Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Re: pizza stone - how to use

The Cuban Chef wrote:

JUST USE IT FOR EVERYTHING.............THAT YOU BAKE FLAT
THEN DON'T WASH IT.. EVER

Food poisoning anyone????

I have a pizza stone and I do wash mine after it has cooled down.

I wash it in hot soapy water and then put it back into the warm oven to dry out.

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 27 Jun 07 3:40am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I don't worry much about washing mine either.. i take a board scraper to it when it is cool but other than that it is fine...I preheat my oven with the stone in it for a good half hour to 45 mins at 475 to 500 F. If anything can survive that , it won't be cleaned off by a bit of soapy water.  whistle

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#13 Fri 29 Jun 07 9:15pm

The Cuban Chef

Occupation peace and duck grease
From united states
Member since Mon 10 Jul 06

DUDE. THATS HOW THEY DO IT IN ITALY.. THEY DO NOT PUT SOAP TO IT...... I HAVE ONLY SEEN IT IN A REALLY MILD SOAP..... BUT HEY
YOU EAT MOLDED CHEESE EVERYDAY..... NOT TO JUSTIFY THE MOLDED CHEESE COMMENT, BUT IT IS TRUE.......
EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO WHAT EVER THEY WANT, BUT I DO IT DIFF.
MANY CHEFS WILL AGREE WITH ME AND I AM SURE JUST AS MANY WILL DISAGREE......... clap

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 29 Jun 07 9:29pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Cuban Chef, would you mind switching of the CAPS LOCK? It would be so much easier to read (and more polite).

Well, the mold on cheese you refer to is different from the mold that happens from not cleaning dishes which can be a serious health hazzard.

I admit that the scraping off suggested by Ashen might be enough, but I rather wash mine when I have stuff spilled on it (not if I baked something dry on it or nothing went over the crust). There are people who claim that you should never wash a teapot either, but I prefer mine cleaned.

You can do whatever works for you and that is totally fine, but washing does not do any harm if anyone prefers to do that. Just make sure that the stone is cooled before you do and dry before you use it again.

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 14 Jul 07 7:14pm

Antonio76

Occupation Cook
From Sicily
Member since Thu 05 Jul 07

but the traditional " forno a legna " for the pizza .. must be cleaned every night ... not for any particular " healty " reason ... as far as i know ... just for to be ready to be charged with the new wood the day after ... other way will be full of ash soon ... wich is required for the bottom of the pizza ... but not too much ... so ... u must clean it ... but just brush it ... no soap really ... what you wont never clean is the coffe moka  wink

Likes (0)