Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Thu 27 Dec 07 1:50am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Your Kitchen...

We were fortunate in that the village had an enthusiastic local historian. Madame Colliore, whom we got to know - sadly she diedjast year. The local Marie has records going back to about 1600, detailing some changes.

We gained al lot of archeological evidence as we made changes, its amazng what can be deduced from cross sections cut through walls to enlarge doorways!

In the caves below, we can still trace the massive masonry of the defensive walls (some of the blocks are 7' long and 2' high). The house was originally 2 dwellings, with one of the caves used for animals (we cleared centuries of compacted manure down to bedrock from that one!).

Outside. the staircases leading to the blocked doors can still be fraced, and the original doorhead styles are still visible,giving a clue to dates.

The area itself has gone through many changes, from a pastoral sheep based economy, to a agrarian wheat growing area (we still have the bases of three windmills- Les Trois Tours (one of which has been restored as as a working mill), to the current vineyard economy. Each change has been marked by changes in the village structure and housing, which can all be traced in the layout and style of the buildings - I find it endlessly fascinating!

Likes (0)

#42 Thu 27 Dec 07 2:36am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I agree, it's quite facinating and more so when one can speak the language and communicate in French with the locals. I hear it's difficult or somewhat difficult to get building permits/ reno's and whatnot in France, does that have anything to do with some of the older housing that exists today or part of what used to exist? When one purchases a building/home or land does it come with any historical blueprints?

Likes (0)

#43 Thu 27 Dec 07 7:46pm

greenkitchen

Occupation Radio
From Sugar Land, Texas USA
Member since Sun 25 Nov 07

Geoff how lovely to have 2 kitchens!  big_smile

My kitchen is open to the living area and the garden.  When you walk in the front door you step right into the living area where we have 18 ft vaulted ceilings, a fireplace and big picture windows overlooking the back garden.  The walls are a dramatic cocoa color which works well because the room is saturated with light. 

The kitchen is an extention of the living area and has pumpkin walls a light cream colored tile floor, oak vaneer countertops, cream colored cabinets, an island and black & brushed steel appliances.  My next step (we just moved in in September) is to refinish and stain the cabinets.  I'm hoping when I get the paint off the wood will be nice so I can stain them a darker color to better compliment the walls.  Our dining table is a dark walnut so I'm thinking cabinets a little lighter than that but working with the black appliances.  I also want to change the countertops and right now I'm thinking one big piece of granite, cut to size.

We like mid century modern design, especially the time from 1957 -1963 so we tend to pick pieces that nod to that era.  I was tempted to paint the kitchen avocado green, a big color from that time, but ended up going with the pumpkin.

I can open a sliding glass door so half my outside kitchen wall is open to the garden.  We've been eating outside a lot because this is the nice time of year in the Houston area (Sugar Land is just outside Houston).  I have hebs growing right outside the door and have been preparing the garden for spring planting.  I want to start with tomatos, peppers, onions, carrots, raddish and garlic.

I'm fortunate to have a great space with excellent appliances, pots, pans and kitchen tools.  The only thing I'm lacking is a Kitchen Aid stand mixer in some exotic color!  Maybe I'll get lucky for my birthday... crossed

Likes (0)

#44 Thu 27 Dec 07 10:27pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Building permits in France (in small villages anyway) depend rather a lot on good relations with the Mairie, and showing hou are "sympa". I designed the terrace extension to fit in with the local style -infact, you can't tell it hasn't been there "forever". Interiors are easier - what matters mostis howw it looksfrom the outside.

But the mainthing is selling tge idea to M. or Mdm. le Maire -  and a few glaases of wine help smile. Once I'd done the drawings, I used Photoshop to produce picures "before and after" to demonstrate thzt it was in keeping, znd the applictions went through on the nod after we invited the council for a meal to inspect the plans.

Likes (0)

#45 Thu 20 Dec 12 11:58am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Sitoavetreava.  Can you please tell us in what connection your posting has on this site?  I'm at a loss to know.  Thanks.

Likes (0)

#46 Mon 24 Dec 12 6:43pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Aww...thinking of you two...here's  to you!

Likes (0)

#47 Mon 24 Dec 12 7:28pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

I'm sure there will be a "Moderator" to sort this thread out...

Likes (0)

#48 Mon 24 Dec 12 7:41pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

wine~o wrote:

I'm sure there will be a "Moderator" to sort this thread out...

Why sort the thread wine et o hmm

Likes (0)

#49 Mon 24 Dec 12 7:53pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

2007/2012.. there was something going on...
Spammer turned up, banned, post removed but not before an  interjection...that sort of thing Kye...

Edit again...Sitoavetreava would have been the spammer....

Last edited by wine~o (Mon 24 Dec 12 8:05pm)

Likes (0)

#50 Mon 24 Dec 12 8:29pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

smile Happy Christmas wine et o.

Likes (0)