forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 19 Jul 07 5:46pm

holeys

Member since Sat 22 Oct 05

flour insects

Hi everyone,
I just went down to make scones and opened me self raising flour only to notice something moving in there. I remember hearing on cookery show something about flour insects, so just had to throw away the entire stock of flour even the closed batches had one in there. Hope im not the only one who’s had this problem and does anyone have any tips on ways to ensure they do not return.
jaz

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 19 Jul 07 6:24pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: flour insects

I think that these tiny insects are probably flour weevils.
I had them once and in the end I seem to remember that I had to get rid of all the dried ingredients from my pantry and wash the shelves with a strong cleaner..I used Bleach.
I beleive that they are harmless if eaten.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 19 Jul 07 6:42pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I have had trouble over the years with little moths that get into flour, pasta, nuts and several other things.  What I ended up doing was storing all my flour and other insect goodies in plastic canisters.  Ofcourse, you really do have to scrub your cupboards once you've found the nasty things to make sure you've gotten rid of any eggs or larvae.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 19 Jul 07 6:50pm

holeys

Member since Sat 22 Oct 05

Thanks for tips I cleaned the drawer out and luckily it was only flour dust left. Yea think it will be best option putting everything in tubs.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 20 Jul 07 1:28am

Thrifty

Occupation Jack of all trades
From UK
Member since Wed 27 Jun 07

an oven at 250c kills most insects big_smile  i have had the same problem though i did the exact dumped the lot cleaned and re stocked. my main problem was a tin i got from a flour company i think it was a bugger to clean it so i dumped it too.

not that i cook insects btw..although i hear some are quite a delicasy

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 20 Jul 07 2:55am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

lol   my cousin came in for a visit from south korea.. he is teaching english there.. he brought back a can of silkworm pupa....  it even had a picture on the label.. makes me think what other  cultures would think of a can of tuna or canned ham.  lol

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#7 Fri 20 Jul 07 6:04am

michelle26

From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 27 Sep 05

I had the problem too earlier this year.  They were in the dried breadcrumbs.   Freaked the kids out as we had had crumbed chops the night before and I never noticed them   lol  lol

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 20 Jul 07 6:19am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I use old Maxwell house coffee jars. They easily fit 2kg of sugar, flour etc in them. I must have at least 20 of them on my pantry shelves.

On the shelf above I have dozens of Moccona coffee jars filled with whole & ground spices, and dried herbs.

When I lived in Sydney I found that even in summer when cockroaches & other bugs were on the rampage they avoided the cupboard full of spices.

Last edited by frizz1974 (Fri 20 Jul 07 6:23am)

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 20 Jul 07 6:29am

michelle26

From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 27 Sep 05

Frizz, I would love to get a Tupperware consultant in to organise mine .. I just don't have the cash for that  sad

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 20 Jul 07 10:32am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Its just too expensive. I have had friends go through tupperware crazes, dragging me to parties etc. But I like my jars.

When on sale they were $8.00 each & full of coffee to boot.

When they swapped from red to blue lids my SIL swapped hers out as her jars can be seen for the time being (we still havent made the doors for her pantry) but as my jars are in a closed cupboard I have no problems with red lids.

Likes (0)