forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#211 Thu 24 Jul 08 12:22am

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Re: Jamie's Fowl Dinners

Go on then.

Don't promise us an interesting debate and not deliver.

That's like sticking your arse through a letterbox and not delivering the goods!

1. No protein, no fat. Very bad for people who do a large amount of anaerobic exercise and for people who get few opportunities to eat during the day due to a hectic schedule.

2. That hole in the Ozone. It's there because there are greenhouse gasses. They're there because there are toxic emissions, they're there because there are not enough plants to counteract our polluting acts. That's the case because you veggies are eating all our plants!

3. Chickens don't get eaten. Chickens get killed

Quasi-realistic Disney version

3. Chickens saved nightmare of being consumed. Chickens get released. Chickens die because they can't fend for themselves.

Likes (0)

#212 Thu 24 Jul 08 2:13am

paint-it-pink

Member since Wed 16 Jul 08

Hi frizz and all.
Our pigs name was 'Dinner'.
I am quite amazed at how good the meat from Dinner tastes. Much better than meat from the supermarket. My hubby made up one of his 'throw in a bit of everything from the pantry' marinades and the ribs were amazing.

I think that the barn set up is only marginally better than the cage set up for chickens. I think chooks, pigs etc should feel the sun and the wind and be able to enjoy a bit of 'personal space'. Thank goodness cows are out in the paddock. I'm amazed we don't have them locked up too!

I do feel troubled that all those baby boy chicks have to be gased. But I was glad to see that they were not just thrown out, but went to zoos and for pet food. I think its just that they are so cute! I would care nearly so much if it was snails or crickets.

Likes (0)

#213 Thu 24 Jul 08 3:00am

goodlife

From Australia
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

We have just seen "Jamie's Fowl Dinners" here in Oz. It screened for the first time last night. As a chicken owner I was not really surprised with any of the info because that is why we raise our own chooks who lay good eggs. Hopefully less informed Aussies will have a wake-up call and protect chooks' wellfare with their buying habits.

Likes (0)

#214 Thu 24 Jul 08 4:46am

Alison Devine

Member since Thu 24 Jul 08

I am Australian and I saw this show for the first time last night on TV.

I have to say, I was absolutely filled with admiration for Jamie for bringing these issues to the forefront in such an honest and frank way.

I am certain this show would have prompted many, many people to think twice about selecting chickens and eggs from the supermarket shelves. And that, as far as I'm concerned, is a giant leap for the welfare of farmed chickens! Well done!

I hope someone from the show reads this message and passes on my thanks to you Jamie because you spoke on behalf of chickens everywhere who are suffering as I write this.

I cried a LOT during this show, but I smiled widely at the end when you took those 150 chickens and released them on to your property. How wonderful you are Jamie :-)

Likes (0)

#215 Fri 25 Jul 08 10:32pm

freezing

Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

WOW!!! I am amazed at how all the meat eaters get so pent up and advocate pure violence.  You all obviously think that these animals deserve to die because your hungry and too lazy to think about what's going inside your body.
Would you eat your pet??
Why not?
Oh...you love it!
Still, not one of you would have the stomach to slaughter and eat an animal (raw?? oh that's ridiculous).

Likes (0)

#216 Sat 26 Jul 08 2:42am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Freezing... looking for an argument? That was a very agressive post.

Now that you have made your assumption about us, I will make one about you.

Im betting you were one THOSE people who were horrified when Jamie slaughtered a lamb in Jamies Italy?

I think it is important to have a go, as a meat eater, even if it is just once... you should know what you are eating.

I grew up with a Dad who shoots, so have been killing meat all my life...  in fact I miss it now that Dad is too frail to ramble the bush with me.

I do however think it odd that there are people in the world who only ever get meat from a supermarket & then are squirmish about where it comes from.

I dont eat cats or dogs, thats not part of my cultural upbringing, but I do eat chicken & I have them as pets... so far only for egg laying, but eventually I might slaughter my own.

What has raw got to do with it? Dont you use fire/heat to cook your vegetables?

But then as a self righteous veggo you might not know that people do eat raw meat & fish in many cultures of the world.

You have the right to be a veggo, that is your personal business, but what is NOT your business is telling me what I can feed myself & my family.

Likes (0)

#217 Sat 26 Jul 08 11:14am

tony177

Member since Sat 26 Jul 08

What absolute garbage has been propounded by some of the Animal Rights organisations, in berating Jamie Oliver for killing chicks and a hen on his television programme.

I was one of four people who founded Animal Liberation in my state of New South Wales, Australia, some 30 years ago. In general we concentrated on outlawing Intensive Farming techniques, and in particular on vastly improving the lot of the Battery Hen. We underwent much ridicule in those days, particularly from other Liberation movements such as Women’s Liberation.

Those are my Animal Welfare credentials and credible credentials I think they are.

Having said that, I still put my weight firmly behind Jamie in what he is trying to do.

To answer some of the criticisms of him, as appeared on 20/7/08 in my city’s main paper, the Sun Herald:-

1.    “The British RSPCA condemned the slaughter of animals”- most commendable but where is the RSPCA each time one of the millions of animals is slaughtered to provide us with what we buy at supermarkets? Please, RSPCA, be consistent in your criticisms!
2.    “Australian Chicken Meat Federation Exec Director Andreas Dubs …questioned Oliver’s motives …as a bit dramatic .. because on the stage ..(it) was just designed to shock”. – of COURSE it was designed to shock. Are pictures of Nazi and other atrocities not ALSO publicised in order to shock us out of our apathy? And to jolt us into trying to remedy these situations?
3.    Dubs goes on to say that his Industry farms both Open and closed range birds and that as such “people can buy whatever is appropriate for them”. People’s WANTING of Battery Eggs and Chickens does NOT make intensive farming any more “Right” and “Appropriate” than people’s ability and choice to buy enslaved (black) labour made it "Right" a couple of centuries ago!
4.    To those people who simply “don’t want to know about” and “cannot watch” those cruel Intensive Farming practices and slaughters, I would say this: you have spines of jelly. You may be morally against such practices but you would be as welcome in my house as those who perpetrate these atrocities. Don’t like the way I don’t pull my punches? Tough!

Ronnie George
Sydney, Australia.

Likes (0)

#218 Sat 26 Jul 08 12:32pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Went and found this article in case anyone was interested...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/ … 42642.html

Likes (0)

#219 Sat 26 Jul 08 2:04pm

freezing

Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

Ok frizz1974.
I'll make a deal with you.

I'll eat raw vegetables (and only raw vegetables) for, let's say conservatively, 6 months.
And you eat raw meat (and only raw meat) for the same amount of time.
And we'll see who's the healthiest afterwards!

I read the article above, and my argument still stands.

Compassion for flavor is barbaric!!

They admitted it on the program that they wanted to look after the chooks so they would taste better.

Likes (0)

#220 Sat 26 Jul 08 3:30pm

BiggusDoggus

Occupation Househusband
From UK
Member since Thu 05 Jun 08

freezing wrote:

Still, not one of you would have the stomach to slaughter and eat an animal (raw?? oh that's ridiculous).

I'm not sure why it has to be raw, but I can confirm that I have caught, killed, cleaned and eaten animals - doesn't bother me at all.

Likes (0)