forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 26 Apr 07 2:57am

Loretta

From Sydney, Australia
Member since Thu 27 Jul 06

Rotten Potato Smell - Help!

I'm not sure if anyone can help me, but I'll ask anyway.

I went away for a week and on arrival back home there was a very bad smell in my kitchen.  I realised I had forgotten to throw out some potatoes before leaving to go away, and now the stench is terrible.  I have cleaned the cupboard out, and used disinfectant, vanilla, and now i have sprinkled lots of baking soda around, but it seems that the smell isn't in a hurry to go away.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks I can try to make things smell a bit nicer?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Cheers
Loretta

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 26 Apr 07 6:02am

WaiferThinMint

Occupation Student, Chef on the side
From Philadelphia, PA, USA
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Rotten Potato Smell - Help!

This is not the best fix, but if you make a curry it will bury the smell from the bad spuds.  Roasting your own coffee will do the trick too.  However, this won't freshen the air, but merely will cover one smell with another...

Beyond that you could up the airflow into the cabinet so that the smell will clear more quickly...

Hope thats some help....

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 26 Apr 07 6:38am

Loretta

From Sydney, Australia

Thanks Waifer!
I have chosen a slightly different approach already, I've got a pot simmering on the stove with water, cinnamon quills, cloves and lemon peel, which has filled the house with a lovely smell, so far covering the other icky stench.  And I think a curry will be on the menu for dinner tonight!! smile

I had the cupboard doors open but my cat keeps climbing in and so I've closed them for now until he settles down again.  I hope the smell goes, as I'm moving soon and I don't want my landlord to charge me to replace the cupboards! hmm

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 26 Apr 07 10:32am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Hi Loretta

Try placing a bowl of bicarbonate of soda mixed with a few drops of essential oil (you choose which smell you like best  wink ) in the cupboard for a day or too.  The bicarb should soak up the smell, and the essential oils should freshen everything up.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 26 Apr 07 7:08pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

I was also going to suggest to make a curry... ok, it will smell like curry in your place for 3 days but things might get better after that...  thumbsup

French_vanilla

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 27 Apr 07 2:32pm

Loretta

From Sydney, Australia

Thanks for your idea, Olivia.  This morning I put a bowl of bicarb soda with some lavender essential oil sprinkled over.  The lavender is quite strong so it has quite a presence in the cupboard now, but the soda hasn't soaked anything up yet.  It's just a rotten potato smell mingled with lavender now.  But I'm going to try to leave it another day or so, and see if there's any improvement.  It's still making me gag every time I smell it, so there's a long way to go!

Keep your fingers crossed!

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 27 Apr 07 4:29pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

If it's really awful, you could try washing it out with a bicarb and water solution, and make sure that you still put a bowl in and change it regularly (i.e. every day).  Sometimes these smells take ages to get rid of, and can be quite ghastly.  Bicarbonate of soda is often one of the active ingredients in commercial air fresheners - but it's usually just as effective used on it's own or with essential oils to remove smells.  I left a cabbage in my larder once for about 3 weeks whilst we were away, and the stench was ghastly when we got back.  It took some time, but in the end the larder smelled fresh again (by that, I mean it took about 10 days!).  Good luck, and hope the smell goes soon, by whatever method you can manage  thumbsup   My fingers are firmly crossed  big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 28 Apr 07 3:52am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Hi Loretta,

How about placing a cut lemon on a plate in the cupboard to absorb the odours.

Shammy smile

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 28 Apr 07 11:46am

sallyf

Member since Sat 07 Oct 06

Ive heard that white vinegar is great for getting rid of odours...... I would use 1/3 vinegar to water and use a spray bottle, spray and wipe around cupboard.   Probably won't smell fab to start with but might help.   good luck.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 28 Apr 07 11:50am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

you could always burn some toast!! that smell seems to take over everything. lol

Likes (0)