Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 03 Jan 08 11:46am

AMANDAFAN

Member since Wed 02 Jan 08

Potatoe Rosti

Hi guys.

Does anyone has a fool proof recipe to make the perfect potatoe rosti, mine seem to be turning out to runny and are not holding together. If anyone has any tips or advice that would be great . thanks. yikes

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 03 Jan 08 1:26pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Potatoe Rosti

Use starchy (floury) potatoes. Once you have grated the potatoes, put them in a teatowel, and squeeze really well to get rid of as much water as possible. Put them in a fresh teatowel, and squeeze again.

Use plenty of butter in a heavy based frying pan. Do the rosti no more than 1" thick. Get the rosti really brown & crispy on the bottom before turning over

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 03 Jan 08 1:53pm

sabatman

Occupation www.jamiesabat.blogspot.com
From swindon,wiltshire
Member since Wed 31 Oct 07

I made one last weekend as a base for my venison. I turned out well i thought is wasn't going to hold but it did. I refridgerated mine for about 1 hour before i cooked them i also used 1 yolk to hold togehter. If you fancy a look at my recipe it's on www.jamiesabat.blogspot.com

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 03 Jan 08 4:25pm

olivariidea

Occupation global designer
From naples, Italy
Member since Tue 02 Oct 07

and if you put two slices of special italian speck on them and two eggs "a occhio di bue" it is the same way to cook the eggs and bacon, you can eat a very special rosti and eggs originary from Alto Adige Dolomyte. smile

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 03 Jan 08 4:41pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Hi AMANDAFAN, welcome -

I saw Delia Smith make Potato Rosti and instead of using raw potatoes she boiled them (a floury type) for about 10 minutes until the outsides were slightly soft but the insides still had a bite.  They were drained and left to cool.  She then grated them on the coarse side of the grater.

Why don't you try this method (adding the ingredients of your choice) and see how they turn out.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 03 Jan 08 5:24pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I have seen it grated and held together with a bit of cream too.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 03 Jan 08 10:05pm

Akilles

Member since Thu 03 Jan 08

Hi,

I use to make my rösti in the owen. I mix the potatoes in a foodprocessor and then fry it gently on the stove. Meanwhile the owen get warm.
I think I have control at the rösti this way.

Andreas

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 06 Jan 08 6:15pm

karetringula

From switzerland
Member since Tue 15 Nov 05

To succeed roasting the best,typical Bernese Rösti,use cooked potatoes,(cooked in steam or water) if possible use them one or two days after cooking(plan a rösti for one of the next day when you cook potatoes for another meal),remove the shell(?,sorry too lazy for searching for my dictionnaire roll ),grate them and roast in a frypan with lot of butter,don't stir at all and wait until one side is golden-brown crispy.try to turn with help of a big plate in one.If not possible,no problem, turn piece after piece.Now let get the other side crispy.Salt it not too much before of after frying.Serve on a big plate,try to let it slip in one from the pan in the plate, and it will look great! You don't need to get it sticky with cream or egg,only press a bit in the pan.
By the way: The farmers used to eat Rösti for breakfast here in Switzerland (in Kanton Bern,at least and some eat it still in this time)

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 06 Jan 08 8:10pm

ewest

From Brazil
Member since Mon 24 Dec 07

Greetings from Brazil!
I boil the potatoes for about 10 min (with the peel) and leave them in the fridge for about 10-12 h before grating them.  A bit of chopped bacon gives  a nice flavour, but you can always use butter or olive oil
Good luck! smile

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 07 Jan 08 2:02am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Oh, great ideas karetringula and ewest! Welcome by the way! The way I saw it held together with cream was when the potatoes were raw. I guess your way is similar in making hash browns too, only grated.  yummy

Likes (0)