forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 18 Jun 07 3:08am

kangaroodie

From toronto canada
Member since Mon 18 Jun 07

Sodium content

As a heart patient who can only have 500 mg of sodium a day what am I do with all the recipes that state you must add salt to bring out the natural flavors.  Other options?

Thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 18 Jun 07 11:34am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Sodium content

Don't add the salt... or ask your doctor to recommend a low sodium salt. Salt does help, but it's not like dishes taste awful without it.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 18 Jun 07 11:45am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Rabbit is right.
When you still feel your dish tastes to bland garlic and / or herbs sometimes help, too wink
And in many ways flavor is what you are used to. The less salt you usually use the less you will need to meet your taste! (I use relatively little salt and cut down on my sugar intake and it is amazing to taste all the original flavors of the produce or meat. - Before I usually covered up the flavor or my taste buds had got so lazy...)

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 18 Jun 07 11:54am

kangaroodie

From toronto canada
Member since Mon 18 Jun 07

thanks but how do you make the skin crispy like JO does for fish and poultry and pork without the added salt.  I have not used any salt added to meals for almost two years and have found when I use even traditional baking soda[which one tsp is 180ml of sodium] it is all I taste.

thanks again

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 18 Jun 07 2:47pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

The secret to crispy skin is dryness - that is what te salt is used for.

As an alternative, yo can use the chinese method for meat and poultry. Pour boiling water over the skin side - use plenty znd do it seversl times. Then dry the skin completely - first blotting the water off, then drying it, either by hanging it somewhere dry and airy, or you can cheat using a hair dryer.

Get the crackling or crisp skin started by searing skin side down pressed well onto tye griddle until it is nicely browned, the roast as normal.

Fir fish with a crispy skin, omit the boiling water stage, and dry it well before searing.

Likes (0)