forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#241 Mon 08 Sep 08 6:26am

boring_sundays

Member since Sun 07 Sep 08

Re: Jamie's Fowl Dinners

well well. somebody seems a little sensitive. though on second thought i can fully understand why people think being vege is a bad idea. it is often exceptionally badly represented, people think that if they are vege they can survive on chips and chocolate, or carrott sticks. of course, to be a sucessful vege you do need to do your research, i think i am pretty healthy, i am sick far less often that most of my frineds(other than the vegan ones, nah, just kidding, i don't know any vegan people, or much about their lifestyle). though i accept that what i think about my health is different to doctors, though i'm yet to meet any doctors who tell me to go eat meat. in fact, its a fact (see the pun? smile ) that vegos live longer than the average meat eater.

and, by the way, i'm sorry about the gun comment, but I think i just got a bit carried away after seeing that one by that guy i'm always complaining about on sticking arses through letterboxes, i thought that was a wee bit rude.  anyway, hopefully this explains more what i'm about.

Likes (0)

#242 Tue 23 Sep 08 6:10pm

silver_fox84

Member since Tue 23 Sep 08

ok watched this ages ago but only just signed up

this show changed my mums view which is huge she now realises what happens i sat and watched the show because i for one fully agree with everything jamie and huge bring up people need to know where there meat comes from and chickens are the one meat that doesnt really have much in the standards of how there raised in this country, i eat meat always have always will but it shocks me how much people dont realise where the food comes from and what process the animal goes through, i must admit i didnt know what happed to the male chicks and it did shock me just so much waste on that large a scale but its the same thing thats happening at the moment with male calfs because no one eats veil its so shocking and i feel so bad for the farmers who are having to waste off there stock

Likes (0)

#243 Fri 10 Oct 08 1:17pm

Red Zebra

Occupation Student
From Brighton
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

I think it's absolutely fantastic that people are having to face the truth about what they are eating. I can't stand it when people bury their heads in the sand about the meat they eat. A friend of mine will change the channel whenever anything related is on, and refuse to discuss any of the issues being raised. So they clearly disagree with poor farming welfare or it wouldn't turn her stomach so much... so why not be a part of the change? People don't have to just accept that 'that's the way things are'. It can change if we show what we want. Because you are voting with your money in the supermarket. If more people start buying ethically farmed meats then eventually, that will become the norm.
I also believe that you are much more likely to make an impact by buying ethical meat than not buying any meat at all. Unfortunately I am unable to do this as... a) Im a vegetarian and b) Im a student... so I can't afford to buy it for the sake of my vote.

But you must see my point.

The first time I saw the adverts for Jamies and Hughs programs about farming I actually shouted "YES!!". Because I knew it would be the beginning of something big. Particularly Jamie because he's feels like 'one of us', you know?
If it had been anyone else it just wouldn't have worked because people take offense too quickly with these issues. Assuming you just think you're better than them, and 'you cant tell us what to do' etc. Well he's not telling you what to do. He's showing you the truth... and if you don't like it, well maybe that says something, no?
Jamie has those values, and it is so exciting that someone like him gives a ****. I admire him so much for that.

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#244 Thu 16 Oct 08 9:13am

TournesolKate

From Creuse, Limousin
Member since Sat 11 Oct 08

I haven't read all the posts here there are too many, so sorry if I'm repeating anybody.

I Haven't bought chicken for ages, because free range chicken is so expensive and I can't justify buying farm chicken.
I'm planning to keep my own chickens in the future for eggs and eventually for meat as well (I'll have to toughen up a bit before I can bring myself to kill them though).

Maybe if everybody bought free range chicken, the price would go down and farm reared chicken would be slowly phased out.
I feel sorry for the farmers though, they're stuck in a catch 22 situation. They need to sell their produce to live. Not everybody has the facilities to be free range.

Keep spreading the word, Jamie and Hugh!  smile

Likes (0)

#245 Mon 27 Oct 08 12:08am

choppie

Member since Sun 26 Oct 08

Unless people grew up under a rock somewhere, they know about the industry.  For Jamie to be all high and mighty about the subject will not change it any more than he changed the school programs.  It is supply and demand....economics 101, and I guess it is nice for hi  to think the world will change around him, he is really just an arrogant kid apparently preaching to the choir of his viewers as everyone else changes the channel

Likes (0)

#246 Mon 27 Oct 08 1:21pm

Miriam30

Member since Mon 27 Oct 08

Go Jamie GO!! Thank you for enlightning us, revealing what's going on in the chicken industry showing  the horrific conditions  and having the courage to do so!!! I was very taken by your programme and you surely have me convinced, I am going for free range eggs from now!!  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#247 Tue 28 Oct 08 10:47pm

JonnyJarvis

Member since Tue 28 Oct 08

Hey Jamie and Co, just thought id write in and say that myself and my wife have switched to free range chickens.  We are from New Zealand and your show just finished airing here a couple of weeks ago.  We have one player who sells free range and it isnt to much more expensive than the farmhouse chickens.

Just thought id give you a bell and congratulate you on your show, it opens eyes.  I will never look at farmhouse chicken again.  GO FREE RANGE.

Thanks alot mate.

Jonny Jarvis (New Zealand)

Likes (0)

#248 Fri 31 Oct 08 4:29am

lnixon99

Member since Fri 31 Oct 08

Hello from Seattle Washington USA

Thank you Jamie for showing the public how factory farmed chickens and eggs are produced. In horrid conditions.

By being informed people can make better choices. I also hope you will look into the way pigs are factory farmed. It is just as bad if not worse that the way chickens are treated.

Keep up the great work.

Likes (0)

#249 Thu 06 Nov 08 2:50pm

JasonHolbkins

Member since Thu 06 Nov 08

Hey guys, check out this video of Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay! big_smile

www.jamie0liver.com  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#250 Mon 24 Nov 08 7:57pm

HowardHebington

Member since Mon 24 Nov 08

I must admit i have not read all 25 pages of this thread but I would just like to point out that although animals are unfortunately badly treated in most cases, having meat or at least animal products in the Human diet is neccecary unless you are taking Vitamin B12 supliments (un-nateral) as it is a ESSENTIAL vitamin wich is only found naterally in ANIMAL PRODUCTS, Also you should view this, because everyone is different:

Likes (0)