forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 10 Jun 07 10:41am

helenthepom

Member since Sun 10 Jun 07

healthy eating

I have been given a task by my manager to remove all the unhealthy products that we sell.
Party pies, sausage rolls, wedges and potato cakes.
I have to devise a replacement for them all. 
I have one under counter oven, but need to be able to cope with food for groups of 600 school aged swimmers.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can use as a replacement?

Please help if you can.
Thanks from Melbourne, Australia big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 10 Jun 07 12:29pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: healthy eating

Welcome to the forums, Helen wave

What kind of business is it?

Pies etc can be ok, if not bought frozen with lots of flavor enhancers etc....

Swimmers sounds like you need food that is high in protein.
Yogurts are a good idea (though cold) - with fruit etc. they make nice healthy snacks.

Salads with stripes of ham, cheese, and boiled eggs.

Sandwiches (both cold and warm) with a dark bread and healthy ingredients: chicken breast, tuna, eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, maybe sprouts .... - just don't soak them in butter or mayo.

Vegetable lasagne,
curries,

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 10 Jun 07 1:48pm

helenthepom

Member since Sun 10 Jun 07

Thanks SusanneH
the business is a leisure centre.
we make sandwiches- hot and cold. we also sell soups, chilli, curry, lasagne, spaghetti bolognaise. fruit salads, yoghurt, jellies
Salads will be coming in for the summer months.
we are at the moment trialing jaket potatoes with various fillings.
As a general rule vegetarian food doesn't sell.
oven space is going to be a problem as its not a great one to start with.
We have a great age range too, from babies to 80+
Keep coming with the ideas. They are all welcome.
Thanks

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 10 Jun 07 3:04pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forums helenthepom, smile

I know this is in a way similar to sandwiches, but, filled pitta pockets might be good...add salad then a main ingredient , something like spicy chicken ,  good roasted beef, roasted vegetables and soft cream cheese .good tasty fillings.
Please do sell a vegetarian option ,it may not be as poppular , but just stock less. there is nothing worse than being a vegetarian and finding either nothing on the menu, or,the usual.... pasta with a tomatoe sauce /veg lasagne on the menu as vegetarian options...make it a bit more exciting and there may be more takers.
Roasted veg are so simple to do , just chop them reasonably fine, (a little like french fries in shape ) scatter with a few herbs,(dried are fine), a little satla,pepper and olive oil and roast for a short while so that they still retain some of their texture......great in sandwiches, great on pasta , great as an additional extra.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 10 Jun 07 4:11pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Thanks for the extra info.

Maybe you could make little chicken skewers. They can be made ahead and taste great eaten cold. You could make them with a sate marinade, or tikka style.

Meatballs (cold or warm). They can be made "healthier" even by adding chopped veggies.
Add corn and diced red or green pepper and some tex mex spices.
Add chopped up sun dried tomatoes (either those in oil or add a little garlic also) and Italian herbs.
Add diced red or green pepper and little chunks of feta cheese.
Add sliced spring onions for an extra crunch.

Salad can be great in winter, too. You could do potato or pasta salads. Just make sure they aren't all the mayo kind. Or vegetable salads. I was asked to bring a salad to a house moving party once and made a green bean salad (didn't have time to go shopping, so had to make do with what I had) with a thai flavoring using coconutmilk, curry paste and lime juice. (Did not write down the recipe, so can't share. I basically experimented...)

The pita pockets are a great idea. Somehow children and teenagers often seem to find that more interesting than the good old sandwich. Wraps are a good idea for them too. Also for the low carb dieters. Just take a flour tortilla and pile up salad greens, chicken or ham, diced tomato, a little dressing (eg. yoghurt), shreeded cheese and roll into that tortilla.... Also good with tuna, sun dried tomatoes, .....

I agree that there should be a vegetarian option other than salad though...

wink

Likes (0)