forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#911 Wed 22 Feb 12 11:12am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: THE gluten-free thread

I've tried the basco brand "mac & cheese" style of pasta in a packet. It was ok; after years of eating gluten free the taste of flavourings etc really stands out for me, as well as the amount of salt. I'd have it again if I really needed something gf to take camping.

Let us know the donut brand!

Likes (0)

#912 Fri 02 Mar 12 3:06pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Hi Miss GF

I just saw your post mentioning doughnuts.  Last summer I had a number of tries at doughnuts, as it's tradtional to eat them here on May day.  Anyway, I finally came up with a good recipe, so I've posted it here

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/memb … hnuts/6546

Let us know if you try it.  Good luck thumbsup

Last edited by BritFinn (Wed 14 Mar 12 5:16pm)

Likes (0)

#913 Fri 02 Mar 12 3:48pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I've been enjoying DeBole's brand of brown rice and golden flax seed pasta.  They have a nice delicate texture and flavor, no cardboard notes at all and would work well with any sauce that goes well with dry pasta.

Likes (0)

#914 Tue 13 Mar 12 4:41pm

Gravy Queen

Occupation Being Fabulous
From Liverpool
Member since Sun 10 Oct 04

Do you know, now I'm 2 years down the line since being diagnosed as coeliac, I am constantly amazed at how my family and friends still don't get it!! I get offered sandwiches made with ordinary bread, and biscuits, or just not catered for at all sometimes. If I was vegetarian (a lifestyle CHOICE) I swear I would be better catered for.

Hey ho.  smile

Likes (0)

#915 Tue 13 Mar 12 9:49pm

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Oh Gravy Queen, that is shocking but I'm in a similar position. I don't have Coeliacs, I have Crohns and developed an allergy to gluten and dairy at the beginning of my diagnosis. Til this day, I still get asked if I want milk in my coffee or would I like biscuits....

My work held a bbq yesterday down in the workshop and the guys bought me a packet of gluten free bread so I was able to have a steak sandwich too. I couldn't believe! It was amazing and I am now looking at doing some baking to say thanks smile

I'll post the name of the donut mix shortly - I keep forgetting the name of the company so have to swing by IGA on the way to work wink

BritFinn - can't wait to try that recipe!!

Likes (0)

#916 Tue 13 Mar 12 9:52pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

I would think that with coeliac, you would not really want to risk someone else knowing what is safe for you, since some products have hidden gluten elements - sausage, etc.  Not that they shouldn't offer or ask what they can give you though!

Likes (0)

#917 Wed 14 Mar 12 7:00am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

MsP - I feel safe if i know that it is packged stuff. It's really hard to stuff that up smile

Finally got a chance to log on again - the name of the company that does the brilliant donuts is: Spice Garden Specialty Foods!!!! Comes in a lovely black and white box with a pic of a giant pink donut on the front. Very snazzy and the taste..... yummmm!!!

Likes (0)

#918 Wed 14 Mar 12 3:27pm

Gravy Queen

Occupation Being Fabulous
From Liverpool
Member since Sun 10 Oct 04

I really do expect to be catered for. I expect people to do what I do - ask and read labels if not sure. I helped with a party where we had a whole separate table for vegetarians - I didnt shop for the food I just helped lay it all out - but I thought hang on where's my stuff?  I just had to pick my way through what I knew wouldnt have gluten in (ie naturally gluten free foods). When I did mention this though someone said " is this a diet you are on?".

Err. No. sad

Likes (0)

#919 Wed 14 Mar 12 4:41pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Gravy Queen, it's terrible to be made to feel that way.  I would be concerned about cross-contamination at parties, but I guess you have managed to avoid it, I hope.  It would be so easy for someone to accidentally make that mistake without even realizing it.

Likes (0)

#920 Wed 14 Mar 12 5:15pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Oh Gravy Queen, it's terrible that you're being made to feel like this, especially as the UK supermakets carry such a big selection of GF stuff.

This has been my OH's biggest complaint.  Here it is normal to have a staff canteen, or to have lunch catered daily, normally with a small choice, of salad or a hot meal, and whilst it is heavily subsidised they are taxed on the perk.  Well he's always had lunch there, but the catering company has been so lazy, that he's been eating the same thing virtually every day, whilst the regular menu is considerably varied.  He has complained, but the attitude was that he was making a fuss.  Now he takes lunch with him, so he gets a variety. Also theyr tend to order in cakes, or treats for the staff on high days and holidays, but whoever does the ordering never thinks of him.  In fact here on Shrove Tuesday they eat a special cream bun, and when he said they hadn't catered for him the girl who ordered them said they can't make them!  Which made me so mad I made him some the next day!

But it doesn't have to be like this because my childrens school always caters for them, and makes sure that they don't miss out on anything!

Likes (0)