Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 09 May 07 2:56pm

Jitka

Member since Wed 09 May 07

Tough steak - why?

I wonder why my attempts to make a lovely juicy beef steak or pork chop fail repeatedly. I always end up with a tough, hard bit of meat. Can anyone help me with a tip? Many thanks.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 09 May 07 3:31pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: Tough steak - why?

It all depends on the quality and cut of the meat, and most likely you are overcooking it.  Want to give us some more details about what meat you use, and how you cook it?

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 09 May 07 5:35pm

mutiny

From Melbourne
Member since Mon 30 Apr 07

you're probably cooking it too long at too high a temperature. If you're going to cook meat for a long time, generally it has to be at a low temp to prevent it turning into the texture of a tire. Also, make sure you rest your meat for a good 5 mins (at least) to let the fibers and juice relax to produce beautifully tender, juicy meat.

I would still be interested on some more details on exactly how you're cooking it so as to come to a better conclusion on how to fix it big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 09 May 07 7:34pm

The Cuban Chef

Occupation peace and duck grease
From united states
Member since Mon 10 Jul 06

HAVE TO GET BETTER CUTS........ AND THE ONLY WAY TO EAT MEAT IS MID RARE....
IT HAS BEEN SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN FOR MAX FLAVOR

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 10 May 07 2:41am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Cooking temp and length of cooking time are probably the culprit here.... The cut of meat doesn't necessarily have to be the reason.. You just have to match the right cooking method to  cut of meat. A braising cut needs slow wet cook to make it tender.

My advice would be to talk to your  butcher and ask for a steak that is good for grilling.  If your not very experienced with cooking meat properly a Digital instant read thermometer will be your best friend .  Once it hits the internal temp you want for desired doneness. pull it off the grill , loosely tent it with foil and let rest for a few mins.. 3-5.  prefect steak everytime no voodoo or finger poking  lol

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#6 Thu 10 May 07 5:37am

hybridarts

From Australia
Member since Mon 07 May 07

And don't forget one of the most important rules: turn only once.  Every time you turn the meat, the penetration of heat will re-cook the side you are grilling starting once again from the outside and working it's way to the middle.  This will also lead to a dry steak.  I don't really cook pork that often so i'm not sure if the same rules apply to your pork chop but i'm sure someone else will be able to tell you. thumbsup

ADAP

Last edited by hybridarts (Thu 10 May 07 6:12am)

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 10 May 07 6:40am

holycow77

Member since Tue 13 Feb 07

Jamie has a vodcast where he cooks a nice, juicy rump on the media section of this website... he turns it twice...

personally, I reckon you're cooking it too long - like my Mum does!

I think it's best to get a nice piece of steak that's not too thick. About 1cm should do ya right. Get a cast iron griddle and let it sit on a high heat for about 5 minutes until it's real hot.

You don't need any oil, just chuck the steak on for about 2 minutes on each side and then take it off and let it sit for a few minutes. (this should make it about medium)

A good way to check if it's done is by comparing the hardness of the meat to that chunky bit of muscle where your hand and thumb join...

Hold your hand slightly curled and press it - rare
touch your thumb and your forefinger together and press it - medium
thumb and middle finger - well done.

Don't be too scared of undercooking it, you can always put it back on or (God forbid!) put it in the microwave to finish it off.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 10 May 07 1:32pm

Jitka

Member since Wed 09 May 07

Thanks, everyone. Just one question:

you're probably cooking it too long at too high a temperature

What's the right temperature and how do I recognize it? (I have a gas stove with no scale.)

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 10 May 07 1:41pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04
    Likes (0)

#10 Thu 10 May 07 8:36pm

Bushman

Occupation Business & Life skills trainer
From South Africa
Member since Thu 10 May 07

I always buy a great cut - matured! Not frozen, Cast iron pan a must, cook on gas, medium rare and let it rest! - well that works for me!

Likes (0)