Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 02 Apr 07 8:34am

dawnparker

Member since Mon 02 Apr 07

Genetically Modified Food-documentary "The Future of Food"

I wondered if any one else has seen the superb documentary called "The Future of Food" by Deborah Koons Garcia. If you haven't it is a must see. Basically it's a documentary that investigates the changes being made to our food through genetic engineering and how a few multi national corporations are taking control of  food production and sale, world wide. It also highlights the dangers of this trend of food production- as well as busting the myths put out by the food companies such as genetically engineered food helping to end world poverty.  It is truly shocking. It seems to me this is something that every consumer should know about and be capable of making an informed choice for themselves and their family. I am not a politically active person but this film made me so angry I felt I had to tell other people about it and spread the word- wish this issue could be Jamie's next campaign!! If you want to find out about the film you can go to http://www.thefutureoffood.com. I saw it at a public screening at my boys' school, here in Sydney, so you may find it screened somewhere near you. Would be interested in your thoughts.

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 02 Apr 07 1:08pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Genetically Modified Food-documentary "The Future of Food"

The people who started the whole GM thing made a critical mistake. They didn't tell people about it until they'd already grown things and were fairly well advanced. As much as people are generally happy to have scientists doing their work, when it comes to big issues they want to be informed and feel they have made their concerns known before it gets underway in a serious way. When I was being taught how to communicate science GM food was the "what not to do" example. They have got a massive backlash, I'm not sure how much of it is justified and how much is just a knee-jerk response. Unfortunately it's now hard to get clear unemotional information about it all.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 03 Apr 07 3:27am

dawnparker

Member since Mon 02 Apr 07

maybe, but the difference is that the actual growing of modified food  does not take place in a laboratory but in open fields. The results from this are that the modified seeds are mixing in with normal crops and getting into other seed stock - which makes it even harder to know what you are eating. For example in England (when I lived there) an organic farm was contaminated from a GM test site.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 03 Apr 07 11:00am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

That's kind of the point I'm trying to make. They did not explain the technology and seek public opinion, discussion and approval for doing any tests. This makes people very angry. It is hard to find clear objective discussion of the topic these days. I don't think I've read an article yet that hasn't been against it from the start. That doesn't mean that I am for it, at present I haven't an opinion either way. I am just saying that it is hard to find factual information that is objective - of course, should anyone have any links to objective articles on the subject please post them.

Likes (0)