Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Sat 06 Nov 04 3:58pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Re: Foodology

Hi Mary!

Glad you liked the wild boar/pork pate, the pistachios sound a nice twist **smile**!

Oh the salad with pears + diffenrent "bitter" salad leaves sounds yummy! I love that combo and at the moment you can get the most worderful varieties of fresh pears over here. Last week I got some tiny winy pears (aprox 4-5 cm) with a lovely velvety light brown skin...

Oh and I got some red skinned walnuts from a friend - on the outside they look quite normal, just smaller and very thin outer peel/skin and on the inside, the "papery" inner peel is bright red/violett and very tender. Looks stunning and would go wonderful in the salad.

What would you use for the balsamic-berry vinaigrette?!

All the best
Claudia

ps this weekend a band where a friend of mine is in are having a gig. Don't know how it will turn out as I never listened to them and they are more Jazz-y, but will be fun (I hope).

Likes (0)

#52 Sun 07 Nov 04 9:59am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ
Member since Wed 07 Jul 04

Hi Claudia,
What did you think of the Arroz Con Coco? It's really good. When you have a chance, give it a go and let me know what you think.
It's sounds like you have all the ingredients to make the salad. Those walnuts sound really good. I don't think I have run across a variety like that. The little pears sound good too.!

Balsamic - Berry Vinaigrette

raspberries
strawberries
small amount of blue berries (this gives the vinaigrette depth in colour and flavour)
good balsamic vinegar
light brown sugar
sterling oil to emulsify
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Puree the berries in a food processor and process until smooth. Strain berry puree through a sieve to remove seeds, mainly. Put the berry puree back into the food processor. Add balsamic vinegar, light brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste. With the food processor on, slowly add oil to emulsify. The colour should be a deep red. It's interesting how the blue berries add to the depth of a nice dark pinkish / red hue. Adjust seasoning. The flavour should be sweet with a bit of tartness. It's lovely.

The gig the you are attending sounds like great fun! I do appreciate good jazz music. One of my all time favourites was Miles Davis. Let me know how it goes. Hope everything continues well for you in Vienna. Take care!

Ciao,
Mary

Likes (0)

#53 Sun 07 Nov 04 7:52pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria

hi Mary,

The arrozo con coco sounds great - and for once all ingrediencences are available over here ;-) so I'll try it as soon as possible and keep you posted on the progress ;-)

I think I'll have the salad as a starter for the autumn dinnerparty next week - but only if the weatherforecast isn't snow... then it'll be a soup - for everyone to defrost....

If you like "bitter" salad leave here is a dressing I like (also from the RED cook-book ;-)
1-2 red onion, sliced
salt
lollo rosso (is there an english word???)

Vinaigrette:
-------------
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2-3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 100 -125 ml Creme fraiche
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan
salt and pepper

Mix onion slices with salt and wash salad.

Mix all ingrediences for vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper.

Dry the onions and serve lollo rosso spríncled with onions and vinaigrette.

hope everything is well!

many greetings
Claudia

ps. As about the gig - well it was.... "interesting". For them it was great - sold out; and they sold quite many CDs but it wasn't really my cup of tea. The mixed all kind of stiles Austropop - Rock - Jazz - Gospel and I just thought it was to much mix up and the songs they coverd - sorry interpreted - didn't sound to my liking. But then it's difficult with music... everyone has his/her own liking...

Likes (0)

#54 Mon 08 Nov 04 9:54am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Hi Claudia,
This sounds great. They call lollo rosso, red leaf lettuce here; If I'm not mistaken. Thank you for the recipe. I like the salad and vinaigrette combination. Especially with the creme fraiche. Yum!
Glad to hear it went well for your friends with the gig. Yeah, you're right it did sound like to much of a mix......but, like you say......different strokes for different folks.
We are finally getting some cool weather here. I love that! It's so hot here in Miami. I welcome the change. Just finished a long hard week. It was great though, made loads of awesome dishes. Hope all is smooth in Vienna! Take care.

Ciao,
Mary

big_smile

Likes (0)

#55 Fri 12 Nov 04 7:52am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Hey Red,
Here's a recipe for some goat cheese balls that I make to accompany a wilted spinach salad with crumbled sausage vinaigrette.

Goat Cheese Balls

cylinders of goat cheese
extra virgin olive oil
fresh basil, fine chopped
chives, fine chopped
chervil, fine chopped
Italian parsely, fine chopped
pinenuts, toasted and ground
walnuts, toasted and ground
pistachios, toasted and ground
salt and white pepper

In a large bowl put in the goat cheese. Add some olive oil, enough to make the goat cheese pliable with your hands. Put in the herbs, salt, and white pepper. Mix very well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Proceed to make small individual balls. After making as many as you need, roll the goat cheese balls in the ground pinenuts, ground walnuts, and ground pistachios. With a salad you would want to serve 3 goat cheese balls of each kind. These are so yummy and compliment a salad so well.

Hope you like it!

Ciao,
Mary  big_smile

Likes (0)

#56 Sat 13 Nov 04 9:54am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Hi Claudia,
In the last couple of days we have made some lovely stuff. I made a pumpkin flan and zucchini cake with buttercream frosting that turned out really lovely.
Also a tastey wild rice , corn bread stuffing to accompany scored duck b.r.e.a.s.t cooked medium rare.
Also made whole prime rib roasts, bone in, seasoned with black cracked peppercorns, crushed corinader seeds, kosher salt, and a garlic and shallot crust. Sooooooooo good.
While enjoying making these, thinking about my friends in the forums and just wanted to share.
Hope you are having a great weekend.

Ciao,
Mary big_smile

Likes (0)

#57 Sat 13 Nov 04 11:31am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Hi Mary I was drooling at the thought of being served the rib roasts in that lovely crust!
Would you care to share the recipe?
Also,what side dishes would you serve it with?
Thanks bella...you're the best!  ; )

Likes (0)

#58 Sun 14 Nov 04 2:33pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria

Hi Mary!

Wow that sounds lovely and also thanks for the Cheese balls recipe! Could you post the pumpkin flan recipe - would really enjoy that! (got a thing about pumpkins at the moment ;-)

I had a wonderful weekend so far - we had an autumn dinnerparty yesterday and it was just wonderful!! (still a bit tired and the kitchen is a battle ground...)

We started off with a mediterranian fish soup (fennel, onion, tomatoes, white wine, orange peel, garlic, bay leaf, chili, fish and then pureed to a creamy finish), then swedish moose/elk with a lovely sauce, pumpkin risotto and veg. And Last but not least nut and chocolate creps. Loads of wine, coc.ktails, portwine and nice single malt whiskys ;-)

BTW found a lovely recipe for a salmon trout tatar... Takes a bit longer to prepare but is a smasher as a small starter! If you like the sound of that, just let me know and I'll post it ;-)

How is it going in Miami?

All the best!
Claudia ;-)

Likes (0)

#59 Sun 14 Nov 04 2:38pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Claudia...your meditarranean fish soup sounds smashing!
Care to share the recipe?  big_smile

Likes (0)

#60 Sun 14 Nov 04 9:06pm

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Hi Stefanie,
The prime rib turns out really yummy, full of flavour. Take the whole rib sprinkle generously with kosher salt and just rub it into the meat. Do the same with the black peppercorns and coriander seeds. (I sometimes like to put Montreal Seasoning by McCormick, which also gives the meat a nice flavouring).
In a food procesor puree garlic and shallots. Take this mixture and just rub and pack it on the meat. On top, the sides, every where.....
I slow cook my ribs from 180 - 215 degress F, in the oven, or alto sham for about 3 - 4 hours depending on the size of the prime rib, until rare to medium rare at most.
You can also broil the rib to get a nice crunchy crust and then slow cook. I find that the slow cooking abosorbs all the beautiful flavours you rubbed in during the prepping stage.
You can serve this with sweet potatoes, roasted garlic smashed potatoes, creamed spinach, side of your preference veggies. Au jus can be your sauce (drippings and juices from the rib).
Have fun making it and let me know how it all turned out.

*** Claudia,
I would love the recipes for your soup, elk, and salmon / trout tartare. I'll post the recipes you asked me for soon.
Do you like beef tartare?

Take care!
Ciao,
Mary big_smile

Likes (0)