forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 09 Jul 07 5:10pm

Nick307

Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Osso Buco

Anyone?  Got some cracking pieces of beef shin on the bone, so thought I'd try and crack an Osso Buco, despite it not being veal as the taste will be much the same if not better.

Anyone got a recipe?  And is it served with risotto traditionally?  I seem to remember a saffron risotto being best?

Ta

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 09 Jul 07 7:43pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Re: Osso Buco

Mum has a great recipe (with veal) but I cant really remember.... tomatoes, garlic, onions, white wine, herbs... I know I'm missing a few things..... and she puts a few bones in as well....

and I like it served with fresh egg pastas like tagliatelles and some freshly grated parmesan.... hum........  yummy

French_vanilla

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 10 Jul 07 12:28am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

This one is from "The Silver Spoon" (can't get much more genuine than that smile)

OSSO BUCO, MILANESE

Serves 4

Ingredients
• 6 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 onion, chopped
• 4 osso buco (2-inch thick rounds of veal shank)
• all-purpose flour, for dusting
• 5 tablespoons dry white wine
• 3/4 cup Meat Stock
• 1 celery stalk, chopped
• 1 carrot, chopped
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• salt and pepper

For the gremolata
• thinly pared rind of 1/2 lemon, finely chopped
• 1 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprig, finely chopped

Directions
Melt the butter in a pan, add the onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.

Dust the veal with flour, add to the pan and cook over high heat, turning frequently, until browned all over.

Season with salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes more, then pour in the wine and cook until it has evaporated.

Add the stock, celery and carrot, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, adding more stock if necessary.

Mix the tomato paste with 1 tablespoon hot water in a bowl and stir into the pan.

Prepare the gremolata by combining the lemon rind and parsley in a bowl, add the mixture to the veal, turn carefully and cook for 5 minutes more.

Last edited by GeoffP (Tue 10 Jul 07 12:29am)

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 10 Jul 07 8:30am

Nick307

That's brilliant Geoff.  You're right, you're not going to get much more authentic than The Silver Spoon!  Thanks very much.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 11 Jul 07 10:15pm

The Cuban Chef

Occupation peace and duck grease
From united states
Member since Mon 10 Jul 06

YEAH

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 17 Jul 07 6:08pm

Nick307

GeoffP wrote:

This one is from "The Silver Spoon" (can't get much more genuine than that smile)

OSSO BUCO, MILANESE

Serves 4

Ingredients
• 6 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 onion, chopped
• 4 osso buco (2-inch thick rounds of veal shank)
• all-purpose flour, for dusting
• 5 tablespoons dry white wine
• 3/4 cup Meat Stock
• 1 celery stalk, chopped
• 1 carrot, chopped
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• salt and pepper

For the gremolata
• thinly pared rind of 1/2 lemon, finely chopped
• 1 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprig, finely chopped

Directions
Melt the butter in a pan, add the onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.

Dust the veal with flour, add to the pan and cook over high heat, turning frequently, until browned all over.

Season with salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes more, then pour in the wine and cook until it has evaporated.

Add the stock, celery and carrot, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, adding more stock if necessary.

Mix the tomato paste with 1 tablespoon hot water in a bowl and stir into the pan.

Prepare the gremolata by combining the lemon rind and parsley in a bowl, add the mixture to the veal, turn carefully and cook for 5 minutes more.

Wonderful Geoff, thanks.  I used beef shin rather than veal so the 30 minutes cooking was obviously not going to be enough, I cooked mine for more like 3 or 4, but it was delicious.  Thanks

Likes (0)