forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sun 29 Apr 07 6:05pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Using onliy English in posts..

Not that I'm aware. It just seemed that some posters took exception to the Greek people posting in their own language. As Diamond said (too late to be bothered finding the quote, sorry) they only post in Greek when sharing personal news. They post in English when necessary or to their friends.

Email addy's being banned from this site, I can understand that. Can also understand why email addy's are banned, though they are not at several US forums where I am a member.

Don't know what the solution is. I couldn't post to Diamond or Jenny etc if I had to post in Greek. And somethings are not suitable for the forums (if we post in English). Without each other's emails, we can't converse in any language. The "Greeks" have gotten around it by posting in their language. When they wish to converse publically, they do so in English.

Don't know (apart from making email addresses optional) how to get around this.

Maree.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#12 Mon 30 Apr 07 12:06am

gregandjanine

Occupation Teacher/Registered Nurse
From Brisbane Australia
Member since Fri 14 Apr 06

giggle....

I just like looking at the letters.....
they are so different to the English Language....
and Japanese,  all the different Chinese languages,  all the Asian countries, ohh there are too many to list. Have you ever looked at the symbols... I don't know what other word to use, and tried to figure out some sort of pattern to the use of them....

Being bilingual, sets people up to do so much better in life, and it's something to do with right brain/left brain stuff..   Being able to play music is the same.

Pity I can't speak another language or play an instrument  sad
(not that I'm unable of course!!!!)

Janine

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 30 Apr 07 12:11am

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

i don't have a problem with that, if i dont understand something i'll move on to something i do.

i was also wondering what brought this on, and if it was gonna get REALLY silly.

well, i was hoping i suppose...

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 30 Apr 07 1:42am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

We should all learn Greek!
I don’t understand why we are forced to learn French at school; Greek is a much better language.
The Greeks have philosophy, so there is a reason to learn it. All the French have is that great big pointy thing in the middle of Paris.

No offence to any French people here, just their language and that great big pointy thing.
I’m not going to get banned for writing that? Cause if I am I can write it in Greek so as not to offend anyone?

I think that’s what I should do:
Πρέπει όλοι να μάθουμε τα ελληνικά!

Δεν καταλαβαίνω γιατί αναγκαζόμαστε να μάθουμε τα γαλλικά στο σχολείο Τα ελληνικά είναι μια πολύ καλύτερη γλώσσα.

Οι Έλληνες έχουν τη φιλοσοφία, έτσι υπάρχει ένας λόγος να μαθευτεί. Όλος ο Γάλλος έχει είναι εκείνο το μεγάλο μεγάλο pointy πράγμα στη μέση του Παρισιού.

Καμία παράβαση σε οποιουσδήποτε γαλλικούς ανθρώπους εδώ, ακριβώς η γλώσσα τους και εκείνο το μεγάλο μεγάλο pointy πράγμα. Εγώ δεν πρόκειται να πάρει απαγορευμένος για το γράψιμο αυτού; Προκαλέστε εάν είμαι εγώ μπορώ να το γράψω στα ελληνικά ώστε να μη προσβληθεί καθένας; Σκέφτομαι ότι τι πρέπει να κάνω:

Should all we learn Greek! I do not understand why we were forced to learn French in the school Greek they are a much better language. The Greeks have the philosophy, thus exists a reason maceytej'. All the French has is that big big pointy thing in the middle of Paris. No infringement in any French persons here, precisely their language and that big big pointy thing. Isn't I to take prohibited for the writing of this? Cause if I am i I can him write in the Greek so that isn't offended each one? I think that what it should I make:

Πρέπει όλος εμείς να μάθετε τα ελληνικά! Δεν καταλαβαίνω γιατί αναγκαστήκαμε να μάθουμε τα γαλλικά στο σχολείο ελληνικά που είναι μια πολύ καλύτερη γλώσσα. Οι Έλληνες έχουν τη φιλοσοφία, κατά συνέπεια υπάρχει ένας λόγος maceytej ". Όλος ο Γάλλος έχει είναι εκείνο το μεγάλο μεγάλο pointy πράγμα στη μέση του Παρισιού. Καμία παράβαση σε οποιαδήποτε γαλλικά πρόσωπα εδώ, ακριβώς η γλώσσα τους και εκείνο το μεγάλο μεγάλο pointy πράγμα. Η λήψη ι δεν απαγορεύεται για το γράψιμο αυτού; Προκαλέστε εάν είμαι ι που μπορώ αυτός να γράψω στα ελληνικά έτσι ώστε δεν είναι καθέναν; Σκέφτομαι ότι τι πρέπει εγώ να κάνει:

Should all we you learn Greek! I do not understand why we were forced to learn the French in the school Greek that is a much better language. The Greeks have the philosophy, accordingly exist a reason maceytej ". All the French has is that big big pointy thing in the middle of Paris. No infringement in any French persons here, precisely their language and that big big pointy thing. Isn't reception I prohibited for the writing of this? Cause if I am I that I can this write in the Greek so it isn't each one? I think that what should i make:

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 30 Apr 07 2:33am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Each to their own,

I've been here a long time and it does not bother me if I cannot understand  some of the posts.

We all have a right to post, whatever nationality... the policing of what is said is up to the moderators.

Shammy smile

Last edited by shammrok (Mon 30 Apr 07 2:35am)

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 30 Apr 07 5:59am

michelle26

From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 27 Sep 05

Maree, are you unhappy with people posting replies in another language question   I don't quite understand why your topic was started   hmm

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 30 Apr 07 9:04am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Well, it's all greek to me.

Likes (0)

#18 Mon 30 Apr 07 9:07am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

You can request Bob or one of the admin to send your email addy to another forumite if that is an issue.

You can also become a member of Noras site which has the option to contact people by email if you so wish.

Either way, it does not matter to me what language somebody posts in as long as when necessary they also translate.

Likes (0)

#19 Mon 30 Apr 07 12:30pm

DIAMOND

From PATRA-GREECE
Member since Sun 01 Oct 06

MY DEAR FRIENDS,
IF YOU ARE SAYING GOODMORNING TO ME AND I AM NOT SAYING THE SAME TO YOU THEN YOU CAN ACCUSE ME FOR THAT.I WILL UNDERSTAND.IF YOU ARE WISH ME MERY CHRISTMAS AND I AM NOT WISHING YOU BACK THEN YOU CAN ACCUSE ME.IF YOU ARE SAYING TO ME''TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF''AND I AM NOT SAYING THIS TO YOY TOO THEN YOU CAN ACCUSE ME AND ''ATACK'' ME,AND CRITISIZE ME AND AVOID ME.BUT IF YOU ACCUSE ME FOR SPEAKING MY LANGUAGE TO PEOPLE FROM THE SAME COUNTRY WITH ME I CAN NOT UNDERSAND IT.
I RESPECT THOUGH YOUR OPINION.IT MATTERS TO ME.
TAKE CARE.

Likes (0)

#20 Mon 30 Apr 07 2:10pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Hi Diamond!
I think we have all agreed that it is absolutely OK for everyone else if everyone else is speaking whichever language (s)he is comfortable with.
Which is why I and some others absolutely don't understand the point of the original post. Everything is fine (if you want to use Greek or any other language), was find, will always be fine......
I myself have occasionally used German in posts to other speakers of German to clarify or to help with them with English or to welcome them etc.

Sadie is right, if e-mail addresses are the point there are options.

If not, please feel free to continue as you have done so far, as you seem to be bothering absolutely noone. This thread is pointless in that it has raised a question that never was a question and (I am sure UNintentionally) might make people feel uncomfortable about posting here.

Please Diamond (and everyone else) don't feel attacked! It seems that it was not Maree's intention, and nobody else's either!

Likes (0)