forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 12 Jan 08 9:33pm

liztomadin

Occupation Full time domestic engineer (i.e. housewife and busy mum)
From SW London
Member since Fri 11 Jan 08

Casserole recipes

I used to hate casseroles when I was a kid, but now I've got so many young children and can't spend hours over the stove, I suddenly see the many virtues of a dish that you can throw together quickly in the morning or after lunch and then leave in the oven for a few hours until dinner time.  Amazingly, I now just love all these slow cooked meals, and my children seem to as well, fortunately.

Problem is that although I do fine with recipes, I don't seem to be very successful at creating my own concoctions, so I would love to get some new ideas to try out during the cold and wet weeks ahead.  We eat all types of meat and veg, but I just need recipes that are quick to assemble and child friendly too.

Thanks!!!

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 12 Jan 08 11:16pm

smile_seta

From The Philippines
Member since Mon 03 Dec 07

Re: Casserole recipes

Hi, liztomadin.  Why don't you try this one?

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/meat … _beef_stew

wink

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 13 Jan 08 12:04am

liztomadin

From SW London

Thanks smile.  I have most of JO's books and I've done this one a few times. It's a yummy beef stew   tongue I don't always have exactly the right veg, but it always seems to work well.
liz

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 13 Jan 08 7:42am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

These arent my own recipes but I did a quick search on google, just put in the meat required then casserole recipe, found a few nice ones that I might try too, hope this helps.  Theres nothing like a good casserole..mmmmm, comfort food. yummy

Mediterranean chicken casserole

Ingredients (serves 4)
2 tsp olive oil
8 chicken lovely legs
1 large brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
3 celery sticks, trimmed, cut into 2cm-thick slices
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 x 400g cans diced Italian tomatoes
1 chicken stock cube (Massel brand)
150g (1 cup) frozen broad beans, thawed, peeled
1 tbs fresh thyme leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
200g dried spiral pasta, optional, to serve
Method
Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer chicken to a 2L (8-cup) capacity ovenproof casserole dish.
Add onion and celery to the frying pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and mushroom and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mushroom is tender. Add tomato and stock cube and bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Add to casserole dish with the chicken.
Cover the casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid or foil. Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until chicken is tender. Add broad beans and half the thyme and cook for a further 10 minutes or until broad beans are tender. Remove from oven. Taste and season with pepper.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain well.
Spoon casserole into a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with remaining thyme and serve with pasta, if desired.
Source
Australian Good Taste - June 2005 , Page 110

Chicken and sweet potato casserole

Ingredients (serves 4)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1kg chicken thigh fillets, halved crossways
1 large bulb fennel, thinly sliced
6 sprigs lemon thyme
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons Maille wholegrain mustard
400g orange sweet potato, peeled, roughly chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup thickened cream
1 quantity caramelised onions (see note)
Method
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Remove to a plate.
Add fennel, thyme and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add wine and mustard. Cook for 3 minutes. Add sweet potato and stock. Bring to the boil. Return chicken to pan. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add cream. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes (do not return to the boil as sauce might spit). Stir in caramelised onions. Serve.
Notes & tips
To freeze: Allow to cool for 1 hour. Spoon into a 4 cup-capacity airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat: Thaw in the fridge for 24 hours. Microwave, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50%) for 15 to 18 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until heated through.
Caramelised onions: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add 2 thinly sliced large red onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until soft. Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
Source
Super Food Ideas - November 2006 , Page 70

Lamb Casserole
Chef: Lachlan Bowtell
Lachlan is from Meat & Livestock Australia.

You need:
Lamb neck chops
flour
oil
garlic
herbs (fresh or dried)
white wine, dry style such as chardonnay
onions
carrots
celery
turnips
potatoes
and any other variety of winter vegetable (to your liking)

Method:
Lightly dust neck chops in flour, then seal chops off lightly in a frying pan with a small amount of oil. Don't cook too long (1 minute each side) as this is a white-style sauce dish.

Remove chops from the pan, and set aside.

Place vegetables in the pan, sweat them lightly. Add a little bit of garlic and herbs (fresh or dried)...and cook vegetables until they become tender. Then add a good slurp of quality white wine to deglaze the pan. Wine will reduce down, then add either veal stock or water. Add Lamb neck chops to the dish and place in the oven, and cook for an hour and a half to two hours - or until tender.

Lachlan likes to throw a few frozen peas in the casserole before removing from the oven, to add a bit of colour to the dish.

Lachlan's big tip - A CASSEROLE IS ALWAYS BETTER TOMORROW...so make sure you make a large quantity for the best flavour sensation!!

Tandoori lamb casserole
Chef: Rob Scott

You need:
1 kg diced lamb
3 medium onions – chopped
2 carrots – diced
3 – 4 potatoes – peeled and diced
3 – 4 tablespoons Tandoori paste
2 teaspoons Ground coriander
3 dessert spoons Natural yoghurt
4 Cloves
1 cup frozen peas
½ litre chicken stock
Pilaf rice
Vegetable oil

Method:
Gently heat some oil in your fry pan, and quickly sauté, in sections, your lamb. Seal on all sides until it is a nice brown colour.

Repeat this process until all of the lamb is sealed. Saute onions, potatoes, and carrots, add your ground coriander and cloves. Gently cook out the flavour. Add to diced lamb in casserole dish. Set aside.

Return fry pan to the stove, add tomato and Tandoori paste and a little chicken stock. Stir around the frypan until it is blended to a thick paste, adding a little more stock. Pour paste and remaining stock into the lamb and stir well.

Place lid on casserole dish and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 3 hours. Remove from oven and check for tenderness of the lamb.

If satisfied add peas, and return to oven, without the lid for a further 15 minutes. Just prior to serving, stir yoghurt into slightly cooled casserole. Garnish with some sliced cucumber and chopped coriander and serve with pilaf rice.

Hearty beef casserole

Ingredients (serves 4)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1.5kg diced beef chuck or blade steak
2 large onions, cut into thin wedges
2 leeks, white part only, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 sticks celery, trimmed, sliced
2 large carrots, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
2 x 425g cans diced tomatoes
1/4 cup red wine
1 cup beef stock
Method
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook beef, in 4 batches, stirring, until browned. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil, onions, leeks, garlic, celery and carrots to pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
Return beef to pan with tomatoes, wine and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
Divide half the casserole between 4 plates. Serve with mashed potato or bread. Set aside remaining casserole for High Pie (see related recipe). Leftovers Allow reserved casserole to cool. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Source
Super Food Ideas - June 2005 , Page 25

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 13 Jan 08 10:44pm

Orkania

Member since Sun 13 Jan 08

hey
this may sound a bit odd: What exactly is a casserole?  help
Is it meat and vegetables cooked in one and the same pan? Does it have to contain meat? What kind of pan?

I`m from Switzerland and not very used to english. I think I just don`t know the word casserole. Maybe I can add some recipes, if I learn what it means.  smile 

thanks!

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 13 Jan 08 11:26pm

liztomadin

From SW London

Hi Orkania

Yes, a casserole (or stew or hotpot) is pretty much what you say: meat and veg cooked in the same pan, unless it's a vegetarian casserole, in which case there's no meat!  The other thing that makes it a casserole is that it's slow cooked, either in the oven or on the hob.  I think pretty much every country has it's own versions, as they mostly date from peasant cookery, I think, where tough cuts of meat were cooked slowly to tenderize them and the addition of lots of veg made the dish go much further.

As for the type of pan:  something fairly heavy, with a lid that goes in the oven (unless you're not going to put it in the oven!)

Hope that answers your question.  Is there a traditional Swiss stew??!  Would love to find out!

smile

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 13 Jan 08 11:28pm

liztomadin

From SW London

Thanks Mrs Master for your recipes.  I will certainly give some of them a try as I do like to ring the changes!

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 14 Jan 08 2:46am

zippets

Occupation Mum
From Perth, Western Australia
Member since Thu 09 Aug 07

Cheers Zippy smile

Steak Normandy

1 kg diced Chuck Steak
2 tablespoons each Flour, Sugar, Tomato and Worcestershire Sauces
1 tablespoon Vinegar
1 chopped clove Garlic
3 Onions
3 – 4 Rashers Bacon
½ cup Stock
Salt and pepper

Season the flour and then combine with the sugar.  Coat the meat in the flour mixture.  Line casserole with 2 onions cut into rings and place meat over top.  Sprinkle with garlic, pour over juices and let stand for ½ hour.  Top with remaining onion rings, then bacon.  Bake in covered casserole in moderate oven for 2 hours.  Remove the lid for last 20 mins.

Shepherd's pie

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 kg  mince
30 g butter
2 medium onions (300g), diced
3 stalks celery (300g), diced
2 medium carrots (300g), diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2-3 tablespoons plain flour
1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1-2 bay leaves
425g can diced tomatoes
200g sliced mushrooms, optional
1 cup beef stock
1 tablespoon fresh thyme or rosemary, chopped finely
2 tablespoons parsley, roughly chopped
Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1 kg mashed potato
2 cups mature cheddar cheese, grated
Garden salad to serve

Method
Heat large heavy based pot or pan, add oil and lamb mince. Cook stirring, until mince is well browned and liquid has evaporated. Remove mince from pan and reserve.
Return pan to heat. Add butter, onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook over medium heat until soft (3-4 minutes).  Add tomato paste, cook 1 minute then add flour and cook another 2 minutes.
Return meat to pan. Add Worcestershire, bay leaf, tomatoes, mushrooms, stock, thyme and/or rosemary and salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
Reduce heat, half cover and simmer 20-25 minutes. Mixture should reduce by about 1/3.
Add parsley, season to taste. Remove from heat.
Preheat oven 180°C or 160°C fan-forced.
Fold together mashed potato and half the cheese.
Lightly butter 8 cup ceramic baking dish. Pour in filling. Top with potato mix. Fork the top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake in preheated oven until top is golden, 20-30 minutes.
Turn once, 15 minutes into cooking time, if top is browning unevenly.
I dice my vegies really small so the kids don’t complain about ‘’lumpy’’ vegetables!

Osso bucco

INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup plain flour
salt and pepper
12 pieces osso bucco (shin beef or veal)
¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 carrot, chopped coarsely
1 stick celery, chopped coarsely
3 cloves garlic, halved
¾ cup (185ml) white wine
3 stalks thyme
2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
425ml can chopped tomatoes
1 lemon
1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped finely

METHOD
Preheat oven to 160°C/150°C fan-forced.

Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large plastic bag. Add osso bucco pieces and toss to coat in the flour.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in large oven-proof casserole dish or saucepan and cook osso bucco pieces in batches until browned all over. Remove Osso Bucco.
Add the remaining oil & sauté onions, carrot, celery and garlic over medium heat until softened and beginning to caramelise.
Add the wine and tomato paste and cook 3 minutes or until alcohol evaporates from the wine.
Return osso bucco to the pan with thyme, stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Using a potato peeler, remove 2 strips of lemon zest from lemon and add to osso bucco.

Cover and bake in pre-heated oven 2-2½ hours or until meat is tender. This may take up to 30 minutes longer if your pieces of osso bucco are very thick. Alternatively, the dish can be simmered gently over a low heat on the cook top for approximately the same length of time.

Meanwhile, finely grate remaining lemon zest and combine with the chopped parsley in a small bowl to make gremolata.

Serve osso bucco topped with gremolata and mashed potato or soft polenta on the side

Mozzarella Mince

500gms beef mince
1 onion - finely chopped
1 cup celery – finely chopped
1 capsicum - finely chopped
1 clove crushed garlic
1 cup cooked shell noodles
1 tablespoon butter
300 - 500gm tin tomato soup
1 dessertspoon tomato paste
250gms Mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese

Saute mince in butter for a few minutes, add vegetables and cook 5 mins.  Add tomato soup, tomato paste and noodles.  Place in casserole in layers of mince, mozzarella, mince etc.  Sprinkle with Parmesan.  Bake in moderate oven with lid on 20 – 30 minutes.

Beef Diane Casserole

1 kg rump steak – cut into large cubes
250gm bacon – chopped
250gm button mushrooms
*2 onions – sliced
2 pkts Continental Diane Sauce (powdered version)
1 tab Maggi seasoning
1 tab Worcestershire sauce
1 cup red wine
1 cup water
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
*Extra bacon rashers
*optional*

Place cubed meat in casserole dish and toss though with both packets Diane sauce mix.  Add mushrooms, bacon & onions and mix in with the meat.
Mix the rest of the ingredients and pour over meat.
Place bacon rashers over the top (if using them), put lid on casserole & bake in a moderately slow oven for 2 hours.
If using extra bacon remove lid for last ½ hour

Beef goulash with lemon and garlic green beans

INGREDIENTS Beef goulash:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 brown onions, finely chopped
700g beef rump, diced into large cubes
1½ teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons vegetable or beef stock powder
1 cup water
salt and pepper, to taste
mashed potato, gnocchi or green beans, to serve

Lemon and garlic green beans
150g green beans, top and tailed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon lemon zest
salt and freshly ground black pepper
goulash and mashed potato, to serve

METHOD
Heat oil in a saucepan and add chopped onions.
Stir until they are all coated in oil, then put lid on saucepan and cook onions for 1-2 minutes or until translucent.
Add beef and stir for 1 minute.
Add tomato paste and stir again until paste coats meat.
Add paprika, stock powder and water and stir until all mixed through.
Cover with lid, turn down heat and cook for 20 minutes or until beef is tender.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

For the lemon and garlic beans, place beans into a bowl and pour boiling water over them. Stand 3 minutes, drain and set aside.
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add beans, parsley and lemon zest and cook, tossing for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve goulash with mashed potato, gnocchi or green beans.

Chicken and spring vegetable casserole

INGREDIENTS
9 thigh pieces, diced (800g-900g)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch spring onions, whole & trimmed or (2 medium brown onions, diced)
3-4 celery sticks, peeled and roughly chopped
1 small bunch Dutch carrots or (2-3 medium carrots, roughly chopped)
1 cup white wine
1½ cups chicken stock
1-2 bay leaves
1 cup tomato puree
30g butter
1 tablespoon olive oil extra
4 cups mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped or torn (Swiss brown, oyster and field mushrooms)
2 teaspoons thyme leaves
1 bunch asparagus; ends trimmed, peeled and cut into 4 cm pieces
½ cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly torn

METHOD
In a large flameproof, lidded casserole pot, over a medium to high heat, brown thigh meat in olive oil and remove. Pour off excess fat.
Add onions, a little extra olive oil if necessary, and cook until beginning to colour and soften.
Add celery and carrots; cook further 1-2 minutes.
Pre-heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
Return chicken to pot. Add wine, chicken stock, bay leaves and tomato puree. Bring to the boil.
Place lid on casserole pot and place in pre-heated oven; cook 1 hour.
Meanwhile; over a medium heat. Using a large non-stick pan; add butter, olive oil, mushrooms and thyme. Cook until soft. Remove from heat.
Return pan to heat and cook asparagus until tender. Remove from heat.
Remove casserole from oven; add wilted mushrooms, asparagus, thyme and torn parsley. Stir gently to combine.
Serve with crusty bread and a light salad.

Chicken cacciatore

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 slices pancetta, chopped coarsely
6 chicken thighs, quartered
1 brown onion, chopped coarsely
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 stick celery, chopped coarsely
2 carrots, chopped coarsely
1 cup mushrooms, chopped coarsely
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1½ tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
¼ cup pitted black olives
¼ cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
mashed or baked potatoes, to serve

METHOD
Heat half the oil in a flame proof deep casserole dish, over a medium high heat. Cook pancetta until browned; remove to a plate. Cook chicken in batches until browned all over; transfer to plate with the pancetta.
In the same casserole dish, heat remaining oil and cook onion, garlic, celery, carrots and mushrooms until vegetables brown and start to soften. Add tomato paste, mixing through vegetables then tin tomatoes, stock and vinegar and stir to combine.
Return pancetta and chicken to casserole dish and bring to the boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or alternatively bake in oven 1 hour @ 180celcius.
Stir in olives and parsley.
Can also serve with some grated lemon, lime or tangerine zest.

Chicken, Spud & Tomato

4 chicken thighs – boned
1 dozen or so new spuds - peeled
1 dozen or so mixed tomatoes (plum, cherry, tiger, pear, normal etc)
Fresh oregano or marjoram
Extra virgin olive oil
1 dessertspoon of nice vinegar
Salt & pepper

Boil the spuds untill soft.
Cut chicken thighs into 3 or 4 pieces.
Put some oil into a pan & when hot add the chicken pieces, skin side down, sprinkle with salt and brown well.
Pierce each tomato then put into the boiling water with the cooked spuds.
After about 45 seconds, drain & pinch the skin off the tomatoes.
Place thumb into the spuds to break.
In a flavour shaker (or blender/mortar & pestle) put a handful of fresh oregano, some salt & shake well until all smashed up (to get the oils out of the herbs).
Fill shaker about ¾ with extra virgin olive oil, the vinegar & black pepper then shake well.
Put chicken, tomatoes & spuds in a baking dish (or leave in the chicken pan if it is oven friendly), drizzle over the oregano oil, place a few more sprigs of fresh oregano & bake for 35 to 40 minutes @ 180 to 200c.  The chicken should go all nice & sticky.
Serve with a rocket salad dressed with lemon, oil & a pinch of salt.

Spanish Baked Chicken Recipe

Also known as "Pollo Estofado" this stewed chicken recipe is Spanish in origin. The chicken is marinated overnight in a spicy vinaigrette with olives and raisins. The chicken is then cooked in its marinade with the addition of wine and brown sugar.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Dash of pepper
3 bay leaves
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup sliced pitted green olives
3 pounds chicken parts
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup dry white wine

Method
In a medium bowl combine the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, garlic powder, pepper, bay leaves, raisins and olives. Prick the skin of the chicken with fork tines and add to the marinade, coating well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place chicken in a 12x8x2-inch baking dish. Combine wine with the marinade and pour over chicken. Sprinkle chicken with brown sugar. Bake uncovered at 350°F, basting occasionally, until chicken is tender, about 50 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
Serves 4.

TOMATO CHICKEN WITH CAPERS

Brown the chicken pieces. Place the chicken in a shallow baking dish and cover with one can of crushed tomatoes and sprinkle on the capers. Bake in the oven at about 200 degrees C for one hour and towards the end of baking, sprinkle with grated cheese.

SPICY PORK & PEPPER GOULASH

2 kg pork shoulder off the bone
700gm mixed peppers – deseeded & sliced
2 Spanish (red) onions – sliced
2 heaped dessertspoon paprika
2 tsp caraway seeds – smashed in the flavour shaker
1 jar roasted peppers – chopped
1 tin of tomatoes
1 dessertspoon fresh marjoram or oregano leaves
Stock or water
4 tab red wine vinegar

Crisscross score the fat on the pork down to the meat and season with sea/rock salt & cracked pepper.
Place in a hot ovenproof pan to render the fat down, adding a little oil if necessary.
Take meat out of the pan then put in the peppers, paprika, salt & pepper, caraway seeds, roasted peppers, tin tomatoes, onions & herbs.
Toss around then pop the pork back in getting it down to the bottom of the pan & covered with the vegetables.
Pour in the stock or water to cover the meat, add the vinegar then bring it to the boil. 
Pop it into the oven @ 180 Celsius for 2½ to 3 hours or until the meat falls apart.  Taste to check the flavour & see if it requires any adjusting.
Mix together sour cream, zest of 1 lemon & freshly chopped parsley.
Place goulash onto a plate & top with the sour cream then ladle another ladleful of the goulash over top of this so it runs all the sour cream mix into the goulash.

Spanish Pork Chops

Ingredients:
4 – 6 pork chops or steaks
1 onion - chopped
½ capsicum - chopped
8 oz tin tomatoes
Salt & pepper
2 tsp Vinegar
1½  tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ pint stock
1 tsp paprika
2 tab oil
Seasoned flour

Method
Coat the chops in the seasoned flour.
Heat the oil in a pan & brown the chops then place in a casserole dish.
Sauté the onions then add the capsicum & sauté lightly.  Add tin of tomatoes, paprika, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce & stock.
Pour over the meat the bake @ 180celcius for about 1 hour.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 17 Jan 08 8:48pm

Orkania

Member since Sun 13 Jan 08

Hi Liztomadin!

"Hope that answers your question.  Is there a traditional Swiss stew??!  Would love to find out!"

I'm sorry it took me so long to answer,  but I called my Grandma, got her at last (she is always too busy) and asked her for traditional casserole or hotpot recipes. They are called Eintopf (Onepot) in german, cause you put everything in one big pot   big_smile . They are not from Switzerland, but from Northern Germany, were I originally come from.

Eisbein und Sauerkraut

Knuckles & sauerkraut

Boil 1 fresh raw knuckles for an hour, add  2 pounds Sauerkraut (ready) and cook for another half an hour, grate a potato, add it and bring it to boil again.

It gets digestible with whole caraway grains (kuemmel), but this is not necessary. The sauerkraut should be spicy enough but you can add salt and pepper if you like.
My Grandma told me to take ready sauerkraut from a tin. It is very popular and tasty in Germany.

Potato soup

Wash, chop and boil 4 pounds fresh potatoes (a floury or very soft kind), 2 big carrots, some celeriac and a leek for half an hour, cut some bacon and dice 1 small onion. Fry the bacon and onion and add it to the soup. Let it boil for another ten minutes. Spice it with Salt and Pepper and add some Viennese or Frankfurter sausages.  yummy  Cut them if you like or have them whole.

This soup tastes even better the next day.

Across the garden

Boil 1 pound raw ribs for half an hour, wash, chop and add 4 pounds fresh vegetables as you like (1/4 potatoes, ¼ carrots, ¼ kohlrabi, ¼ peas, for example) and cook for another half an hour. Add salt & pepper and spread chopped parsley on top right before serving.

I had to translate the recipes (they got quite short...  whistle  )and I hope I did well and you can understand everything.

Grüezi

Orkania

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 25 Jan 08 2:48pm

gardkarlsen

From Stavanger, Norway
Member since Fri 25 Jan 08

Hi

If you guys haven't tried it be sure to try the Chicken cacciatore...it is excellent  thumbsup

Regards
Gard

Likes (0)