Jamie Oliver

forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Tue 11 Sep 07 12:10am

forno

Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Re: Wood burning pizza ovens

Hi geoff in your retired proffesion you should be looking for the truth not riding on the rollercoaster with all the doubting thomases. nice hat !

Likes (0)

#22 Tue 11 Sep 07 12:35am

forno

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#23 Tue 11 Sep 07 11:20pm

forno

kiss

Likes (0)

#24 Wed 12 Sep 07 10:30am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

We may have misjudged you, forno - but posts consisting of repeated recommendations for a particular website are naturally looke on with suspicion.

Likes (0)

#25 Wed 12 Sep 07 2:47pm

forno

Fair play Geoff

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 12 Sep 07 11:53pm

forno

I love to cook a leg of lamb in my wood oven, I prepare it by making holes in it with a knife about 20 mm deep and 30mm apart, then put shreads of garlick anchovie and rosmary in the holes rub generously with good extra vergin olive oil( the chiefs say use cheep olive oil for cooking but only the first cold press has no chemicals ) Then put in your wood oven covered with foil . oven floor tempriture of 250c and an air tempriture of 450c ( if you have the floor tempriture will get the air temp in a parabolic wood oven) for about an hour, remove foil and brown for around 5 mins, keep an eye on the meat as these ovens are fierce and will burn your food fast . take out and rest for 30 mins then enjoy the best food you have ever tasted.

Likes (0)

#27 Thu 13 Sep 07 1:35pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

There is what looks like an excellent free leaflet on building your own brick pizza oven very cheaply at:-

http://cnci.org.za/inf/leaflets_html/pizza.html

Also PDF version available at:-

http://cnci.org.za/diy.htm

Likes (0)

#28 Thu 13 Sep 07 4:20pm

digglez

Member since Thu 06 Sep 07

Thanks GeoffP hadn't seen that one... there's also an alternative method at:
http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites … build.html

Likes (0)

#29 Thu 13 Sep 07 4:55pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

That's a realy good leaflet Geoff  thumbsup It will be still fairly expensive to make an oven, but far cheaper than the £999 that was mentioned in the first post.

I seem to remenber  a small oven being made on a 'river cottage' program. Hugh F-W got a group of (I think non-cook's) to make a dome shape out of damp sand and then around it he got them to press clay ,that they had to get themselves ,from a local clay bedded stream. Once the clay was set, the sand was scooped out and a fire lit on the inside. fresh pizza was then cooked in the oven.
I was pretty impressed  neutral

Likes (0)

#30 Thu 13 Sep 07 9:05pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Yes Hugh F-W produced a very simple "adobe" oven - the URL for it is in the post above from Digglez.

A few years ago, the English Civil War Society held maneuvers in our garden (it was an enormous garden), and they built a Civil War pattern bread oven just from turf and a shaped cast iron box, which worked very effectively. I'll see if I can find the plans.

Last edited by GeoffP (Thu 13 Sep 07 9:05pm)

Likes (0)