forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 15 Aug 07 6:02pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Vegetable shortening?

When a No.American recipe calls for veg shortening, does it mean those blocks of "lard-like" (yes, I know that lard comes from beef) such as Crisco?

Can I safely substitute canola oil instead of buying something I won't use again?

Btw, the recipe is for dog biscuits.

Thanks heaps!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Wed 15 Aug 07 6:53pm

Garou

From Singapore
Member since Sun 19 Mar 06

Re: Vegetable shortening?

I think the closest substitute you might find is lard, actually. Though you may think lard is unhealthy, but I'm sure its better by far than Crisco (ie the stuff that you can leave on the counter for years and NOTHING touches).

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 15 Aug 07 6:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Yes Maree ...as far as I know it is crisco is vegetable shortning.
In the UK you can buy Trex.. a solid vegetable fat .. which is a similar product.

I am not too sure if you can use a canola oil instead , or how the quantities would equate.
I suppose that it eould depend on the amouts used and if you were using flour.
i know that when we  make bread we always use sunflower oil instead of butter of lard.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 15 Aug 07 7:12pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Crisco is the best known brand of shortening.

Problem with using oil might be that it is liquid. In most baking recipes you can use lard or margarine. Shortening is often used in recipes that traditionally had contained lard in times past. The taste is probably different, but I assume the texture of the result to be the same.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 15 Aug 07 7:15pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Thank you both for your responses. 

The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of veg shortening. Since it is biscuits, it has flour. Might try substituting 60ml canola oil for the solid fat (which will migrate to the back of the fridge never to be found again!).

Thanks, again smile

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 15 Aug 07 7:43pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Crisco now comes with 0 trans fat.  Just in case anyone was wondering.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 15 Aug 07 10:19pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

What is trans fat?

(Sorry, I thought I knew quite a bit about nutrition, but I think I never heard this. Maybe I know it under the German term whatever that is...)

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 16 Aug 07 12:10am

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

Hi Maree, would you mind posting the recipe?  It's just that I would be wary of a recipe for dog biscuits that uses shortening.  It's not at all a healthy fat, you'd be better off finding lard than using Crisco.

And I'm sure you know this, but most dog biscuits use canola oil for the fat.  I don't see any problem substituting this; it's a bit more healthy, and dogs don't really care about texture anyway. smile

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 16 Aug 07 1:23am

Garou

From Singapore
Member since Sun 19 Mar 06

Trans fats are fats created artificially by partially hydrogenating unsaturated fats. This makes them have a higher shelf life and a higher melting point (Think margarine as an example).

Trans fats has no nutritional benefit to human health and research has in fact shown them to be detrimental.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 16 Aug 07 7:00am

Maree

Forum super champ

Checking the recipes I used when I first started the business, the call for 1-2tabs of canola oil. That's for a batch of 100-110.

This new book calls for 1/4cup veg shortening for much the same yield. Think I'd better go buy some of the veg shortening.

Thanks for your help smile

Likes (0)