forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 28 May 07 5:22pm

winterpolaris

From Sunny Singapore
Member since Wed 21 Dec 05

Surprise Birthday Tips

Hello All:

I am going to plan a surprise birthday but I just terrible when i prepare food for big groups! Do you all have any suggestion that i can prepare meal for people from 10 to 20 folks?

Thanks for all your help in advance big_smile yummy

I looked into Jamie's recipe.. and my friends just love his recipes... so do point me to some of the recipes where i can prepare in large amount and feed them big_smile thanks!!!!!!

Last edited by winterpolaris (Mon 28 May 07 5:23pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 28 May 07 5:51pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Surprise Birthday Tips

Hi Polaris,
The easiest thing is to ask everyone to bring something wink

If you make a salad, barbecue or fingerfood, must make the same thing in larger amounts wink These things make great party foods, too. Just choose whichever ones you like. Either have a few salads and some bread and stuff from the barbecue, or have a buffet of finger foods.

Now if it is to be a sit down dinner - maybe some of the others have good ideas? wink

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 29 May 07 4:03am

winterpolaris

From Sunny Singapore

Hi SusannaH, that sounds really good smile

what about the rest... any cool ideas to top up big_smile

help  me  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 29 May 07 9:42am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

jamie smashed courgettes (zucchini for some of us) goes down very well at parties and can be made a day ahead. I usually make it to serve with antipasto (i'm not really into making entrees). If you are not sure about the number of people then a stew or a curry might be best as it's the kind of thing you can stretch to feed more (more rice) or store (freeze) if not as many people arrive. I like to keep dessert simple when I have a lot of people, like an ice cream or pavolva.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 29 May 07 11:00am

winterpolaris

From Sunny Singapore

do u all think jamie's fish pie a good idea??? but cod fish is kinda of pricey sad my family love the fish pie that i done during last christmas.. so i tot of doing fish pie ...

do u think dory fish to replace cod fish a good idea?

what say u all..

oh the smashed courgettes.. u got pictures to show?? haha big_smile  mrgreen

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 29 May 07 1:25pm

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

For the xmas that just went we had a big bowl of fruit salad with custard and cream. Went down well.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 29 May 07 11:29pm

esin

Occupation in between them pesky jobs
From 3rd floor, Universe
Member since Tue 22 May 07

I swear this forum is programmed to hate me as it was the second time the screen went berserk and wiped out an answer as long as War and Peace just as I was almost finished with it. Anyway, great soul food, minimal f*** up involved as long as your grill (the one in your oven) behaves. Blah blah blah, ya di ya di yah... Cut to the chase, my secret recipe for tasty chicken skewers not revealed to a living soul until NOW:

for c. 4 people (everything's quite approximate so you go by the feel)

Marinade:
3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 garlic clove crushed
1 tsp (5ml) paprika powder
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme (I recommend the dried stuff even though I know Jamie Oliver will personally hunt me down and kill me for saying such a blasphemous thing on HIS website)

3 chicken breasts diced (1 breast per person is too much, but half is too little; unless they're really big eaters, can't help you with that I'm afraid)
cherry tomatoes
onions (big ones diced or shallots whole)
mushrooms whole
peppers diced (you choose the colour)
wooden barbie skewers

Mix together the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Chuck the chicken pieces in and mix. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
Soak the wooden sticks in ice cold water for a half an hour to prevent them from charring during cooking.
Get your ingredients out (everything washed of course except for the mushrooms, those you clean by wiping them with moist kitchen towel). Start putting things on the skewers as you prefer them (I always do it one chicken, one veg, one chicken, one veg. You get the idea.) This is the only laborious bit so on the party day you can do this bit well in advance and just refrigerate covered with cling film.
Once your skewers are assembled with yummy goodness, cook under the oven grill for 10 min. on one side and another 10 min. on the opposite side. If your grill is a funky one like the one I have now, you are better to test this recipe out before the big day since you might have to adjust you cooking time according to your grill's temp.
Serve.

The great thing about this recipe is that it goes very well with any kind of side dish, so if you're making salads and such, it should be plenty. Two or maybe three skewers per person and they will be stuffed at the end of it.

Even if you choose not to go with it for the party, you should try it out some other time. And for all the rest of you: SPREAD THE LOVE, PEOPLE!

Last edited by esin (Sat 02 Jun 07 5:54pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 30 May 07 3:18am

winterpolaris

From Sunny Singapore

yo esin! Wow your recipe really looks good big_smile

nice nice one.... the above is only for 4 people at most right... look like i got to do lots lots of kebah....

You know, back in Singapore, our chicken skewers.. they are known as Satays smile we dip the charcoal grilled satay into peanut sauce and served along with cucumber, onion and ketupat (rice dumplings wrapped in palm leaf) it taste good smile thumbsup  one of the singapore love food

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 30 May 07 11:51am

esin

Occupation in between them pesky jobs
From 3rd floor, Universe
Member since Tue 22 May 07

Well, it's approximately for four people. To be honest I always end up having more than needed. So definitely test the recipe out first and you should have a feel for how much you actually get out of that one. But especially if you have other stuff like salads ect. two skewers per person is plenty. You might want to recruit some help for assembling them if you need to make forty.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 30 May 07 4:52pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

If your satays are in anyway similar to Indonesian ones I would kill for them... (I had a class mate from Indonesia and her family sometimes brought them to the schools international food night) yummy

Likes (0)