Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 04 May 07 9:07pm

Cancerchick

From London
Member since Fri 04 May 07

Nourishing Recipes whilst under going Chemotherapy

Does anyone have any suggestions for quick nutrishous recipes to make for the entire family that would also suit a cancer diet??

I'm 36 and have a 3 1/2 year old and an 8 month old - was diaginosed with stage 4 Non-Hodgkins Follicular Lymphoma 6 weeks ago and am struggling with keeping not only my nutritional needs met but most importantly my two small children. I have always loved the 'Jamies Quickies' recipies as has my 3yr old and was wondering if anyone had tips on quick tastie super foods??

Also have had the fantisitic support of friends bringing food for the family but am a little bit tired of sheppards pie... any suggestions for reciepes that I could hint for friends to make??

Thanks!

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 05 May 07 1:12am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Re: Nourishing Recipes whilst under going Chemotherapy

I had chemo for breast cancer late last year and found it hard to eat most things - let alone cook.

Avoid too much meat as it will taste horrible - chemo changes your sense of taste and it will affect your sense of taste.

Keep things really basic, I found steamed veg (I have a veg steamer) one of the few things I could handle. Also fish was very good too. Especially on the day I had chemo as I could not eat much else. My partner would just buy fish and chips and I would eat the fish with some home made tartare sauce and a few chips.

Tartare sauce
A couple tablespoons thomy mayonnaise
some capers and cornichons chopped
a squeeze lemon juice and a couple pinches sugar

Pasta bakes are very quick and easy try this -

Bechamel(white) sauce made with 300ml milk
200ml Tomato passata sauce
500g chicken thigh fillets
1 packet pasta that the kids like (spirals, tubes etc)

Heat the oven to 180C
Cut up the chicken into chunks, toss in a bit of olive oi, place in the bottom of a large baking dish and put in the oven for 10 minutes or until tender/ just browned.

Meanwhile cook the pasta until al dente, drain well and put aside.
Combine the Passata and the bechamel sauce and season to taste.
Remove the chicken from the oven, mix in with the sauce. Then add the cooked pasta and stir through to coat evenly.

Sprinkle some grated cheddar and parmesan cheese over the top, put back in the oven and bake 30 mins.

serve with a tossed salad.

Try having fruit smoothies in the morning - especially banana as they are a high source of potassium which you will be needing.
This is my basic smoothie

1 banana
a spoon of biodynamic yoghurt
milk
vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon sugar
some ice cubes

place all in a blender and whizz until smooth.

I also kept packets of frozen berries in the freezer and used these too and whatever fresh fruit I could.

other combinations for smoothies (using the basic milk and yoghurt base)

Orange and banana - 1 small orange and 1 small banana

Honeydew melon (not rockor cantalope) and a few sprigs mint.

Get your friends to make things like minestrone and other soups that can be frozen and taken out and reheated. Jaime has heaps of minestrone recipes.

Depending on the chemo they give you, one thing to look out for is indigestion/acid reflux. One of the steroid medications, predniselone, has this effect. It is supposed to give you a feeling of well being. I still threw up non stop for three days after chemo so it didn't make any difference for me.

I will think of more and add them when I can.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 05 May 07 8:43am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

I also found that drinking coca cola was essential when I had chemo as it was one of the few things that I could tolerate that didn't come straight back up again.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 05 May 07 11:46am

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

I have not had chemo but I was extremely ill for over a year and I really did not want to eat or drink anything. I could of easily not eaten at all.  Lemonade and iced water or lemon barley cordial were tolerable.
Like sadie said, keep it simple or you could say bland? Anything spicy or heavy didnt stay down.
What sort of fruits and veges do you like? Just to get an idea of what sort of ideas your after.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 05 May 07 4:21pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Cancerchick,  Wishing you all the best on your recovery!!

Sadie,  The doctor always had me give flat coca-cole to my daughter when she was little to soothe her stomach.  She said there was something in the cola that did this.  Thanks for reminding me.

Hi Amber!! wave

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 05 May 07 9:13pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Here in Germany coca cola (at room temperature) is a typical home cure for diarrhea. The sugar and liquid are good for refueling, the caffein helps you to feel less tired and exhausted. (DON'T use diet coke instead!!)

Cancerchick, I really have no idea what might be a good recipe to recommend, but I thought I'd wish you all the best for your recovery, too!! I hope you get better soon!
wink

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 06 May 07 8:49am

tdubya

Occupation Project Manager
From Birmingham, UK
Member since Fri 27 Oct 06

Cancerchick, I wish you well in your recovery and my thoughts are with your children too who must be a pillar of strength for you.

Picking up on the Coca Cola theme, when I was recovering after a minor operation, which lasted 4 hours. I felt terrible when I came round and the nurse brought me a cup of tea with sugar and it worked fantastically. Maybe there's something in the cup of tea as with the Coca Cola too ?

Terry

Last edited by tdubya (Sun 06 May 07 8:49am)

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 11 May 07 10:49pm

linaferro

Occupation Translator
From Brazil
Member since Sat 21 Apr 07

Hi, Cancerchic,
First of all, my heart goes out for you and your family!
About ten years ago, I translated into Portuguese a series of a very interesting materials for cancer patients, among which a booklet called "Eating Hints for Cancer Patients - Before, During and After Treament", which might interest you. Please take a look at this link: http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/eatinghints
Hope to have helped you!
smile

Likes (0)