forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 09 Jun 07 7:17pm

Wolfpup

Member since Sat 09 Jun 07

Spaghetti Nests

I bought this package of dry pasta, individually tangled and shaped like bird nests.  Does anyone know how to cook these or what to do with them help

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 09 Jun 07 7:53pm

Femurs

Member since Sun 07 Jan 07

Re: Spaghetti Nests

Sounds like tagliatelle.  I usually do two of those nests per person, drop them into boiling salted water and cook as you would other dried pasta.  As it cooks it will loosen and fall out of the nest shapes.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 25 Jun 07 12:26pm

Henri_!

Occupation Student
From little village, south Germany
Member since Sun 29 Oct 06

You can use tagliatelle insead of ever other noodles. If they fall out of the nest shapes while cooking (what they always do...) you can try to spool them into a nest shape again with a fork you stick into the middle of all your noodles and turn it. Of course it's not looking as good as before you cooked them, but it's a bit nicer...
Love, Henri

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 25 Jun 07 3:26pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

You have probably  looked before, but have you checked the package? Most packages of pasta say exactly how to cook them.
I am assuming thought the nests are only a help to portion them. So through them in the water, cook and out they come untangled (like the others have suggested)...

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 25 Jun 07 5:31pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

As others have said, once put in the boiling water, the "nests" will break up into "normal" pasta with some stirring.

I used to (20+yrs ago), have recipes that used cooked spaghetti (much narrower than you are describing) as the basis for pies (the pasta taking the place of pastry). Don't know where they are but could look if you wish.

Otherwise, if you still want that "nest" shape, for aesthetic reasons, drain your cooked noodles, grab a portion sized amount and practice with tongs, fork and spoon to re-create the nest shape.

Hope this helps!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)