forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Wed 16 May 07 7:46pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: How do you make McDonald's-type fries?

I remember walking past a very famous health food store one night and seeing mice scurrying around the aisles.  I've also sat in more than one eatry where cock roaches ran up the wall. 
But then anyone who's ever worked in a restaurant can attest to some of the questionable things he or she has seen.  But I guess that's a whole other thread for maybe the "leftovers" dept.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#52 Wed 16 May 07 8:59pm

Femurs

Member since Sun 07 Jan 07

Hi Omni - blanch them in boiling water until soft but don't add any salt to the water.  Then fry them off in oil, slowly.  Hopefully this will work.

Likes (0)

#53 Fri 18 May 07 2:09am

dtilka

Member since Thu 26 Apr 07

It should be as simple as using a slightly cooler oil. If your oil is very hot the food does not have the chance to soak up any oil. Hence, the reason why they are so crispy. By cooking them at a lower temperature for longer they should absorb a little bit more oil helping to keep them less crisp. Also, if you try to pat them dry or drip oil from your fries after cooking they will also become more crisp so toss in salt straight away (my personal preference is chicken salt) and serve immediately this will give the fries minimum time to crisp up.

Hope this works for you
smile   
Dezza

Likes (0)

#54 Fri 18 May 07 6:11am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

This is a very different way to make hot chips (yep it is a fish and chip recipe). I was very shocked when I first saw it and now it is the way I make my chips (although the second frying I do in my little deep fryer).

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1657536.htm

They are the best tasting chips I have ever had in my life.

Last edited by sadie-hoshi (Fri 18 May 07 12:43pm)

Likes (0)

#55 Fri 18 May 07 11:07am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

On this topic, my OH was a computer techie & his company got a big contract with a major pizza chain.

He wont eat their stuff now as all the computers from their stores were riddled with those tiny brown cockroaches puke  puke  puke

Likes (0)

#56 Fri 18 May 07 12:17pm

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

frizz, dont mean to be rude but would you be able to ask your OH a computer question for me? Im just talking to a friend on msn who is having problems with outlook and Ive just read this thread lol

Likes (0)

#57 Sat 19 May 07 3:04am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

No worries Amber... he should be back soon.... he is out with the boys riding trail bikes right now.

Sadie, I just had a minute to have a look at your link... thats how our local F&C place did it before they became the only one here, now they are too busy to do their own chips so they buy in frozen ones... but I think thats what they do to the frozen ones anyway.

Yep double frying & making sure they get completely cold in between is the way to go. Also how we did wedges at several places I worked.

Likes (0)

#58 Sat 19 May 07 4:15am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Dunno why your OH was worried about the cockroaches frizz1974 - after all, his company was contracted to debug the computers smile

Likes (0)

#59 Sat 19 May 07 8:37am

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

lol  lol

Likes (0)

#60 Sat 19 May 07 10:32pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

lol

Likes (0)