forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 19 Apr 07 5:12pm

Bow1508

Member since Thu 19 Apr 07

Alternatives to sandwiches

Can anyone give me any healthy alternatives to wholemeal sandwiches please? My daughter is complining that her friends are eating sausage rolls but we're not happy with the idea and she currently eats wholemeal bread but is "bored"! Any help please? Also I have a very very fussy eater in my son any tips on how to get him to eat anything let alone something healthy? Many Thanks  help

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 19 Apr 07 5:38pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Alternatives to sandwiches

Try this thread - it's got some really good ideas  smile

http://forum.jamieoliver.com/viewtopic. … 40#p199040

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 19 Apr 07 7:52pm

Bow1508

Thanks have popped over and got loads of ideas for one of them.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 19 Apr 07 10:27pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

Sorry I can't be of much help for your son  sad   My only suggestion would be to make your own versions of foods that you know will be eaten - but I expect that you already do that .....

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 20 Apr 07 5:48am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Wholemeal sausage roll sandwich smile

1 good organic sausage
tsp mustard or sauce
1 slice wholemeal bread.

Grill sausage, drain on kitchen paper. spread sauce or mustard on bread. Roll bread around sausage.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 20 Apr 07 2:48pm

Bow1508

As simple as that one sounds it may just be the answer! Many thanks. It stops the worry of fat and nasty sausage meat that you get in shop made sausage rolls! Olivia I have tried that but gave up when he point blank refused to try them! HOWEVER! after reading off a ton of ideas from this site and telling ALL the family we are ALL going to try some new things are to get a better diet routine going he actually agreed to try! wonders will never cease. So fingers crossed I have printed off loads of your ideas and dug out my cook books. Am also going to try one of jamie's once i decided which one and go from there.  thumbsup Wish me luck! big_smile

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 20 Apr 07 3:10pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

Best of luck - all fingers crossed for success!  I don't know if this is a help to you, but we have 2 family rules: 

1.  If you take it, you eat/drink it (if it's given, you must try it, but don't have to eat it, but there's nothing else).

2.  You can't say you don't like something until you've tried it!

Oh, and the word "yuck" is banned  lol

I have found that, simply by getting the children to try everything several times, they have developed quite a wide palate.  Also knowing that one mouthful is all it takes of a new food (and always provide something "normal" alongside it  wink ) seems to make them more open to trying.  I once read that a child needs to try something about 10 times before they make up their minds ...

The best of luck getting your son to eat better, and keep us updated  big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 21 Apr 07 12:31am

FaithErin

From Colorado
Member since Wed 18 Apr 07

I don't have kids but was one once. My dad made my lunch everyday. I loved cream cheese and jam sandwiches either on bread or rolled up in a tortilla. Also a good dessert. A thin layer is all you need. It's very good!

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 21 Apr 07 12:34am

FaithErin

From Colorado
Member since Wed 18 Apr 07

Trick for fussy eaters: Let him say "no" to certain foods that he hates. It will give him some control which may help the fussy part. Let him have a list of 3 or 4 foods of his choosing that he never has to eat. He can change the list as he finds new things that he hates to eat. Evaluating foods as tasty and not tasty is a good learning process.  I know it's hard: I boycotted the color green for years!

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 21 Apr 07 6:39am

edithmm

Occupation teacher aide /business partener
From Hawke's Bay NZ
Member since Sat 31 Mar 07

As a teacher assistant I know just you mean. We have pot luck lunches in our class room and I have put a plate of fresh cut fruit out and its one first plates to go.They are look round for more.
You could try cutting up the fruit and lightly add some lemon juice to stop it going brown. Add a dip to go with it. Same with vegetables. A cold bottle of drink in the lunch will keep it cool.
What about wraps. Put suitable food out and let them make their own wraps.
Good luck big_smile

Likes (0)