forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Thu 31 Jan 08 7:58am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: THE gluten-free thread

I made a nice discovery the other day, not only is the patak's brand butter chicken (tamarind one) sauce (yes, I know about geoff's thread but sometimes you just want to replicate the food court indian place's flavour) is both gluten free and the nicest of the bottled sauces I've tried. http://www.pataks.co.uk/gda/packaging.php

Likes (0)

#52 Tue 05 Feb 08 7:58am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Another gluten thread on the forums
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 80#p241380

Likes (0)

#53 Fri 08 Feb 08 3:12pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Just a silly observation.  My daughter was in for her 6-monthly check at the hospital, and the Consultant mentioned her orange allergy - he was interested, he said, as oranges share a protein with gluten, meaning that people with coeliac disease or a gluten intolerance often have problems with orange, and should be wary of the amount they consume.  Strangely, no other citrus fruits have this effect .....

Thought this was interesting and potentially helpful to someone  smile   I was interested as both my husband and my daughter have issues with gluten and orange ...

Likes (0)

#54 Fri 08 Feb 08 4:51pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

Hi Olivia

I too have to be very careful when eating oranges or drinking orange juice if I OD then its 3 days or so before I am back to norm. Never assoisated it with anything. So now I know why

Thanks

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#55 Sun 10 Feb 08 4:34am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

I've not come across that before. Oranges do have salicylates in them that people who are salicylate sensitive have trouble with (if they have too much). I've not read about that association on any of the coeliac websites and I haven't found any of the
http://www.coeliac.org/other/TextOnly/? … FontSize=4
It's possibly frutose malabsorption?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption

Likes (0)

#56 Sun 10 Feb 08 10:58am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I'm not sure exactly, but the consultant was very specific in saying that they share a protein, and that coeliac/gluten intolerance are very closely linked.  I know the original research was carried out in Edinburgh a number of years ago, but more than that I couldn't confirm.

Likes (0)

#57 Sun 10 Feb 08 12:08pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Coeliac is a problem with certain parts of gluten, I did have an article on it somewhere. Other grains, like corn, have similar structures but don't cause the problems - that was what that article was about, finding out why small changes in the molecular structure have no effect on coeliacs.

I did a quick search of some of the scientific/medical literature and nothing at all came up on oranges, it may yet be unpublished. Unfortunately I don't know any food scientists. Fructose malabsorption involves a lot of fruits and is mainly associated with irritable bowel and chronic fatigue syndromes but occurs in a small number of coeliacs - it tend to be lumped in with coeliacs because it's a small number of people.

Likes (0)

#58 Wed 13 Feb 08 1:49pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

Hi WR

I do have to follow a Salicylate/Azoate/Benzoate- Free Diet when I feel sluggish and I go on that strickly for 8 weeks when I do, its to do with my other problem Idiopathic Angioedema. 

cookinlovebird

Likes (0)

#59 Thu 14 Feb 08 1:28am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

I was tested for those. I'm only gluten impaired, as it were. I know a few people with salicylate issues, it's really annoying that one. Although I'm not sure what I'd prefer - my problem with pain at the smallest dust of flour near me or a threshold of other intolerances. I'm glad I don't have both, because eating as much as I like of everything else is my compensation for not being able to have any gluten and having to be ultra careful about contamination.

Likes (0)

#60 Fri 15 Feb 08 5:21am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

My coeliac friend cannot have

Barley
Rye
Oats
Wheat
Malt

Rabbit, more allergies turning up in the fam, my 9 month old nephew came out in spots last week, hospital says it is definately an allergy rash, thinking maybe egg, as the only new thing he ate was a couple of TOOBS (bit like cheezles) they are made with egg.

Likes (0)