forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 03 Jan 08 5:33pm

PatrickSpriggs

Occupation 1st Year Apprentice Chef
From Brisbane
Member since Sat 29 Dec 07

Slow cooker recipes

i know its summer (well it is here in australia) but i still love a nice melt in your mouth stew that i can put on in the morning and get back home in the afternoon knowing it will be cooked and delicious. any favourite  recipes? im normally lazy and just throw whatever veges in, some low quality chops or steak, bit of Worcestershire Sauce some crushed tomatoes and a thickening agent.. simple anyone got any really nice ones?

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 03 Jan 08 6:26pm

calandleo

Member since Wed 02 Jan 08

Re: Slow cooker recipes

as well as my salad castle I know other good recipes, well my grandma does, sometimes she makes meat and potatoe pie, melt in the mouth braising steak and new potatoes topped with light and fluffy pastry.  Great with mushy peas! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 03 Jan 08 9:02pm

blarny3

Member since Sun 23 Dec 07

\hi there...my favourite recipe for the slow cooker

2lb stewing steak or braising steak
1 large onion
2 tbls flour
1 swede
2 turnips
3 large floury potatoes
4 carrots
1- 2 pints beef stock dependent on size of slow cooker
1/2 pint red wine or port
3 oz dried pearl barley (thats a guess..about a handful)
salt and pepper
1 tbls of ketchup

Put slow cooker on auto setting

seal the stewing steak in a hot frying pan, add to the seasoned flour and toss

add all the chopped veggies/ barley/ ketchup/ stock/ rest of flour/ wine/meat

go to work, go shopping and come back to it about 8 -10 hours later..then enjoy with crusty bread or suet dumplings

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 04 Jan 08 1:44am

Simmy

Occupation Nurse
From The Land of Oz
Member since Wed 12 Dec 07

Howdy, I just entered a soup recipe in the "soup's on" thread which is perfect in a slow cooker.  Have a look..........
I also find spaghetti bol is good in a slow cooker.  Just chuck in good quality top side mince, tin tomatoes, garlic, chopped onion, basil or oregano, black pepper, red wine and a jar of passata.  Then all you have to do when you get home is cook the pasta.  Easy.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 04 Jan 08 2:58am

Simmy

Occupation Nurse
From The Land of Oz
Member since Wed 12 Dec 07

Just found another slow cooker recipe that I made a while ago and it was excellent..........I left out the pinenuts and almonds as i do not like them and added in some green olives and it was still delicious.  Once you have browned off the chicken and onion then transfer to slow cooker with all other ingredients and away you go. If you want sides to go with it I suggest some crusty bread and perhaps some steamed rice.  But it really speaks for itself and is quite filling so it can be served alone.  Enjoy!

Spanish Chicken Casserole
INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 chicken drumsticks (600g)
4 chicken thigh cutlets (800g)
1 large brown onion (200g), chopped finely
4 medium potatoes (800g), quartered
½ cup (80g) roasted pine nuts
½ cup (80g) roasted blanched almonds
3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
1 cup (250ml) dry white wine
1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
½ cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
500g baby green beans, trimmed

Note: This recipe is suitable to make in a slow cooker and pressure cooker.

METHOD

Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.

Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish; cook chicken, in batches, until browned.

Cook onion in same dish, stirring, until soft. Return chicken to dish with potato, nuts, stock, wine, juice, garlic, thyme and half the parsley; bring to the boil. Cover; cook in oven about 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 26 Dec 08 7:34pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Shredded Pork Shoulder Barbecue

Pork Shoulder, trim fat and cut into 4 5 inch pieces
2 Large Onions, sliced thinly
6 Cloves Garlic, peeled
Soy Sauce (low sodium)
Chicken Stock
2 Bay Leaves
1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
Brown the meat.   Saute the onions and garlic briefly.  Add soy sauce and chicken stock to fill up to 1/3 the height of the meat.  Add the thyme and bay leaves, slow cook in a crock pot for 9 - 11 hours on low.  Shred the meat when soft, top sandwiches with your favorite bbq sauce and serve on Kaiser rolls.

Likes (0)