From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Stopping apples from turning brown

Here if I want it pure (Ascorbinsäure) I will have to go to the pharmacy wink

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 14 Jun 07 10:35pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

The Bulk Barn  is a bulk food store here that sells ascorbic acid in the spice section.. not too expensive either. I never really understood why before now though.  big_smile

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#13 Fri 15 Jun 07 7:13pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Went to a grocery store today that is on my way back from my Friday job - I don't usually go there, but was in a hurry - and they had it lol

Will let you know how the cake went.  crossed

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 16 Jun 07 9:53pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Here is the recipe:

Green Apple Cake

1 layer of a dark sponge base or a base of digestive biscuit crumbs with chocolate (Springform size)

filling:
4 leaves gelatin
400 g sour cream
2 egg whites
1 pinch salt
50 g sugar

topping:
100 g sugar
150 ml water
2 green apples (Granny Smith)
juice and zest of one lemon
½ tsp vitamin C
4 leaves gelatin

Method:
Put springform ring around the base.
Soak gelatin in water. Squeeze out the water and dissolve in 2 tbsp sour cream over steam. Mix with remaining sour cream.
Beat egg whites with salt until almost stiff. Continue beating adding the sugar. Fold stiff mix under the sour cream and spread onto base (c. 1 hour until cream is set)
Simmer sugar and water for 5 min. Then leave to cool.
Soak gelatin in water for 5 min. Puree syrup, lemon, vitamin C, peel of both apples and 1 cored apple in mixer for 2-3 min. Finely dice the other apple and sprinkle evenly over sour cream. Dissolve gelatin with 2 tbsp of apple mix over steam. Stir into remaining apple mix. Evenly pour over cake making sure to glaze all pieces of apple.

I have the recipe from a magazine (Meine Familie und ich). Only the digestive biscuit base did not work too well , as it came apart (not enough chocolate). I think I will use a chocolate sponge base next time.
And the original recipe used a 20 cm square pan. The 24 cm springform worked perfectly well though.
The sour cream middle is wonderfully fluffy with the egg whites and the apple topping stays bright green, the diced apples give a nice crunch.
Very refreshing!

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 18 Jun 07 3:45am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Hmm, does ascorbic acid have a taste? I imagine it to be sour like citric acid but Im not sure.....

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 18 Jun 07 11:38am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

It is sour, but you use only a 1/2 teaspoon. That layer of the cake is a bit sour anyway with the apples and lemon, so I am not sure if the ascorbic acid adds significantly to the sourness. I thought the cake came out with a perfect balance of a little sourness and sweetness. wink

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 18 Jun 07 10:30pm

Khun

Occupation Food Technologist
From The Netherlands
Member since Sat 19 Feb 05

Hi,

Vitamine C is just another name for Ascorbic acid. And ascorbic acid is indeed available as some sort of powder=> the food industry uses it. For homemade cake, lemon juice will do!
thumbsup

Likes (0)