Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 08 Jun 07 11:39am

hybridarts

From Australia
Member since Mon 07 May 07

Stone/Steel/Diamond

I did a search for sharpening knives but it didn't provide too many results so I thought I'd ask the question: Stone and steel or diamond tip.  Just wondering what people use and their opinions on the above mentioned methods.  I know there are some gadgets on the market that will allow you tosharpen knives at the precise angle etc. but I kinda like the traditional ways.  I still cut everything with a knife even if it takes longer
ADAP

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 08 Jun 07 2:42pm

itsdanny

Occupation Web Gimp
From W Yorks
Member since Mon 14 Aug 06

Re: Stone/Steel/Diamond

I'd say it depends on the knife. I've got some victorinox which i use a diamond steel on. I periodically give them the once over with a whetstone (which i use solely for my really expensive knife). So use both. Good practice is to maintain on a steel but resharpen on a stone to sort it out from time to time.
dan

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 08 Jun 07 2:56pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I use a steel to just give them a nice edge.  But to really sharpen, I take them in to have a pro do it.  Luckily, there are several people in the area who sharpen them including a man at the farmer's market.
eddie

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 09 Jun 07 7:45am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Please correct me if I am wrong here... I thought that after you have your knives sharpened or if they are sharp to begin with one used the steel to maintain the sharpness, not to actually sharpen the knife... then once it gets a little dull, you go and either get them professionaly sharpened or do it yourself? I guess what I am asking is what role the "steel" does. I usullly get my knives done elsewhere too.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 09 Jun 07 7:52am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

bcrain wrote:

Please correct me if I am wrong here... I thought that after you have your knives sharpened or if they are sharp to begin with one used the steel to maintain the sharpness, not to actually sharpen the knife... then once it gets a little dull, you go and either get them professionaly sharpened or do it yourself? I guess what I am asking is what role the "steel" does. I usullly get my knives done elsewhere too.

You are right.

I will try and explain what happens.

When a knife is professionally sharpened it puts a new 'edge' on it of (in german knives) 30 degrees (from memory).

As you use a the knife the edge is kind of bent over (like a lip) which takes the 'edge' 'off' the blade making it blunt.

When you use a steel, you are straightening this lip again which puts the edge back on the knife.

I get my knives professionally sharpened once a year and use a steel in between that.

I also have a water stone that I use for my Global knife every 6 months or so.

Did that make sense??

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 09 Jun 07 4:46pm

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

Thanks Sadie, it did.  smile I saw on a tv show years ago someone explaining the whole knife thing... when they mentioned the steel part I believe they said to run the knife at 10 degrees and it wasn't something that had to be done with force either. Am I wrong about the 10 degrees thing?

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 09 Jun 07 8:27pm

mutiny

From Melbourne
Member since Mon 30 Apr 07

the edge is usually 20º

as sadie said, sharpening (with a stone) is for putting a completely new edge on a knife. a steel is just honing the edge (making it more precise and keeping it that way over time). if you sharpen your knife with a stone too often you will wear away your blade too quickly. thats why you need to hone your knife.

here is a good link in regards to sharpening knives if your interested:
http://users.ameritech.net/knives/index.htm

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 10 Jun 07 4:17am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

10 degrees is for global knives.

Be careful that if you have them  if you are not doing it yourself the person who sharpens them knows what they are doing.

I have a whetstone that I use with my global and I actual purchased a metal guide that clips ontpo the back of the knife and gives you the correct angle. The pack I bought had two of these - one for 'normal' knives (trident etc and one for globals.

Works a treat.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 10 Jun 07 5:35pm

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

That's what I though but as I age my memory isn't all that, lol! Actually I am not that old but it feels like it somedays.

My husband has a ton of stones he uses for other things and has sharpened them once but I usually take them in... which I should do as they are getting a little dull.

I am going to buy a sushi knife for my husband for father's Day. I really can think of anything else... although I did buy a Steven Segal movie the other day, lol!

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 10 Jun 07 6:03pm

mutiny

From Melbourne
Member since Mon 30 Apr 07

which knife do you have in mind of buying (if you dont mind me asking)?

Likes (0)