forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 18 Nov 07 9:34pm

hotcookies27

Member since Thu 15 Nov 07

jamies nans christmas pud

does anyone have the recipie for jamies nans christmas pudding it was in the delicious magasine a couple of years ago and i cant find my copy!!! its the best christmas pudding ever!!! please help .....

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 18 Nov 07 10:35pm

itsmarie

Forum champ
Occupation Experimental learning
From Surrey UK
Member since Sat 18 Aug 07

Re: jamies nans christmas pud

Nans christmas pudding

1 teaspoon softened butter, for greasing
1 large egg
150ml of milk
400g dried sultanas and raisins
100g dried cherries and cranberries
125g suet or butter
125g plain flour
125g golden caster sugar
125g breadcrumbs
125 dates,chopped up
2 tablespoons of brandy
a pinch of salt
zest of 1 orange
3 pieces stem ginger, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Firstly rub 1.5 litre pudding bowl with butter.
In a seperate bowl beat the egg and milk together and put to one side.
In a third bowl mix all the other ingredients together.
Pour the egg and milk mixture into this bowl and stir or mix with your hands untill everything is combined.
Spoon this mixture into the greased pudding bowl and cover with a layer of buttered grease proof paper followed by a double layer of aluminium foil.
Tie these layers in place around the rim of the bowl using a piece of string.
place the pudding bowl in a large saucespon and put cold water in the pan untill it comes half way up the side of the bowl.
Bring the water to the boil then cover with a lid and simmer for 3 hours.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Dont forget to check the water regularly making sure that it doesnt boil dry or the pan will burn and the bowl will crack.
When serving the pudding simply remove the cloth or the foil and turn it out on a plate.
Serve with brandy butter or a nice thick custard.

Last edited by itsmarie (Sun 18 Nov 07 10:36pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 19 Nov 07 1:55am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I have never made this before but is this something you make very near Christmas or can it be made ahead like Christmas cake? And just before serving are you supposed to pour brandy or rhum on it and light it on fire?? Sorry, I have no clue really, well, about a lot of things but was hoping someone would "clue" me in, haha!

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 19 Nov 07 4:49am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Traditionally, Christms Pudfing ismade on "Stir Up Sunday! - which happens to benext Sunday - 25th November.

Stir Up Sunday is so called because the Collect (short prayer for the day):- is "Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen".

It's the Last Sunday before Advent, and on that Sunday families stirred the Christmas pud, traditionally with every member of the family giving at least one stir to the mixture with a wooden spoon.

We still observe that tradition - even though the kids have long since left home. Our re ipe is very similar to Jamie's nans, except that there are no cranberries, and we spike the pud with a couple of tablespoons of rum every week until Christmas smile

Last edited by GeoffP (Mon 19 Nov 07 4:51am)

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 19 Nov 07 8:08am

itsmarie

Forum champ
From Surrey UK

I have just checked the recipe again but it does not say, i usually make it on christmas eve.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 19 Nov 07 10:11am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Real Christmas puddings need time to mature and for the flavour to develop. Some people make them a year in advance - I've done this occasionally, and it was even better.

I am sure Jamie's Nan would follow tradition, and Jamie would probably not even mention it, as it is suchcommon knowledge.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 19 Nov 07 10:16am

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

According to the Roux brothers (Albert and Michelle), a Christmas pudding is at its best if left for two years.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 19 Nov 07 11:06am

itsmarie

Forum champ
From Surrey UK

Well excuse my ignorance, you learn something new everyday, how do you store it and where?

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 19 Nov 07 11:08am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Traditional recipes date back to a time without refrigerators. So people did start their prep for Christmas weeks before. Pudding, gingerbread, cookies, smoked things (hams, fish etc), stollen etc. keep very well - and the way the recipes are set up really do improve if stored right (usually dark and pantry/cellar cool)

wink

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 19 Nov 07 5:18pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Thank you, for everyones input. I will give it a try.

Likes (0)