forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 07 Aug 07 6:01pm

Pilar Bo

From Spain
Member since Tue 07 Aug 07

Spanish omelette

I've just seen your "Spanish omelette" and must say the only things in common with the real Spanish one are the eggs and the potatoes. Don't doubt yours is delicious (looks great!) and we (my man and me) may try cooking something similar. You could try adding onion: it makes the omelette taste really good! Greetings from Spain.

Last edited by Pilar Bo (Tue 07 Aug 07 6:02pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 07 Aug 07 6:03pm

Pilar Bo

From Spain

Re: Spanish omelette

Pilar Bo wrote:

I've just seen your "Spanish omelette" and must say the only things in common with the real Spanish one are the eggs and the potatoes. Don't doubt yours is delicious (looks great!) and we (my man and me) may try cooking something similar. You could try adding onion: it makes the omelette taste really good! Greetings from Spain.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 09 Aug 07 12:34am

Kikalos

Member since Wed 08 Aug 07

Hello I'm spanish & I don't speak very English, but the "Spanish Omelette" that Jamie Oliver make in the program of cook is interesting.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 10 Aug 07 2:10am

Bruce C

Occupation Organic Herb Farmer ESQ.
From Hong Kong
Member since Sun 03 Oct 04

Hi Everybody:

I have tried the Spanish omelet that Jamie made, it is easy and great.  The best part is that it is fast, so if one needs to cook up a great meal fast, this is the ticket.

May I please ask our Spanish cooking friends to post their recipe of their Spanish omelet, as I would like to try yours?

I have to get back to the setting up of my BBQ; I have to be ready for dinner tonight!

Cheers:

Bruce C / Hong Kong

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 12 Aug 07 12:00pm

lara_mccormick

From Melbourne
Member since Sun 12 Aug 07

Hi,
My husband and I really want to make the spanish omelette but didn't jot down the recipe and I can't find it on the site. Can someone please direct me to the recipe or post it in the forum?
Thanks smile

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 12 Aug 07 6:11pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

I saw this again the other night and Jaime said that it was a cross between a fritatta and a spanish omelet.

He never said it was a spanish omelet at all. Just something delicious he came up with based on the two cooking methods.

Lara - unfortunately, we cannot give you the recipe as Jaime has requested that we do not put them on the net until the book comes out.

The best thing for you to do is to get the book as it will be awhile after that that any one will bef putting them up.

Last edited by Cindy (Sun 12 Aug 07 6:13pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 13 Aug 07 11:59am

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

Was there a "Jamie at home" over in australia?

Haven't seen this recipe on his show.

I hope this is a fast way of making it, the way I make it involves boiling the potatoes, so that add's 15-20 minutes already sad

Last edited by Alex G (Mon 13 Aug 07 12:00pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 13 Aug 07 2:05pm

Pilar Bo

From Spain

I know what he said in the programme, Cindy, and the only difference he made about our omelette and the fritatta was the way of cooking (in the oven instead of on the fire) but not about the ingredients or the rest of the method.
I have to leave now but I promise I will write the "real Spanish omelette" recipe soon.
From Spain, Pilar

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 14 Aug 07 4:48am

stuvik

Occupation IT - Programmer
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Tue 22 May 07

Alex G wrote:

Was there a "Jamie at home" over in australia?

Haven't seen this recipe on his show.

I hope this is a fast way of making it, the way I make it involves boiling the potatoes, so that add's 15-20 minutes already sad

Jamie at Home is/was being played here is Oz (yay!).

I think you still have to boil the potatoes. Might have been a pre-step. before making the omelette.

Regards.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 14 Aug 07 2:15pm

Pilar Bo

From Spain

Here goes the recipe:
Ingredients: 4 big potatoes, 1 onion, 6 eggs, olive oil, salt.
Method: Peel, wash and cut the potatoes into thin slices. Add salt to them.
Heat well the oil in a deep frying pan (quite a good quantity), and add the potatoes.
To fry, stir the potatoes and lower the heat. They must be well cooked not only fried. Stir occasionally so that they don't get burnt.
As soon as they are a golden colour, remove from the pan and put the potato mixture either in a sieve or on kitchen paper, so that as much oil as possible drains away or is absorbed. TIP:If you put a bit of this on a piece of bread, you will taste one of the best bites you can ever have!
Then, beat the eggs well with a pinch of salt. MY VERY SPECIAL TIP: if you want the omelette spongy, beat well the white first, and then add and beat the yolks.
Add the potatoes to the egg and mix well but carefully if you don't want to break the potatoes too much.
Put some olive oil in the frying pan, so that its bottom is covered with a thin layer of oil.
Once the oil is hot, add the potato and egg mixture.
Lower the heat in oder not to burn the omelette and shake the pan gently as you move the mixture, so that nothing sticks to the bottom.
Once the lower side of the omelette seems to be cooked, use a large plate to turn it over.
Put it again in the pan so that it is cooked on the other side.
When it is finished, put it on a plate.

If you go to YouTube and type "tortilla de patata" you can see several videos where they show how to make a Spanish omelette. As you can see, people like it in different ways: with garlic and pepper, with smashed potatoes, I even saw a lady that put milk with the eggs! The secret is to find the way you like most.
It's not difficult to do, but takes a little time to make it, at least half an hour since you start peeling the potatoes until it's finished. But the best thing is that you can eat it either hot or cold. But please, never use a microwave to heat it!
And you can accompany it with anything you like, sauces, cold meats, vegetables...

I hope you try it and enjoy as much as I do smile

Last edited by Pilar Bo (Tue 14 Aug 07 2:21pm)

Likes (0)