forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sat 21 Apr 07 6:54am

edithmm

Occupation teacher aide /business partener
From Hawke's Bay NZ
Member since Sat 31 Mar 07

Re: Mashed potaoes

I was given this tip from a cook. Add butter and mash the potatoes.Heat the milk and beat it in with a fork You have light fuffy mashed potatoes
Cheers

Likes (0)

#22 Sat 21 Apr 07 9:10am

Sanneke

Occupation secretary
From Belgium
Member since Sun 13 Aug 06

I always use skimmed milk, olive oil, nut megg and lots of freshly grounded black pepper .

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 21 Apr 07 5:24pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

With so much "foodie info" coming our way, it's difficult to separate "my ideas" from "the media's ideas, in their various formats).

So, putting in an 18-20hr day "at home for the business", shortcuts are important if I am to feed my family.If this is someone else's idea, I apologise.

For making garlic mash, I toss in several peeled cloves with the peeled potato. Continue in the "usual" way for mash. Have also added kumera (peeled and cubed) with the cubed potato added for the boiling.

Regardless, tastes "yum".

Good to see you again Dave27!

Maree

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#24 Sat 21 Apr 07 5:35pm

Maree

Forum super champ

I'd go with the cream, "real" milk, salt and pepper with hand-snipped chives, hand-"churned" with some for a decoration (snipped from high) for decoration and taste.

Likes (0)

#25 Sat 21 Apr 07 5:39pm

Maree

Forum super champ

PS: I use a potato ricer (and my son's stronger wrists) to make this come together!

Likes (0)

#26 Sun 22 Apr 07 11:31pm

gimpy2

Member since Sun 22 Apr 07

Hi All,
Read all your ideas, some sound interesting. Yukk on the powdered milk, though.
Agree with Maree-in-Sydney, a ricer makes a HUGE difference in the texture of the mash. Beater rubberizes the taters.
Also, using Idaho potatoes helps a lot. They are drier and flakier. Learned how to do it easier.. took a while to hone the recipe but here it is.
1. Nuke the potatoes with the skins on.
2. Peel as soon as you can without burning your fingers. Put the butter in to the bowl under the ricer. Rice the potatoes on top.. will melt the butter. 3. Add canned chicken broth, then cream, salt (lots of that) and yes, WHITE pepper. Keep adding liquids till it is about the texture of thick icing.
4. Lastly stir in a good whap of grated Parmesan Reggiano. This will thicken the mix a tad.
Depending on my mood and social engagements, a little garlic flavored olive oil, or mashed baked garlic doesn't hurt a bit. nor a shot of onion powder.
I really like the idea of adding a bit of Pesto.. will try that next time I do a batch.
Gimpy2

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 23 Apr 07 2:18am

Nalini

From Trinidad
Member since Mon 16 Apr 07

can anyone tell me how would sour cream affect mashed potatoes??

Likes (0)

#28 Mon 23 Apr 07 7:13pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Well Nalini, I do like to add creme fraiche in mine once in a while (which is similar to sour cream) but I wouldnt put too much of it otherwise the taste does change considerably from the initial stuff.

Maree, what's kumera?!  oops  whistle

French_vanilla

Likes (0)

#29 Mon 23 Apr 07 7:46pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Use sour cream all the time in my mash. Also boil up several cloves of garlic with the peeled potato and use the ricer to mash the lot.

French,bonjour, kumera is the "orange coloured" sweet potato.

Maree

Likes (0)

#30 Mon 23 Apr 07 9:16pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Oh right... Thanks Maree.  big_smile

French_vanilla