forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 19 Apr 07 12:37am

FaithErin

From Colorado
Member since Wed 18 Apr 07

Fancy recipes for camping?

Does anyone have a great recipe for food to cook over campfire or camp stove? I'm going on a climbing trip with some friends and would like to cook for everyone one night. Thanks!  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 19 Apr 07 5:51am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Fancy recipes for camping?

Depends what you can take with you!

If you can take fresh food, then anything you could cook on the stove top can be cooked on the campfire - go for"one pot" meals for ease and convenience.

How about a barbeque? You don't need any special equipment. As its a campfire, you must have access to wood- use green or wet sticks to support the meat, either on skewers or by fixing larger pieces of meat on a framework of split sticks - grill when the fire has burnt to a good bed of embers - and try to use gardwood for the fire (

You don't need much in the way of equipment, so long as you can improvise. You can do many dishes with just a sharp knife, and almost anything is you add some aluminium foil and a few wire coathangers:-)

Lots of good ideas here:-

http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/ … ooking.htm

http://www.mikebentley.com/camping/cooking.htm

http://eartheasy.com/play_campfire_cooking.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_on_a_campfire

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 19 Apr 07 7:43pm

FaithErin

From Colorado

Thanks! I love the BBQ idea!  big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 20 Apr 07 9:10am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Mandarin Chicken 

Ingredients:
4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
1 Lg Onion
1 Lg Tomato
2 or 3 Mandarin Oranges
Your Favorite Chicken Seasoning
1 Sml Bottle Italian Dressing
4 Zip Lock Bags
Aluminium Foil

How to Prepare:
Butterfly Chicken or place between two pieces of foil and pound thin to speed cooking. Place thin slice of Onion, slice of Tomato and four or five sections of mandarin orange in Zip Lock with Chicken. Pour in some Italian Dressing and squeeze some juice from remaining Orange. Let marinate as long as two days in cooler. Place contents of zip lock into double thick foil packets. Sprinkle with Seasoning and Seal. Cook on coals or on grill for approx. 10 minutes then turn for an additional 5. 

Fish Stew 

Ingredients:
1 lg pot of raw potatoes,cut in 1/4's
1 handful of peppercorns
sprinkle salt
pike, cut in chunks
1 lg tin of carnation milk

How to Prepare:
Boil potatoes 10 min.with the peppercorns & salt. Place pike pieces on top of potatoes.Cover & simmer 15 min. till done. Add the carnation, heat gently.
DON'T BOIL
Serve with rye bread.

Choco Raspberry Burritos 

Ingredients:
4 8-9" flour tortillas
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup fresh raspberries
2 Tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

How to Prepare:

At home, mix sugar and cinnamon and store in a zip-lock baggie. Don't forget to bring it with you camping.

At the campsite, stack the tortillas and wrap in a piece of foil; grill over indirect (med-low) heat, turning once, for about 5 minutes until they are warm and pliable.

Sprinkle 1/4 cup each of the chocolate chips and raspberries in the center of each tortilla; fold in the sides and roll up (like a typical burrito). Brush rolls with half of the melted butter. Grill burritos over indirect (med-low)heat, turning once, for about 3 minutes, until they start to show grill marks and the chocolate chips are melted.

Remove from heat and brush with remaining butter. Sprinkle with stored sugar and cinnamon mixture. Serve warm.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 20 Apr 07 11:50am

huxter09

Occupation Semi-retired antique dealer/now farmer and cheese maker
From Northern Victoria,Australia
Member since Thu 12 Apr 07

My wife and I camp a lot with a big group of friends and have just returned from a week-long Easter camping trip.I find over the years we've trimmed down our cooking hardware to a non-stick frypan,a BBQ grill and a cast iron dutch oven or camp oven

And our Easter favourite is a variation on a Jambalaya cooked in a cast iron camp oven.If you can keep some chicken and seafood chilled its a one pot sensation.

I fry off some capsicum ,onion,celery with cummin,paprika ,garlic  ,thyme and cayenne.Then add some chicken pieces and and a dried sausage such as a chorizo, sliced. When browned I add some tomato paste,1.5 cups rice and stock or beer to cover.When the rice is cooked to just soft ,slide in some fish and fresh green prawns.Won't take long ,about 5-7 mins.

Best eaten under the Aussie stars next to the Murray River with a chilled Sauvignon Blanc and cold beer

Finish with a fabulous cheese platter and good dried friuts---can't get any better!!!

Huxter

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 21 Apr 07 12:10am

FaithErin

From Colorado

Excellent! I'll let you know how it goes.  smile

Likes (0)