#111 Mon 18 Jun 07 7:50am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Re: Risotto....wtf?

Stuvik,

Well, I must say thanks for the inspiration.... it might be well worth my while checking out some corms, in they go & off I go... like I said, up here we just stick them in & forget them...

I might not harvest them for several years, just let them do their thing, but they are pretty, so who cares.

Likes (0)

#112 Thu 22 Jan 09 10:09pm

debs77b

Member since Thu 22 Jan 09

I make a lovely Baked Spanish Risotto.   I make it for 2 ppl and use 5oz of organic risotto rice, baby vine tomatoes, red onion, spanish saffron, 3/4pints of veg or chicken stock and chorizo. Chicken  Mixed dried herbs or fresh parsley and basil.   Salt and ground black pepper.  You can also add mushrooms and peppers and any other veg you think

It really is so easy.    YOU PUT TOMS AND RED ONION IN BAKING DISH IN TABLESPOON OF OLIVE OIL (SORRY WITH SOME CRUSHED GARLIC) BAKE FOR 10 MINS THEN ADD MUSHROOMS (IF USING) PEPPERS (IF USING) CHORITZO AND BAKE FOR FURTHER 10 MINS.   THEN ADD RICE, STOCK ETC ....      YOU CAN USE RAW CHICKEN AND JUST ADD WITH MUSHROOMS AND CHORITZO OR USE COOKED CHICKEN (I PREFER) ABOUT 10 MINS BEFORE THE END.   BAKE FOR 30 MINTUES     SO 50 IN TOTAL.

IT REALLY IS LOVELY WITH FRESH BREAD OR SALAD (OR BOTH) ENJOY
DEBS (EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND)  crossed

Likes (0)

#113 Thu 22 Jan 09 11:58pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Phew, what a long topic! I haven't worked my way through all of the posts here yet, but having lived in Italy and eaten in Italian friends homes, I have observed the following (I might be repeating what other people have said, so sorry about that).

Southern risottos tend to be more like a pilaf and don't contain butter and parmesan. I think the rice is just simmered in the all of stock for 20 minutes or so. This makes for a lighter dish with more separate grains, if that makes sense.

Northern Italian risottos are stirred constantly (or at least regularly) massage out the starch and make it creamy. The stock is added a ladle full at a time, and you also have to stir regularly to stop the rice sticking and burning in such a small amount of stock. A goodly heap of butter and pamesan are beaten in at the end with the pan off the heat. This is the way I always make risotto, and I think it's the way Jamie usually suggests in his recipe.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, a (northern) risotto is a labour of love, and worth the 45 minutes of care and attention.

PS. Keep the stock simmering and it should only take 18-20 from the addition of the rice.

Likes (0)

#114 Fri 01 Feb 13 1:13am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

John - Lee thatís good advice. Your comments are very useful and factual.That said I am no expert on Italian regional variations. I also follow the Jamie method. I agree 45 mins is well worth it. Food is sometimes hard work. It is worth the effort. We are in the U.K. a nation of grafters. Hard work never hurt anyone.
I made a fish stock yesterday following Gordon Ramsayís advice, from his superb secrets book, stunning results.
Homemade stock is a must in risotto. I go in hard with the stirring at the end. Stirring every now and then before, as you said to stop sticking and burning.
Angela Harnett says the rice should be swimming not drowning, I agree.
Also Italians use good ingredients. I use proper Parmesan, when needed. Normandy butter, Noilly Prat  vermouth or quality alcohol that suits the risotto being made. Always the freshest vegetables or shellfish. Quality, dried Mushrooms if needed. You get the picture.
Sorry it took 4 years to reply. There the risotto thread is on the go again. Merlin has an Italian thread posted up, itís worth going to.

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Fri 01 Feb 13 10:15pm)

Likes (0)

#115 Fri 01 Feb 13 1:15am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

They grow Saffron in Wales I think., you dont need much.

stuvik wrote:

GeoffP wrote:

Stuvik, while you experimenting with risotto, have a go with paella as well - you can never get enough knowledge about food.

I've always wanted to tackle a good paella. Saffron is a bit expensive though. Maybe I should figure out how to grow my own...1. Get seeds. 2. Stick into soil in sunlight. 3. Water. Repeat 3.  smile

Likes (0)

#116 Fri 01 Feb 13 9:56am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

And of course Saffron Waldon got its name as Saffron was grown there also.
( I'm not sure is it is still grown there)

Likes (0)

#117 Fri 01 Feb 13 10:10am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

goose.. thanks for bumping this old thread.. it was a classic..   here is another

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 48#p564648

and this one

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 36#p233636

Last edited by Ashen (Fri 01 Feb 13 10:16am)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#118 Fri 01 Feb 13 12:01pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

john_lee wrote:

Northern Italian risottos are stirred constantly (or at least regularly) massage out the starch and make it creamy. The stock is added a ladle full at a time, and you also have to stir regularly to stop the rice sticking and burning in such a small amount of stock. A goodly heap of butter and pamesan are beaten in at the end with the pan off the heat. This is the way I always make risotto, and I think it's the way Jamie usually suggests in his recipe.

That method's going to be similar to the one I'm planning to do next week.  Mushroom and pea risotto.  Watched it being prepped and cooked on tv a little while ago and looks delicious.

Likes (0)