forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 31 Oct 07 2:57am

farnation

Occupation NOC Tech
From Vilonia Arkansas
Member since Sun 29 Jul 07

help with a swede (aka rudabaga)

does anyone out there know what i can do with this thing I picked it on and really have no clue what to do with it. Its seems to be covered with wax. how does that come off? thanks for any help I am really clueless on this one.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 31 Oct 07 3:52am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: help with a swede (aka rudabaga)

Pureed Swede With Cheesy Crust 

Ingredients

1 swede - medium
1 oz butter / margarine
A pinch of salt (to taste)
Handful of fresh herbs (optional), e.g. thyme, parsley
2 oz strongly flavoured hard cheese, such as mature Cheddar
1 level tablespoon sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds

Method
Pre-heat the oven to 200 C.

Peel the swede with a potato peeler. Chop into chunks about 1 inch in size.

Boil in a large pan of water for 15 - 20 minutes, until soft.

Chop the herbs, if using.

Drain the swede and mash it with the butter, using a potato masher. Add the herbs and season with salt, if needed.

Put the mashed swede in an oven-proof dish and sprinkle the top with the cheese. Then sprinkle the seeds on top.

Bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling.

Great with jacket potatoes or as a side dish for a winter meal. 

Swede & Parsnip Soup 

Ingredients

1 swede
2 parsnips
2-3 medium carrots
1 litre vegetable stock
1 onion 

Method
Peel the swede with a potato peeler. Chop it into 1/2 in cubes.

Scrub the carrots and chop.

Peel the onion and chop.

Scrub the parsnip and chop.

Bring the stock to the boil and add the vegetables. Simmer for 20 minutes until the swede chunks are soft.

Add any herbs and spices of your choice.

Liquidise (if desired) and serve with crusty bread.

For a more filling version, top each bowl with about 30g grated hard cheese (such as Cheddar) and some toasted seeds and nuts.

CASSEROLE OF SWEDE

800 g Swede
4 medium onions
2 carrots
2 tbsp butter
150 g mushrooms
100 ml water
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp mint
1 tsp parsley, finely chopped

Peel the Swede and cut into large cubes. Slice the carrots. Sauté these in half of the butter. Add the salt and the water and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Slice the mushrooms and onions. Sauté them separately in the remaining butter for 2-3 minutes then add the Swede and carrot mixture. Add the pepper and mint and let it cook over low heat for a few minutes. Serve immediately, sprinkled with parsley.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 31 Oct 07 5:58am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Never heard of a swede being waxed - are you sure?

They often come shrink wrapped in clear plastic.

However its packed, you will need to peel it. I find the easiest way to peel is to use a cooks knife. On a chopping board, cut swede in half, lay the ct side down on the board, then peel downwards as thinly as you can, following the curve of the swede.

Once peeled, chop into appropriare sized pieces for recipe.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 31 Oct 07 2:13pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 31 Oct 07 3:47pm

farnation

Occupation NOC Tech
From Vilonia Arkansas
Member since Sun 29 Jul 07

looks very similar to that maybe mine is a bit under ripe as not as dark at the top but ya thats it its a "rudabaga" here in the US. its for sure covered in wax and rather thick at that i will try and post a pic on the blogs and post a link as i am not all that great at veg identifcation. i really bought it because of the strange name.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 31 Oct 07 6:18pm

henning

Occupation Management
From N E Scotland
Member since Wed 15 Aug 07

I must say I am very surprised too as I never encountered wax on them. Is that natural wax or applied wax?

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 16 Nov 07 4:33pm

Jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

Swede is a classic, classic, English vege, no one usually knows what to do with it… The 2 things tat I do with it that I rate are – peel it with a knife carefully, chop it up carefully in half and then in half again and into inch squared chunks, put that in a pan of boiling salted water and boil it for about 20 minutes at least because it is a pretty hard old root vege. As soon as you can out a knife through it, drain it in a colander, get rid of the water, put the Swede back in the pan that you cooked it in with a big knob of butter, a pinch of salt and pepper and just a few gratings of orange zest on a fine side of a grater in there and that is delicious. If you wanted to take this on a step you can do half carrot and half Swede, carrots and Swede work really well together, they are like best mates and you will also get great colour and you can smash it up as well. If you wanted to take the recipe onto another step you could add a tiny bit of cream and a tiny little Parmesan, and I quite like it crudely smashed…. Another recipe that you can do is to peel it like I said earlier and instead of cutting it into inch dice cut it into centimetre dice about 1 and a half centimetres and get yourself a wide casserole type pan, get yourself some lard one and some little olive oil in a pan and a couple of cloves of garlic. Fry off the lardons until they are lightly golden, Rosemerry leaves, and then add the diced Swede, jiggle it all about in the lovely flavours and then put some water in and put a lid on top, cook that for about 20 minutes again on a medium low heat, make sure that you do not burn anything, if it runs out of water just top it up, you don’t want to boiling just lightly steaming, and then when you can put a knife through it, take the lid off, let the water evaporate away and just keep turning the Swede over giving it some TLC so that you get a little bit of colour all over the Swede, then you will beau

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 16 Nov 07 4:36pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Mmm - that sounds delicious  yummy   Might even be able to convert my family to eating swede one of these days ....

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 19 Nov 07 10:04pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

yep rutabaga is sold waxed here in Canada too.  Waxed it will keep perfectly for up to 3 months in a cool dry place or refridgerator.
I like it just boiled and mashed but my favourite is in Jiggs dinner.. It is a newfoundland/Eastcoast type of boiled dinner.  Cut up parsnips ,cabbage,rutabaga/swede, potatoes,carrot, boiled in a big pot with salted Naval Beef.  Yummy stuff.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#10 Tue 20 Nov 07 1:51am

lagooney

Member since Tue 20 Nov 07

My mom always puts diced rutabaga in her homemade vegetable beef soup, and it's really good.  I slice it into bite sized pieces, and eat it raw, sometimes with an onion dip.  It is also good dipped in Italian dressing.  Peel the wax and skin off first.  My girls (ages 9 and 10) love it any way it is served.  We especially love carrot and swede mash, although mine is never as good as what we had in the UK.

Last edited by lagooney (Tue 20 Nov 07 1:53am)

Likes (0)