Jamie Oliver

forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Mon 28 Jan 08 4:11pm

Bento

Member since Fri 11 Jan 08

Re: Can we persuade Jamie to do alternative version of Jamie at Home book?

I feel scared to say this now, but I was initially worried that the book would look the same as the TV series and I wouldn't be able to follow it at all!

It'd be nice to have some pages from the series in the book, but only serving as illustrations and not as the main text. I did like the look of the sketches, but to be fair they didn't contain much info and wouldn't really be more useful than the info that's provided. Some of the notes weren't things you'd want or need in a book, like 'lovely' with an arrow, or 'really tasty' next to a pic. Nice for a TV series where it flashes on screen for a few seconds, but not really practical in a book.

But yes, a few leaves of it as illustration material would be fun. But would the whole book have to be redesigned to fit in with that style?

Likes (0)

#22 Tue 29 Jan 08 1:54am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Bento wrote:

Some of the notes weren't things you'd want or need in a book, like 'lovely' with an arrow, or 'really tasty' next to a pic. Nice for a TV series where it flashes on screen for a few seconds, but not really practical in a book.

Jamie quite often uses the very same expressions in his cook books!

To re-make up the book one would think that you would have to use all or none of the material.

To pick and choose on an individual basis would be  most impracticle.

"Jamie's Dinner's" has some drawings  and impromtu writing which fit nicely into the book, and I think that "Jamie at Home" would also benefit from the inclusion of the quirks and illustrations.

Jamie's books to me are much more than a cookbook they offer the readers a culinary journey with great advice told in a way that only jamie can. smile

Last edited by shammrok (Tue 29 Jan 08 2:03am)

Likes (0)

#23 Wed 30 Jan 08 10:23pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I have to say I didn't buy the book coz I was a bit disappointed the drawings & scribbles weren't in it. I've borrowed my mate's for the recipes, but otherwise I would have bought it just to enjoy.

Likes (0)

#24 Mon 11 Feb 08 8:37pm

ScampDoodle

Occupation Web and Graphic Designer
From Barnet
Member since Fri 18 Jan 08

I also was hoping for the doodles within the book.

Bought it anyway cos I loved the recipes. I also thought the smaller diary' Journal' that was produced along side this may have the drawings, but nothing in there either.

Oh well still enjoying the recipes.

Likes (0)

#25 Tue 12 Feb 08 2:20am

amoretti

From Georgia-USA
Member since Sun 03 Feb 08

Oh my gosh, I too thought his new book would have the drawings and scribbles. That was the very first thing I looked for when I got my book! Jamie, I love this on your show...please...please....please do one of these suggestions for another release that includes these (and release it in the states straight away). I've been thinking about looking for a rustic bound book with the brown paper etc. from the book store to make my own recipe journal like the show, but I'm not very artistic on my own. 
All of this aside, the book is an absolute masterpiece...scribbles or not!

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 13 Feb 08 3:46am

denise.hoare

Member since Fri 09 Feb 07

I too would buy the book again (even though I have a signed copy) as I loved the tv graphics and thought they would be easy and simple to follow.

I'm loving the second series that has just been shown in Australia.  Can't wait for that book to come out too!!!   Please, please, please have it in the tv format!!!!   crossed  crossed  crossed

And I can't wait for the third series of jamie at home if there is another one on the way....   wink

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 13 Feb 08 5:50pm

Oliinthekitchen

Occupation Student - Age 15
From Northallerton, Darlington
Member since Mon 11 Feb 08

I was impressed with the book but understand what you are saying about the books layout. i hope that jamie has a new series of book coming out soon.

Oli
In The Kitchen
whistle

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 13 Feb 08 6:16pm

nikkit72

From milton keynes
Member since Thu 07 Feb 08

frizz1974 wrote:

Lets hope J.O spots this thread next time he pops in.... Pete has seen it but I dont think he really got what we were on about... I think a companion journal to the book... maybe like a book we can keep garden notes and recipes in..

I need to buy a note book anyway to keep notes in of dates when I plant stuff & where, and how long before I was able to harvest it, and what I cooked with it.

I would love something that looked like Jamies notebook in the show.

well whe  i was in wh smiths in uk last week i saw a jamie oliver note book in the charts no drawings in it tho , just a basic journal for u to write all ur notes in , but the cover has some of the drawings like the show has , think it was about £9.99 , which to me is a very expensive note pad i would'nt pay that for a note book, but this may be what you are looking for  smile

Likes (0)

#29 Thu 14 Feb 08 12:39pm

Oliinthekitchen

Occupation Student - Age 15
From Northallerton, Darlington
Member since Mon 11 Feb 08

The book where i live in W H Smith was 1.99 on sale and i think the sale ends in about 2 weeks. if anyone would like me to get them one and send it out please tell me.

Oli
In The Kitchen
whistle

Likes (0)

#30 Fri 15 Feb 08 5:41am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I had a look at the "bookshop" on this website but it doesnt appear there.

Have sent an emaill to Jamies book people (the contact is at the bottom of the "bookshop" page) as I wanted to know if that notebook is available here in Oz.

Likes (0)