupation student nurse
From Melbourne

Oh that's great gramma julie, I will do! 

No, the ham isn't off or anything, it's just lost it's juicyness and gotten tough.  Still edible enough to not throw it out, much to my bored tastebuds' displeasure roll

I'll make it and tell you how it went.
Kimmy

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 28 Mar 07 1:03pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Thanks everyone!

Likes (0)