forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sun 18 Jan 09 10:55am

Kraemer

Member since Sun 18 Jan 09

Re: Chicken Potato Tomato Recipe

Hi! Can someone help with the recipe? What is the book called and what season is it? I have only seen the program once here in Denmark (last nigth) and itīs impossible to find the recipe! I can only remember chicken, potatoes and tomato!  smile

SparkleBell wrote:

Hi Everyone

I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a recipe that Jamie cooked on a show air in Austalia - Jamie at Home.

He did a dish where he pan fried the chicken thighs (as he said they have all the favour!) and then baked it slowly for about an hour and a half. He added potatoes and tomatoes and made some amazing marinade that you poured over the dish before baking.

I have made the dish and "Jamie, it was wonder in taste and easy. You really are a very cleaver and talented man". I have searched my house high and low, and can not find the recipe.... :-(

Could any one please help, I have two fussy little boys who loved the meal. One of the very few meals that the whole family can enjoy together.

Please, if someone could help it would be some very much appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,

Sparkle Bell

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 19 Jan 09 9:39am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Could it be something like this? :-

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/meat … h-tomatoes

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 19 Jan 09 9:59am

Kraemer

Hi! Thank you, itīs very similary the recipe on the telly. But Oliver made a kind of marinade in a shaker. But I canīt remember it all  smile If I only could see the program again!!! mrgreen

There were cooked potatoes in the recipe, and the tomatoes were shortly cooked (to remove the skin) with the potatoes.

Last edited by Kraemer (Mon 19 Jan 09 10:16am)

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 19 Jan 09 11:54am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Ah - got it!

Its on Page 189 of "Jamie at Home".

We are now allowed to post individual recipes from Jamie at Home, so here it is.

Crispy & sticky chicken thighs with squashed new potatoes & tomatoes

800g new potatoes, scrubbed
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
12 boned chicken thighs, skin on, preferably free-range or organic
olive oil
600g cherry tomatoes, different shapes and colours if you can find them
a bunch of fresh oregano, leaves picked
extra virgin olive oil
red wine vinegar

Put the potatoes into a large saucepan of salted boiling water and boil until cooked.

While the potatoes are cooking, preheat your oven to 200C/400F/gas 6. Cut each chicken thigh into three strips and place in a bowl. Rub the meat all over with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper, then toss. Heat a large frying pan, big enough to hold all the chicken pieces snugly in one layer, and put the chicken into the pan, skin side down. If you don't have a pan that's big enough, feel free to cook the chicken in two batches. Toss and fry over a high heat for 10 minutes or so, until almost cooked, then remove with a slotted spoon to an ovenproof pan of dish.

Prick the tomatoes with a sharp knife. Place them in a bowl cover with boiling water and leave for a minute of so. Drain and when cool enough to handle, pinch off their skins. You don't have to, but by doing this they will become lovely and sweet when cooked and their intense flavour will infuse the potatoes. By now the potatoes will be cooked. Drain them in a colander, then lightly crush them by pushing down on them with your thumb.

Bash up most of the oregano leaves with a pinch of salt in a pestle and mortar, or a flavour shaker if you have one. Add 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, a good splash of red wine vinegar and some pepper and give everything another bash. Add to the chicken with the potatoes, the tomatoes and the rest of the oregano leaves. Toss everything together carefully. Spread out in a single layer in an appropriately sized roasting tray, and bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven until golden.

As far as I recall, this is exactly how he did it on the show.

Last edited by GeoffP (Mon 19 Jan 09 11:57am)

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 19 Jan 09 12:50pm

Kraemer

Great  thumbsup I have to buy the book! I have seen here in Denmark, but I was not sure it was the right one! The dish looks great and I have to serve it for the family in the weekend! Thanks a lot.

PS! sorry for bad gramma and spelling!  big_smile

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 17 Apr 10 3:01am

Kashdans

Member since Sat 13 Mar 10

Hi, I've searched this recipe on Web and found at Foodnetwork site.
Search for crispy-and-sticky-chicken-thighs-with-squashed-new-potatoes-and-tomatoes-recipe.
Show: Jamie at Home (2008); Episode: Potatoes

Last edited by Kashdans (Sat 17 Apr 10 3:04am)

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 11 Oct 11 5:48pm

loaded

Member since Tue 11 Oct 11

This is a variation on a Greek dish, I think.  Basically boil a large pan of water and at the same time heat up a large frying or chef's pan with olive oil.  Season the skins of the chicken thighs, when the heat is right (when water spits when flicked on it on it, but not smoking) put the chicken thighs on skin down.  When the water is boiling, add the tomatoes whole to blanch them.  It is recommended to prick them near the base, or make a little cross on the larger ones.  Once boiling, leave them for 30-60 seconds, then use a slotted spoon to remove them and put them to one side.  The water will still be boiling (doesn't matter if there are tiny bits of Tomato floating in it!) and add the peeled potatoes to parboil them (half boiled, so about 10 minutes for larger potatoes, doesn't matter if they are slightly overdone).  The chicken thighs will be nicey frying, check the underside, if it is nice and brown, you can season them again (from the bottom) and then turn them over onto the raw (probably bloody by now) side.  The potatoes will probably be boiling now, so you have 5-10 minutes to remove the skins from the tomatoes (if you did it earlier, you will have peeled your fingers too!) and get rid of the skins (I don't have any use for them myself, others might) and chop them concasse (poncey French word for 'as they fall' basically follow no set size.  It is nice also to use various tomatoes, I use cherries, full size, even different colours.  By now the potatoes are probably done and the chicken should be taken off the heat.  Oh yeah, you should have pre heated the over to 200 (no fan) and have a nice big heavy square pan.  Drain the potatoes, pour 30ml (two tablespoons) of olive oil over them, some cracked pepper and sea salt and shake them in the pan (this is a Northern trick, this roughs up the surface to accept the oil) quite harshly.  Transfer the chicken thighs to the oven pan, placing potatoes and tomatoes in between, it is a good idea to have the whole pan covered, but not stacked up.  Pull some rosemary out of the garden and rinse it under cold water.  Shake off the excess, and draw your fingers against the grain to strip the leaves (I don't like the woody stem) and use your fingers to poke this into the soft gaps between the pieces.  I also take a half garlic bulb and insert cloves (fully wrapped in their skin) about as well.  When baked, these can be squeezed with the back of your fork and the roasted garlic juices flow out - lovely!  The whole thing needs baking about an hour, but it can take 20 minutes longer depending on how 'wet' your preparation was, or how your oven performs.  The tops will already be nice and brown, but the chicken will need to cook through and the potatoes will need to roast.  That is it, preparation is really quick and you re use water and if you follow the method I use, you are always doing something and not waiting around for something to boil, etc :-)

I use 12 thighs, 3lbs of potatoes and 1&1/2 pounds of tomatoes, but you can vary this wildly depending on taste.

Enjoy!

Paul.

Last edited by loaded (Fri 21 Oct 11 11:58am)

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 11 Oct 11 5:59pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

loaded wrote:

Drain the potatoes,....and shake them in the pan (this is a Northern trick ...this roughens up the surface to accept the oil)

Nah love, it's not a "Northern trick".....
it's done pretty much everywhere & for just about forever!

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 07 Jan 12 8:01pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Nasty croftjob.... you do not belong here.

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 08 Jan 12 4:42pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

chop them concasse (poncey French word for 'as they fall'

Concassé = Crushed. Whats poncey about either language? hmm

Likes (0)