Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 29 Mar 07 10:30pm

debstewart123

Member since Thu 29 Mar 07

Ice Cream Makers

Hi, as summer is fast approaching I am looking to get an ice cream maker and would love to hear peoples recommendations or one's to stear clear of - help

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 29 Mar 07 10:50pm

Dougs

Member since Mon 25 Sep 06

Re: Ice Cream Makers

hi Deb, welcome to the forums wave

Never had one so sorry can't comment, sorry.  I will keep my eye n your post though as I may get one if they look good....... whistle

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 30 Mar 07 1:40am

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

Welcome debstewart123!

I have the manual ice cream maker by Donvier, the electric one by Cuisinart, and the Soft Ice Cream Maker also by Cuisinart.  All 3 machines are great as far as function.....no complaints for any of them.  Cuisinart also has an excellent warranty program and have always been a great company to deal with.

Do keep in mind that whatever machine you get....the finished product depends on your ingredients and your preparation of those ingredients.  The machine is simply a device to freeze what you have prepared....be it sorbet, custard ice cream etc.

In the end....I have been happy with my machines and have never had a problem with them!  Good luck!

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 30 Mar 07 2:52am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I have the manual one from Donvier as well.. takes a little longer but it works well. Sometimes I put the whole thing back into the freezer and turn as needed.

Beautiful BC, what's the Cuisinart Soft Ice Cream one like??? Was going to get it at Christmas time but wasn't sure it was worth it... and the outcome... it's around 140.00 right?? Does it make all kinds of ice cream, can you tell us what you have made?? I am thinking gelato... maybe a sorbet?? Thanks! smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 30 Mar 07 8:02pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I received my first icecream maker in 1982. Can't remember the brand but the container and ingredients went into the freezer to churn. It worked very well. So well, I had a "little business" making icecream, gelati and sorbets for the large govt agency I worked for- all profit to charity, of course. I over-worked it.

Bought a large bench top machine with in-built freezer. That worked well until we moved and despite signs on the machine and my watchful look, the removalists didn't keep it upright. It expired. Bought a Cuisenart "freeze container in freezer" add chilled ingredients and turn on. Returned it and demanded money back. Just wouldn't get anything to even a slurry. Everything else in freezer was rock hard. Am thinking of buying another benchtop appliance with inbuilt freezer. They are expensive, take up valuable space and are very heavy but at least they work.

Hope this helps.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#6 Sat 31 Mar 07 12:21am

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

i have a really cheap electric i.c. maker that has a big disc that you freeze for 24hrs then dump it in the bottom of the bowl. the blades churn the i.c. round on the disc and it freezes. i think they all work more or less the same but a more expensive one probably has more functions, like a timer or an alarm.

my point is if you dont want to spend a lot it doesnt matter, mine is as simple as they get and it does a great job. my only complaint is the capacity, i can only make about 1litre at a time which doesnt go far at a dinner party. you might want to bear that in mind if you intend to make lots.

el.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 31 Mar 07 8:01pm

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

bcrain.......re the soft-serve by Cuisinart. 

I was hesitant like you at first, given the price tag.  In the end I went for it as I knew our niece and nephew would have fun when they're over.  Basically, the machine is just like their electric ic maker.  The difference is that before the ic reaches too hard of a consistency you pull down the lever and you can fill ic cones or bowls and make that "pile" of soft ice cream (like the mounds you get at DQ).  And you have 3 condiment bins which you can turn off or on independently (that's nice in that you don't have to have all 3, just 1 flavour if you want) to dispense into the ic at the same time. 

It will make any type of ice cream, sorbet, or gelato.  The unit simply gives you the option serving the ic in a soft state using the lever.  You could scoop out ic from the electric ic maker when it's still soft as well, but it doesn't go into the cones as nicely. 

With the soft serve machine, you only have soft ic when the mixture is just at that point.  If you let it run too long, the ic becomes too thick to come out the down spout.  Leftovers we just put in a container in the freezer like any other.

It's a bit "fluffy" and certainly not a "must have" appliance.  As I said, our niece and nephew thinks it's great.  What kid wouldn't?  wink   My husband and I do enjoy making our own Cappucino Skor Blizzards at home though!  smile

Hope this helps......any other questions let me know.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 01 Apr 07 12:39am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Thanks Beautiful BC!

I guess it's more for the kids. Mine would LOVE it! When we were on holidays the place we were at had a commercial size one and you just helped yourself... that's very dangerous! I think they had some every meal.  lol

Been meaning to make some gelato but have been trying to cut way down on the good things i.e: ice cream/cookies/junk foods, lol! I always see the skor pieces  in the bulk section as I am filling up my bags of prunes/apricots and figs at Save-On Foods,  lol Sounds good though, I like coffee flavor too.

Maybe next Christmas granny can get it for all of us! tongue

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 01 Apr 07 2:13pm

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ
Member since Wed 07 Jul 04

Hello All!
The Paco Jet is also something to consider  wink !

http://www.pacojet.com/

All The Best!
Foie
neutral

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 01 Apr 07 6:05pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Paco Jet looks a pretty expensive machine to me!
I have not discovered the price of a machine but I saw the prices of replacement blades . However it did look pretty good.

Likes (0)