Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 23 Apr 07 12:59pm

jaypea

Member since Mon 23 Apr 07

alternatives to tomato sauce for pasta

hi need alternative for tomatos to use in lasagne, bolognese, pizza etc must be dairy free.

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 23 Apr 07 3:51pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

Re: alternatives to tomato sauce for pasta

not sure about the bolognese but how about a spinach sauce in the lasagne, or roasted, pureed aubergine. as for other kinds of pasta just toss in a good extra v. oil, try heating the oil with some thin slices of garlic and a pinch of paprika before adding to the pasta.

for pizzas make a fresh pesto with olive oil, pinenuts and basil and spread on the base before baking. try this with other herbs blended in oil aswell, or spinach, (again) just stir-fry some baby spinach in olive oil, garlic and black pepper then spread on the base.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 23 Apr 07 4:27pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Or you could try roasting some peppers (red, yellow or orange), and pureeing them with a little olive oil and roasted garlic, and tossing the pasta in them! 

The other night I made a pasta topping with sauteed onions, mushrooms, turkey strips and peas tossed in pureed roast peppers - it was really good.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 23 Apr 07 7:05pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Hi Jaypea,

I sometimes use a base of roasted red onions, roasted garlic and aubergines that I spread on top of a pie/pizza dough....
Once cooked, I put either feta cheese or philadelphia (cream cheese) on top and let it melt a bit before serving (sometimes I put it under the grill - especially if I'm using feta)... But forget about it if you're doing a dairy free option of this dish of course... you could instead drizzle some basil infused olive oil ?!

French_vanilla  tongue

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 24 Apr 07 3:49am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Vermicelli with Hot Garlic Sauce     

Ingredients :

1    tbl    olive oil
4    x    garlic cloves minced
1/2    cup    minced onion
1/2    x    red bell pepper thinly sliced
1/2    x    yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
3    tsp    crushed red pepper
1    cup    dry white wine
         Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
1    dsh    salt (optional)
250 grams hot cooked vermicelli
1/4    cup    Parmesan cheese
1/4    cup    minced Italian parsley

Method :

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add the peppers and saute for 5 minutes.
     Add the crushed red pepper and wine and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. Season with pepper and salt and toss with the hot vermicelli Garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 24 Apr 07 8:47am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Lasagna
Lasagna Noodles
10 oz. Broccoli, chopped
14 oz. can (or 2, 7 oz. jars) of marinated Artichoke Hearts, drained and chopped
1 pound Ground Chicken
1 small Red Onion, chopped
1-2 cloves Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil, divided
1 can (14.5 oz) Chicken Broth, low-sodium
Dried Garlic Seasoning

Preheat Oven to 375°.  Cook Lasagna noodles as directed.  Defrost Broccoli in Microwave, draining water when finished.  While lasagna noodles are cooking and broccoli is defrosting, cook chicken in pan until brown add garlic and cook about 1 more minute and set aside.  Gently stir broccoli, artichoke hearts, and onion in bowl.

Spray bottom of 9 x 13 casserole pan with cooking spray.  Place one layer of noodles in pan enough to cover bottom of pan.  Place half of vegetable mix on top of noodles and spread over noodles, then top with half of ground chicken and garlic.  Gently drizzle 1 Tbsp of olive oil over meat and veggies.  Place another layer of lasagna noodles on top and repeat.  Top with lasagna noodles.  Pour broth over lasagna.  Top noodles with dried garlic seasoning.

Place in oven and cook for 50-55 minutes.  Cool for 10 minutes and serve.

Likes (0)