Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 23 Jan 08 10:37pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Shortening...

Maree - shortening is the "old fashioned" or original name for whatever you use to "shorten" pastry (as in shortcrust pastry and shortbread). It describes any fat which used for baking and is solid at room temperature.

I woukd use butter and lard, rather than such industrial products as Crisco orCookern, which are veetable derived and high in trans fats in the form of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 23 Jan 08 11:39pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Nowadays shortening is mostly used to describe the Crisco type stuff though not exclusively.
Like Geoff I prefer the "real" stuff.

Butter or margerine is often creamed with  the sugar or before adding the sugar (and eggs) for cakes here, sometimes cookies with softer doughs. By creaming the fat first, then altering additions of sugar and eggs you get a fluffier emulsion. (something you certainly do not want in a shortcrust, but definitely in cakes and some cookies).

Hope this helps at all.

Good luck wink

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 24 Jan 08 5:20am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

So, Geoff, you are, basically, agreeing with what I wrote in post #7 and the beginning of post #10?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#14 Fri 19 Oct 12 12:06pm

ChefCooper

Member since Fri 19 Oct 12

The use of shortening is outdated due to its Trans fat making properties. Do Not Use Shortening! Equally, don't use any margarines that have been produced with Hydrogenation either.
After 30 odd years of teaching pastry skills to young chefs (some of whom may now be working for Jamie) I find I have enough experience to warn people away hydrogenated fats.
Some newer margarines claim to be healthy options and even good for the heart. I suppose you might get good creaming properties from these.
Personally I still prefer butter. It tastes better and if you use it skilfully you can produce pastry with a short crumb and 'friability' that melt-in-the-mouth effect.
Butter we use in our cooking at home or in a good restaurant cannot be blamed for the World's heart problems.
Evidence points to the saturated fats in meat products and processed meats such as sausages and pies etc. Pies, Pastries, biscuits and cakes that we buy are often made with hydrogenated fats. These are the main culprits!
When I make pastry I try to roll it thinner and encourage the use of healthier fruit and nut fillings. We shouldn't necessarily be enjoying our grannies favourite recipes but looking to the future with our own healthier options. Granny would, I'm sure, Be proud of us.

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 19 Oct 12 11:31pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

At least from the dough-perspective shortening is fat. The only difference with margarine is that margarine contains water. There are many types of shortenings but the classic AllPurpose shortening has about 10% air trapped in it(so it can levain doughs) and contains no added emulsifiers. That's the most general stuff about shortening I can think of.

Omg this was an old post...I didn't notice the date...This brings back memories......

Last edited by dukegus (Fri 19 Oct 12 11:33pm)

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 21 Oct 12 12:26pm

ChefCooper

Member since Fri 19 Oct 12

I have obviously joined the wrong forum. Help get me out of here!

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 21 Oct 12 12:33pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

lol  lol  lol  thumbsup

have a look at this if you like, it's also out of theme but roll  whistle
http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archive … tarter.php

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Sun 21 Oct 12 12:34pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 21 Oct 12 1:46pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

ChefCooper wrote:

I'm with you on using butter.  I don't use margarine, lard or hydrogenated vegetable shortening.  I still get a good flaky crust and I have tried pie dough others made with vegetable shortening and didn't care for the flavor or texture of it.  I don't get what people are talking about when they jam a bunch of trans fat into biscuits or pie dough.  You don't need to do that.  Butter is better.

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 21 Oct 12 3:16pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

ChefCooper wrote:

Cooper your preaching to the choir friend  think

Likes (0)