forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 25 May 07 5:03pm

mutiny

From Melbourne
Member since Mon 30 Apr 07

Re: Risotto....wtf?

isnt a *proper* risotto *meant* to be stirred continuously? Isnt the whole idea to massage the starch in the rice? I dont understand how stirring "breaks up the rice". If you mean you're literally breaking your rice grains, then i dunno what stirring method you use, but it aint a good one. If you mean that its not clumping together... well... thats the idea. Risotto is meant to be like lava... oozy.

Making risotto is one of those things that require you to be there. Its a labor of love.

It shouldnt take you over 30 minutes to cook your rice, so you're either overcooking it, or cooking it with not enough heat. Make sure your stock is simmering already so you dont cool the rice (and the pan) down when you add it.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 25 May 07 9:15pm

likewarmfruit

Occupation cia
From la
Member since Thu 24 May 07

Anna wrote:

Yeah, I was also going to ask whether your stock is simmering when you add it.  If you keep cooling the rice down every time you add more liquid, you'll just keep lengthening the cooking process.

nice one. my stock is usually at room temp. i'll try simmering it before hand on my next go.

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 26 May 07 3:50am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

yeah you need the stock to be at least as hot as the pot you are putting it into..... same kind of idea as when you are making polenta if you need more water.. it has to be near boil or it will take forever.

on the automated stirring gadget front .. they actually make an automatic polenta maker..  thumbsup I imagine it would work just fine for rissotto as well 

http://www.bella-italia.com/cgi-bin/Sof … 1180145475

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#14 Sat 26 May 07 6:10am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Mutiny - no risotto does not 'have' to be stirred.

Depending on your region of Italy there are two methods, the stirring method is the most common. My friends family was from memory from the North somewhere and they never stirred for the reasons I gave before.

The basic method is to shake the pan a little as you add the hot stock and then leave it.

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 26 May 07 11:32am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Sadie lol  lol  lol

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 28 May 07 6:32pm

mutiny

From Melbourne
Member since Mon 30 Apr 07

im only going by what i have read, and that is that a *true* risotto is stirred constantly.

i may be wrong, but its what ive read over and over.  hmm

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 28 May 07 7:57pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Not constantly, no.  The only tip I've ever stuck to when making risotto is 'Don't leave the kitchen!'.  You don't need to stir without interruption, but do so for the first five minutes or so to rub out all the starch.  After that, it's fine to just give it a stir every minute or so, leaving you free to do the other bits and bobs such as sauteeing mushrooms or whatever.

(Not making much sense this evening, but I think the gist comes across!)

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 29 May 07 12:06am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

sounds fine to me anna... usually once i get it going, i make sure i stir in each laddle of stock and stir when that addition of stock is almost completely absorbed..   You can get by with just a stir or two during those 2 or 3  mins inbetween.   Usually i am furiously chopping something i have forgoten at this point  lol

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#19 Tue 29 May 07 10:02am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Well maybe you are right mutiny - I've only been cooking Italian style food thirty years or so and grew up with a lot of Italians.

Last edited by sadie-hoshi (Tue 29 May 07 10:03am)

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 29 May 07 12:54pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Ashen, I know what you mean... a bit of furious stirring usually unsticks it from the bottom, though!   wink

Likes (0)