forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 18 Jan 08 3:46pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Substitute for panko

I live in the most WASPish area of Sydney, according to the LGA.

Is there anything (frying breadcrumbs etc) that I can use as a substitute for panko without driving an hour+ each way + tolls (plus time, most important factor) + petrol?

If so, what bread should I use?

Many thanks in advance  thumbsup

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Fri 18 Jan 08 8:24pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Substitute for panko

Grate bread on the large holes of a box grater and dry them in a slow oven.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 19 Jan 08 2:22am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Quicker and easier is to use a good wood oven style bread, whizz  it in the food processor to make bread crumbs and then dry them in a very low oven.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 19 Jan 08 2:46am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

or you could use white bread crumbs

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 19 Jan 08 4:09am

Maree

Forum champ

Thanks.everyone. Just re-read my original post "frying" should have read "drying". Brain was on fast-forward  big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 19 Jan 08 6:44am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Can never work out why people buy breadcrumb or panko - both of which I've seen on sale for insane prices.

The ultimate fate of any bread in this house is either breadcrumbs or croutons. Both are best made from day old dry bread, take next to no effort, and keep for ages in airtight jars or boxes.

I have separate jars for dried white breadcrumbs / panko, dried brown breadcrumbs, "browned" white breadcrumbs, and "browned" brown breadcrumbs. Croutons are always with white bread, either larger slices or smaller cubes, and kept in plastic boxes.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 19 Jan 08 7:08am

Maree

Forum champ

Hi, Geoff. I don't buy breadcrumbs either. Stale bread gets blitzed in the food processor and stored. I have due to my upbringing, environmental and ethical reasons, a problem with throwing out good food. If I can't find a way to use it for family or work, it goes into one of the compost heaps or worm farms and becomes plant food (improving the soil for plants for "show" or plants "to eat".

Panko seems ubiquitous these days. Flipped through a Nigella book this week and she is using it, too.

Was blowed if I'd drive across the city for a pack of breadcrumbs, hence my query re making my own.

Cheers:)

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 19 Jan 08 7:44am

GeoffP

Forum champ

Panko is just a fancy name for dried white breadcrumbs - specifically dry, white, crispy flashed breadcrumbs.

Use a good quality, open textured bread, preferably one day old, with the crusts cut off, and you can't go wrong.

I just find it weird that anyone would actually pay for breadcrumbs, and pay a premium price at that, when they are so easy and cheap to make.

Mind you, I remember people buying those dreadful orange Paxo breadcrumbs, and ready made stuffing mixes - could never understand that either!

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 19 Jan 08 8:03am

Maree

Forum champ

Thanks, Geoff, we are obviously on the same wave-length on this.

How long does it take to pulse stale bread in the food processor? I admit that if just doing breadcrumbs, I don't even wash the bowl or blade. A quick wipe with a clean tea towel is usually sufficient.

As for ready made stuffing mixes... Ever read the ingredient list on the box (which is why I started my business- not for stuffing mix- but food in general)? They read like a chemistry text (so many numbers-artificial colourings, flavourings and additives).

I am a busy person (OK, markets rained out today, so am at home), but aren't we all?

How long does it take to grab fresh breadcrumbs (or pulse stale bread), chop or pulse an onion and to add seasonings (rosemary, parsley and sage is our standard + salt and pepper) and voila, stuffing mix!

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 19 Jan 08 11:17am

GeoffP

Forum champ

How lond does it take to pulse dry breadcrumbs. That depends on which foodprocessor, how much bread, what kind of bread and how dry it is.

Just pulse it, or leave it running until it looks right.

For stuffing, I prefer to use fresh bread for the breadcrumbs. I finely chop the onions (to give a little texture) and fry them in a little butter until translucent, add the chopped (fresh) herbs, salt & pepper, to the onions, mix briefly, then throw in the breadcrumbs and stir well. Finally, break an egg into the pan, and stir. All in one pan, and takes just moments.

Likes (0)