forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 27 Nov 07 11:20am

Mr B

Occupation Estate agent
From SW Turkey
Member since Wed 20 Dec 06

Potato, cheese and Onion pie please

Does anybody have a simple recipe for Potato, Cheese and Onion pie?

I live in Turkey so i can't get double cream or lard.

Many thanks

Russ

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 27 Nov 07 11:36am

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Re: Potato, cheese and Onion pie please

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 27 Nov 07 2:10pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

In most pie recipes you can very well exchange butter or vegetable shortening for the lard. Instead of double cream I almost always use "normal" cream as I noticed that English double cream is by far not as thick as ours....

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 29 Nov 07 7:13am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

cheddar cheese and onion pie
Ingredients
For pastry dough
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
8 to 10 tablespoons ice water
For filling and glaze
1 medium boiling potato (5 oz)
2 cups finely chopped onion (1 large)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
9 oz good-quality white Cheddar, coarsely grated (2 1/2 cups)

Preparation
Make dough:
Blend together flour, butter, and salt in a bowl with your fingertips or a pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor) just until most of mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps.
Drizzle evenly with 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) ice water and gently stir with a fork (or pulse in processor) until incorporated.

Squeeze a small handful: If it doesn't hold together, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring (or pulsing) until incorporated, then test again. (Do not overwork mixture, or pastry will be tough.)

Turn out mixture onto a work surface and divide into 6 portions. With heel of your hand, smear each portion once or twice in a forward motion to help distribute butter. Gather dough together with scraper and press into 2 balls, one slightly bigger than the other, then flatten into disks. Chill each disk, wrapped in plastic wrap, until firm, at least 1 hour.

Make filling and glaze while dough chills:
Peel potato and cut into 1/4-inch dice (3/4 cup). Steam potato in a steamer set over boiling water, covered, until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.

Cook onion in butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to plate to cool.

Whisk together 2 eggs, cream, thyme, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until combined well. Stir in potato, onion, and cheese.

Whisk remaining egg in a small bowl and reserve for egg glaze.

Assemble and bake pie:
Put oven rack in middle position and put a large baking sheet on it, then preheat oven to 425°F.

Roll out larger piece of dough into a 13-inch round on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin and fit into tart pan. Spoon filling evenly into pie shell and brush some of egg glaze on rim of shell.

Roll out smaller piece of dough into a 12-inch round in same manner, then cover pie with it. Trim edges of pie, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, then press edges together and crimp decoratively.

Brush top of pie lightly with some of remaining egg glaze. Cut several steam vents in top crust with a small sharp knife.

Bake pie on hot baking sheet until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on a rack at least 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 14 Nov 10 2:49am

hillyrob

Member since Mon 31 May 10

Hi
Thamks for the recipe it was something I also needed.  I live in South Korea, and I can't get lard or cream.  Out here they don't have cream in the supermarkets only very expensive organic imported stores, and it's too expensive for my pocket.  Can  use something else for the filling instead of cream?  Maybe a mixture of yoghurt and milk?  What do you think?

Thanks Hilary x

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 14 Nov 10 1:14pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum Mr B and hillyrob  smile

I make 2 types of cheese and potato pie ,

simple cheese and potato pie.

Potato
Butter
Grated cheese , usually cheddar
seasoning , salt and pepper and I often add a bit of mustard as well.
Milk
optional tomatoes

Very easy... Boil the potatoes till cooked, strain them and whilst hot ,mash them with a little milk and butter to taste.Mix in grated cheese, basically enough to get it to suit your particular taste , season it to taste.
Put the mixture into a buttered oven proof dish and scatter the top with some grated cheese, add slices of tomato if you wish then pop into the oven to brown.

Sorry off to watch the grand prix now !
Will add the other recipe later which has a 'pastry case'

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 14 Nov 10 6:08pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Here in Friuli there is a wonderful dish called "frico" made with fresh cheese and seasoned one cut into little pieces and added to boiled sliced potatoes and slowly cooked sliced onion. You mix them and put into an iron skillet turning the frico upside down with a lid like a frittata many times, until the surface is golden and crisp and the inside still soft ................... it goes well eaten with a slice of hot polenta

enjoy and good luck big_smile

Last edited by madamada (Sun 14 Nov 10 6:10pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 14 Nov 10 8:13pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

My favorite Cheese and potato pie.

Pastry... I use a shortcrust pastry.for both lining the dish and the top of the pie.
For this I use plain flour and ratio of half fat to flour.
The fat that I use is a mix of butter and solid vegetable fat as I find that this will give a lovely soft textured pastry.

Potatoes... a floury type potato is best ...peeled , chopped into chunks and boiled till almost cooked and strained well.( you don't want them very wet )
let them cool just a little before you assemble the pie.

Cheese... a good flavored cheese , chopped into cubes.Don't skimp on the cheese !

Onions...peeled, sliced and cooked fairly gently with a little oil till they are caramelizing and become  brown , this removes the harsh onion taste and brings out the natural sweetness of the onions.

I have not added quantities as it very much depends on how many you want the pie to serve.What size the pie dish is etc etc.
There should be enough potatoes to fill the dish to a generous amount and pile up a bit on the top !

TO ASSEMBLE....
Roll out 2/3 of the pastry , (remembering that you need about 1/3 for the top of the pie ).
Line the pie dish , a dish that is not too deep , a little deeper than a quiche/flan dish is best but a quiche/flan dish would be fine.

Into the lined dish put some of the freshly boiled potatoes , scatter over some chunks of cheese and caramelized onions and repeat the pie dish is well filled.

Roll out the remaining 1/3rd of pastry for the pie lid.
Brush around the raw pastry edges of the filled pie with a little water and place over the pastry lid.
Press down the edges and crimp and trim as you wish.

Pierce a small hole in the top of the pie and if you fancy you can decorate up the top with the pastry trimmings !

Brush over the top of the pie with a little beaten egg or a little milk  and pop the pie in the oven until the pastry is cooked.

You can see if it has cooked as it has shrunken away from the sides of the dish and has become a good colour.
Remember that the pastry underneath the pie also needs to be cooked so don't rush the cooking !

Oven temperature... I have a fan oven and I usually cook the pie on 170 degrees ( a medium hot oven ).

This is my favorite cheese and potato pie. It is lovely served , hot warm of cold.
Its good for a picnic or a mid week supper.
I often serve it with salad .

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 14 Nov 10 8:26pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Never had a potato and cheese pie.  These all sound so good. yummy

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 15 Nov 10 1:18am