Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 02 Feb 08 6:31pm

prettywoman

Member since Sat 02 Feb 08

Flavored salt

Hello from Manitoba Canada

1 night when Jamies show was on and it was about Salt and he used hot  chili  peppers that he added to the salt into a Food Processor mixed it well. then he put it into a cookie sheet to dry

what i need to know is how many to use and what kind
Can anyone Help me out

Thanking You in Advance
Debbie

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 02 Feb 08 6:59pm

chacha1103

Occupation High School kid
From Ottawa, Canada
Member since Tue 23 Oct 07

Re: Flavored salt

Any kind of hot pepper should work but ideally use red chili's and the salt if im not mistaken was coarse sea salt. As for the measurements...  just put the peppers in to taste. If you want it hot put more in. Welcome to the forums from a fellow canuck.

Cheers,
Chase smile

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 02 Feb 08 7:14pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Hi Debbie, welcome -

Flavoured Salt......from his book "Jamie's Kitchen".

A flavoured salt is one of the simplest and most basic ways of finishing a dish - it's so easy and tasty, yet hardly anyone does it.  When I was growing up, celery salt seemed very uninspiring, but actually sprinkled over a tomato salad or used to season a beef stew it was gorgeous.  Flavoured salts can actually give some really  fragrant and shocking results to your palate.  Things like Jasmine tea salt have traditionally been used in Japanese and Chinese cooking for flavouring things like tempura.  Even a simple portion of chips/French fries can be taken in a different direction by sprinkling them with flavoured salt - using, for example, Mexican or English herbs to flavour.

There's nothing better than trying things out for yourself, but if you start off with a good mineral salt which is not too strong, and fresh ingredients, you'll get amazing results.  Garlic and citrus, and soft herbs like coriander, mint and basil, will gradually lose the real flavour qualities you are after, i.e. the aroma and freshness, so they are best made to order- but they only take a few seconds, so that's cool.  I prefer to make them as I need them, or a day in advance, so that they'll taste amazing, but if you want to make them ahead of time they'll happily sit on the shelf  for months in an airtight container, though they won't be quite as vibrant.

Get your chosen flavours together and bash them up in a pestle and mortar until you have a powder or pulp  If you are using ginger, lemongrass or fresh chillies, these need to be sliced and warmed in the oven before pounding to dry them out, otherwise they will make the salt wet.
Add 3 times their weight in salt, pound together and then either leave the mixture coarse or pass it through a sieve.  You can also use a food processor.
The moisture in your flavouring will probably cause your salt to dry into a block after a day or two which is fine, because you can just bash it up when you need it..  Alternatively, once the salt has been flavoured you can lay it out on a tray and put in in the oven at its lowest temperature overnight.  Doing this means that the salt will stay granular.

Feel free to make up your own combination of flavours, or try one of the five I've suggested.  As long as the combination works, these salts can complement just about anything - meats, vegetables, fish, savoury pastires....you name it.

Here are a few of my favourite flavourings for salt.

jasmine tea
fennel seed lemon zest and vanilla
lavender rosemary and thyme
lime zest lemongrass chilli and ginger
Szechuan peppercorns chilli and ginger

Cheers!

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 07 Apr 08 3:23pm

Gianfranco

Member since Mon 07 Apr 08

prettywoman wrote:

Hello from Manitoba Canada

1 night when Jamies show was on and it was about Salt and he used hot  chili  peppers that he added to the salt into a Food Processor mixed it well. then he put it into a cookie sheet to dry

what i need to know is how many to use and what kind
Can anyone Help me out

Thanking You in Advance
Debbie

Try to smoke your salt....
Is the best way to remind you the barbecue when eating pop corn watching tv...
wink

http://forum.bbq4all.it/viewtopic.php?p=3820#p3820

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 13 Nov 08 6:47pm

acw2

Member since Thu 13 Nov 08

Did you know you can now buy apple wood and / or maple wood smoked sea salt
also vanilla sea salt and a chili salt?

I found them on ebay, really scrummy  yummy

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 22 Dec 08 9:27pm

Bengalcat

Member since Sun 16 Nov 08

Has anyone tried Hawaiian Black Salt? I wonder if it colours the food with greyish tinge. I'd like to try it for the mineral content though.
http://images.google.com/images?sourcei … amp;tab=wi

Someone has created a coconut flavoured black sea salt... I wonder what it is like?
http://www.saltistry.us/catalog/i26.html

BC

Last edited by Bengalcat (Mon 22 Dec 08 9:27pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 23 Dec 08 5:55pm

SaltyMouth

Member since Tue 23 Dec 08

For additional salt flavors and recipe ideas, check the salts that I hand-craft using Fleur de Sel from the Re Island of France.

www.secretsalts.com

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 10 Aug 10 12:01pm

mjcmonique

Occupation a happy stay home mum
From Gamlingay, Bedfordshire
Member since Mon 02 Aug 10

Hi

I am so happy that i found this recipe again  big_smile iI saw this a few days ago bud i forget where it was  sad  So i search,search and search a bit more on the internet and now i finally found it  thumbsup I bought a whole bunch of chillie's so it would be a waist if i didn't found the recipe again

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 11 Aug 10 10:32am

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Hi Bengalcat

It would be great to hear more about how you hand craft the salt?

Cheers

Danny

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 11 Aug 10 11:34am

MsK

Forum champ
Occupation Travelling around the globe..
From ..Holland..land of windmills!!
Member since Tue 12 Jan 10

Am here reading about the flavoured salt...and i often make my own vanilla sugar (or cinnamon sugar) but those are ''dry spices''..
Last week i had a desert...lemon sherbet with strawberries and basil sugar..the basil sugar was amazing!!
Anybody knows how to make it..?

Likes (0)