forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 06 Nov 07 6:59am

Sammy SA

Occupation Loving being a Mom!!
From St Francis Bay, South Africa
Member since Sat 25 Nov 06

Silicone bake ware?

Sorry if I sound stupid, but I need to know, can you use this bake ware in a gas oven?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 06 Nov 07 8:46am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Silicone bake ware?

Hi Sammy

Yes, you can use silicone bakeware in a gas oven.  Just make sure that you stand it on a baking sheet (for stability, nothing else), and use as normal bakeware  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 06 Nov 07 1:55pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Agreed. Have an electric oven, not a gas. Have just re-read the instructions and they are fine up to 240C.

It's on the instructions (of mine) but Olivia makes a good point. Stand it on a baking sheet before you put it in the oven only because they are a bit "flippy floppy" in comparison to metal-ware. The metal sheet (no need to preheat) minimises the risk of spillage when putting in, pulling out.

Happy baking:)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#4 Wed 07 Nov 07 6:39pm

frillylizard

Occupation head inmate
From Canada, eh?
Member since Sat 20 Oct 07

I bought a bunch of silcone jamie pans (came in brown) and kitchenaid ones (blue and red) I HATE it. Yes stuff turns out nicely without sticking but it is too darn floppy

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 07 Nov 07 7:32pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I am not a particular fan of them either. For the same reason. Have a loaf pan (can't say "tin" can I?) and the long sides are never straight after baking. The loaf is never rectangular. Went back to metal.

But I loved my baking sheet cover (until husband cut pizza ON it........)

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 07 Nov 07 9:26pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I have a flat tray liner fron Kitchenaid and some muffin pans that were from Ikea ... I don't realy like the stuff very much , however the flat tray liner does have its uses..... My daughter tends to use it when she has her mega biscuit making sessions.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 08 Nov 07 9:11am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Susanne, it could be "tin" but it would be old, your cake "tins" are probably steel or aluminium rather than tin.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 08 Nov 07 9:15am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I know, but for metal saying "baking tin" still feels less odd than calling a wobbly rubber (silicone) thing "baking tin"... whistle  whistle

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 08 Nov 07 10:37am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I have a square baking "tray" in silicone, and want to get some more as they're so easy to clean properly!  I must confess to preferring to use the more traditional baking tins, but currently I operate 2 baking cupboards so that I don't cross-contaminate any foods - with the silicone tray I can just turn it completely inside out and reach all the corners  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 09 Nov 07 11:37am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Good idea olivia.

I just had a major gluten contamination, not sure where from but i've had to break out the hard core pain killers. It still hurts but i feel better.

Likes (0)