forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 08 Jan 08 1:47pm

Poet

Member since Mon 07 Jan 08

Re: Eating Better Chicken - The Times 29th December 2007

chixgbsdg wrote:

Sky News approached me on Monday and I said I would make an exception for them as someone has got to give a balanced view to the series on Channel 4 this week. They might be arriving before the weekend.

so you can make exceptions when you want to then?

I'm not up in arms by the way, I just want the truth and it seems very hard to come by.

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 08 Jan 08 5:02pm

chixgbsdg

As I said, the invitations have been abused through ignorance and the visitors having a preconceived idea of what they want to see.

Nothing in this world is ideal and ideal won't be found on any farm whether it be intensive or organic.

Human values tend to be put on animals, which isn't always a good thing and can lead to cruelty. For example when the animal activists broke into a chicken hatchery and opened up all the doors to let the chicks out. They perished of course.

I think I am getting to the point where I have expressed my views as honestly as I can, so I must go and look after my chickens!

Bye for now and I will watch the other Channel 4 programmes with interest and cringe when I see Hugh and Jamie telling half truths!

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 08 Jan 08 5:11pm

Poet

animal activists don't always act in the best interests of animals and we should leave them to one side.

Stick to the facts.

I'd be grateful also if we could just have this discussion under 1 thread as we seem to be having it under 3 at the moment  big_smile

Before you go, I'd be interested in the response to the question I asked you under this thread

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 99&p=2

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 08 Jan 08 5:41pm

chixgbsdg

Poet - The question is - can we make exceptions? Yes, of course, the farms are privately owned, but all the advice from the bodies we subscribe to say best to keep everyone off the site. I do show people round that I know and the general reaction is firstly - I thought they would be in cages - and secondly - I expected to see something terrible - or words to that effect. I have never had anyone say that they saw something nasty, some say they smell a bit, but birds kept in the garden shed smell a bit.

Hope this has helped. I will sit back now and see how things turn out and we'll see if the British public are still eating our chicken in 12 months time. I hope so as my alternative is to go organic and from experience, I think I would rather pack in farming!

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 08 Jan 08 6:01pm

Poet

chixgbsdg wrote:

Poet - The question is - can we make exceptions? Yes, of course, the farms are privately owned, but all the advice from the bodies we subscribe to say best to keep everyone off the site. I do show people round that I know and the general reaction is firstly - I thought they would be in cages - and secondly - I expected to see something terrible - or words to that effect. I have never had anyone say that they saw something nasty, some say they smell a bit, but birds kept in the garden shed smell a bit.

Hope this has helped. I will sit back now and see how things turn out and we'll see if the British public are still eating our chicken in 12 months time. I hope so as my alternative is to go organic and from experience, I think I would rather pack in farming!

That's not what I asked, if you could click on that link, you'll see that I was asking for a comparison so that we could form our own opinion, which is after all the point of the TV programme.

I'd really appreciate an answer under the other thread, if you don't mind?

BTW my birds don't smell but that's because we keep on top of the mucking out and we add garlic powder to their food which stops the poo smelling.  I wouldn't mind if they did smell a bit though.

I know people who live near intensive farms who say they can smell them for miles.  I appreciate 4 chickens in a back garden is a different thing altogether but that's the whole point isn't it, the keyword being INTENSIVE.

Anyway, I don't s'pose you can answer my question fully in the other thread until you've seen the programme in full so I look forward to your answer to the simple question...as follows

poet wrote:

Is there anything Hugh is doing or not doing in his intensive factory that you do or do not do?

Last edited by Poet (Tue 08 Jan 08 6:14pm)

Likes (0)