forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 06 Jun 08 11:24am

Mrs J

Member since Fri 06 Jun 08

Re: MSG LINKED TO OBESITY

The argument for MSG in food is an interesting one,

We have acceptable levels of MSG in our foods in terms of risk to health, indeed it is naturally occuring. However the question remains "what is it's purpose in adding more of it to food?" and that is to enhance the flavour of the food. This must surely create a potentially addictive response especially in some people over time ie the more you have the more you want, especially in foods that are also high in fat - these all create a release of drugs in the brain reinforcing the sense of satisfaction from eating these foods. It is probably therefore no coincidence that asian countries are facing an increasing obesity problem from 'importing' western foods, high in fat and also incorporating MSG.  In essense over time, we are training ourselves to eat these foods (who knows may be over generations?? genetically or by a learned behaviour)  However MSG in itself is only a contributory factor, other elements such as lack of exercise etc etc will also play a part in this type of global health issue we are beginning to face.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 06 Jun 08 2:14pm

adajeannie

From South Africa
Member since Tue 27 May 08

i found some interesting stufff on MSG at

www.msgfacts.com

apparently products like Parmesan has more msg in it naturally than many other products with added msg..... hmm

i eat a lot of parmesan..... yummy

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 06 Jun 08 2:17pm

adajeannie

From South Africa

Oh, and by the way.... it is my opinion that 70% of what you are is what you put in your mouth!  So, adding msg or not..... taking in too much "empty calories"  are a huge problem and then not doing any physical exercise!  yikes

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 09 Jun 08 10:55pm

Tristessa

Occupation Teacher
From North Lincolnshire, UK
Member since Mon 09 Jun 08

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition
    and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting medical studies:

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the
    Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than
    the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

3. The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks
    than the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

4. The Italians drink large amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer heart
    attacks than the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and
    suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans,Australians, British, or Canadians.

6. Ukrainians drink a lot of vodka, eat a lot of perogies, cabbage rolls and
    suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like.  Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
whistle

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 18 Jun 08 11:39pm

wiseone

Member since Wed 18 Jun 08

Ok, obviously some things need to be pointed out.

First off,

In authentic Oriental cooking , the main source of glutamate is soy sauce.  This is used sparingly compared to the massive doses used in western processed foods.  KFC chicken, Campbell's Soup and Heinz gravies for example use far more MSG than would be found in the typical oriental diet. 

As for quoting anything from msgfacts.com, please realize this is the mouthpiece for the Glutamate Association.  It is a website designed specifically to defend the users and abusers of MSG.  Lobbyist group spin at it's best.

MSG and Aspartame or close cousins in the family of excitotoxins.

Consider the following  from CTV.ca
"Instead of the fish, rice and miso soup of their grandparents' generation, younger Japanese are increasingly wolfing down fast food like burgers, fried chicken and instant noodles....Men in all age groups have grown heavier in the past two decades in Japan. The highest rate of obesity is among men in their 40s: 34 per cent in 2003, up from 23 per cent in 1980, according to the National Health and Nutrition Survey. While older women are also growing fatter,"

Our western diet full of manufactured MSG it taking it's toll there as well.

Instant noodles and Fried Chicken industries are dependent on MSG for flavour.

Food for thought, MSG for fat.

On another note, I've read the book "The Slow Poisoning of America".  I recommend it to anyone that wants to get to the truth of the matter.  It is written very well and easy to read, but is backed up by footnoted scientific studies.

From reading the book, what I found most alarming is the staggering rise in Autism.  Mr. Erb makes some startling observations connecting the use of MSG and the cause of Autism.  After doing some research, I realize that yes, not only are people getting fat wherever our western diet full of MSG has infiltrated but there is also a dramatic increase in Autism.

Jaime i think you are fantastic.  Please let us know what you think.

I would even be willing to buy a copy of the book to send to you (if I can the book is very hard to get) or even send you my copy.  If you are interested.  smile

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 19 Jun 08 12:27am

lsm1066

Occupation Complementary therapist, administrator and general head cook and bottle washer
From Lincolnshire
Member since Sat 19 Apr 08

We have to avoid all foods with MSG in them (so about 99% of all savoury snacks are out) because our younger son (ASD, EBD and Dyslexia) is highly sensitive to all chemicals in foods, particularly MSG. Half a packet of standard crisps would have him climbing the walls for several hours. We quite often make our own, and he's especially a fan of home made beetroot crisps. All hail the mandolin slicer! And Aspartame is no better (The FDA in America is looking into banning it altogether) since it's apparently not excreted by the body but stored in the brain, causing changes in brain chemistry, that's another one that makes him climb the walls (along with azo-dyes in foods and soya, which is in nearly everything, especially if the ingredients just say "vegetable oil").

Incidentally, having just watched HFW, he had a report that showed that intensively reared chickens have only 15% of the Omega3 they had in the 1970s, due to a lack of proper diet and exercise. They are also about 12.5% fat and so, by extension, eating intensively reared chicken can make you fat!.

LSM1066

Likes (0)

#17 Sat 21 Jun 08 5:33pm

chuck mac vicar

Member since Sat 21 Jun 08

Hi I have had heart problems for about 6 years and its only in the last two I have found that MSG is one of the ingredents that causes my heart to beat irregular .Not buying food which contained msg I found my problem resloved . MSG is not needed in food , simple as that !!

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 26 Jun 08 1:42pm

adajeannie

From South Africa

I never said MSG is good for you..... smile   Just that you can find two opposites of the scope on everything on the net.... Luckily I shop (mostly organic) at Woolworths Foods here in SA and there are no added MSG in any of their products.... and I hardly ever eat take out.... All that oil..... cringe!  I would rather cook an egg....

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 08 Jan 13 3:41am

mood

Member since Tue 08 Jan 13

When I suffer an MSG attack I know right away. My heart rate goes up to 105 bpm and my blood pressure goes up to 178 over 85 - most times I suffer split vision which deteriorates to where I just  see colours and squiggles. I am sitting tonight because my wife's homemade Bits and Bites caused an attack. By process of elimination as I didn't want dinner tonight, I only had a small bowl of the treat. I cannot eat the official bits and bites because it list msg in the ingredients list. Lea and Perrins Worcestershire   appears to be the culprit.  Everything else is natural. This is my third attack this past 7 days. She just started these treats since Christmas to give me a healthy option. Look out for natural flavourings - hot dogs - seasoned salt - any western Chinese foods - Pringles - etc. I eat almost naturally now just to survive I am obese and it sees that I have been suffering from this for years.
My favourite food has always been Chinese food

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 11 Jan 13 3:41pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

reported

Edit..spam post has gone...but i'm stillhere...

Last edited by wine~o (Fri 11 Jan 13 5:53pm)

Likes (0)