forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 27 Sep 07 3:59pm

foodietype

Member since Wed 26 Sep 07

Teaching adults and families how to cook

I'm a former dietitian who has just left the NHS .  I would like to start my own business teaching people how to cook healthy and tasty food.  Many of the people that I saw in my general outpatient clinics lacked basic cooking skills and nutritional knowledge.   There seems to be no provision locally for teaching adults about food and nutrition and I'm sure that there is plenty of interest in the community.

I have no formal cookery or catering training - simply a passion for food and lots of good ideas for ways of  getting other people enthused and interested in making their own food -  rather than subsisting on junk (which so many people seem to do).

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I should go about getting some sort of teaching qualification that might help me to teach cookery (with nutrition)? Also, does anyone know how I can find out about the food hygiene and health and safety regulations that apply.

Thanks for your help.

Sarah

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 30 Sep 07 3:07pm

alice@thepalace

Member since Sun 30 Sep 07

Re: Teaching adults and families how to cook

i dunno, but when u find out let us know. i could use some help getting motivated, i am a lousy cook (thats the main problem),  but like you i have a passion for food and the kitchen.  i have a sound sense of good nutrition, but nothing tastes good when i cook  help

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 12 Oct 07 2:42pm

Cleary

Occupation Chef
From Beccles
Member since Fri 12 Oct 07

I wouldn’t of thought you need a qualification having said that I am not 100% but I am sure since you have the nutritional side already under your belt you could quite easily start doing shows and home teaching ect showing people how easy it is to cook a simple meal in very little time with benefits of it being fresh, tasty and nutritious

As far as health and hygiene goes look it up at your local college. Courses run all the time and you only need a basic hygiene certificate to be allowed in a kitchen ect, same goes for health and safety! You will almost with out question need to be a qualified first aider but I am sure you are already! Ben x

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 12 Oct 07 5:49pm

itsmarie

Forum champ
Occupation Experimental learning
From Surrey UK
Member since Sat 18 Aug 07

I dont know where you live but my local authority runs free family cookery classes (sutton surrey) its run by scola and its for all ages, but you could always ring your local council and see if any colleges runs these type of courses, it might be a good place to start. Good luck.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 12 Oct 07 8:36pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

The community centre at my previous parish has run a cooking course for over 20 years. I have to own up that I started it, and taught on it for the first 5 years or so (entirely without qualifications, and, of course without remuneration).

Many Community Centres run such courses - and those which don't may well be persuadable. However, be warned - you won't make a living out of it. Those who need such courses can't afford them - those who can afford to pay don't need the courses.

Colleges which run courses are constrained to run them on a vocational basis - for those who might get a job in catering.

I'm afraid I have seen many proposals for "social enterprises" teaching cookery or running community cafes - what I haven't seen are any which have succeeded in the long term - or even the medium term.

The cooking courses continues, along with the food co-op, and the "cosy corner cafe" - but on a "not for profit" basis, with volunteers rather than paid staff.

So - go for it - but don't expect to make a living - the rewards lie in knowing you are doing the right thing.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 25 Oct 07 12:44am

foodietype

Member since Wed 26 Sep 07

Thanks for your encouragement.

The sort of thing I had in mind was a 'not for profit' social enterprise-type thing.  I am convinced that teaching people about healthy - and tasty -  eating and cooking is the only way to defeat the problem of obesity.   

There is a need for food and nutrition-related education 'across the board' really.
help
So, Jamie, if you're reading this, what about enrouraging and promoting a national community, cooking and nutrition initiative?  If anyone can achieve support (and funding) for this, you can!

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 15 Nov 07 4:15pm

furneem1

Member since Thu 15 Nov 07

Hi Foodietype

What you want to do is exactly what I do! And I have to agree, you can't make a real living out of it but its the best thing I've ever done!

We rely heavily on funding from anywhere and everywhere but we're getting snapped up left right and centre. I think if you have the passion for it it won't be the end of the world that you won't be making your millions out of it.

We've been running our social enterprise officially since June this year and we now work all over the Fenland area in toddler groups (very messy but great fun!), out of school clubs and now some of the schools are also bringing us in within the school day to work with the kids. Its going down a storm!

Its also working well that we're empowering other parents to get involved and set up groups, run after school clubs and generally helping us out. Its really hard work but so enjoyable!

If you want any info then please let me know. I'm not an expert but I'm more than happy to help.

I've done an adult teaching certificate (city and guilds) and also the health and hygiene course plus a few extras!

Good luck with it all!

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 15 Nov 07 6:54pm

itsmarie

Forum champ
Occupation Experimental learning
From Surrey UK
Member since Sat 18 Aug 07

Furneem1,

Sounds very interesting, would love to do something like this at my sons school, could you possibly email me please with further info.

Thanks

Marie

Last edited by itsmarie (Thu 15 Nov 07 8:23pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 26 May 08 4:26pm

Gunji

Member since Mon 26 May 08

foodietype

did you have any luck with you enterprise?

let me know please as might be able to help.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 22 Feb 10 6:20pm

actionkim84

Member since Mon 22 Feb 10

Hi Sarah,

I hope that you were successful in your venture, it seems there are many people out there who are keen to follow in your footsteps - including myself! I am a trained journalist but retraining in food technology and am keen to teach but more at the adult end.

If you have any information about your enterprise please do let me know. I'm now based in Malvern (Worcester area, West Midlands) and am not looking to start my own business but to get involved as a teacher within an established company/organisation, and would love any pointers about where to get started.

Best wishes,

Kim

Likes (0)